New to NCL.....Dining?????

martyap

Ok, just booked the Breakaway for December 2013. Have no idea how dining works on NCL..... In addition to the MDR are all other eateries an upcharge? Does NCL have anytime dining in the MDR? Is the MDR food OK? Any info would be appreciated.....Thanks.

Karen

No, not all restaurants outside of the MDR are fee based. You will find several options for dining that are free!

Dining rooms are open for certain hours during the day, the times will be listed in the Daily. Some of the fee based restaurants will require reservations, others you will be able to see availability posted outside the restaurant. Otherwise you just show up and ask for a table like at any other land restaurant.

The MDR food for me is fine, I have enjoyed all the free restaurants and have only once purchased a pay meal on the SUN. You might think I'm off my rocker but food is very personal and no one can tell you if you'll like it.

Buffets on NCL are fine, some are congested but others are well laid out, so who knows what it will be like on the new ship, you will find things to eat so don't worry about that.

Also, the dinning rooms on NCL are "Freestyle." That means you do not have a fixed seating time for dinner, and you don't sit at the same table every dinner. The MDR's work more like a restaurant on shore. Show up when you want, and you'll be guided to a table by a host or hostess.

The MDR menus have a certain number of selections that are the same all the time, and a page of selections that vary every day - again, just like a shore-based restaurant.

Finally, dinner dress is much more relaxed. In most restaurants, nice shorts and a nice casual shirt is acceptable dress for men. However, usually in one of the two MDR's, and in the "Bistro" or equivalent fee restaurant, shorts are not allowed.

NCL has "dress up or not" nights, when you can wear dressy clothes is you want to. In our experience, about 1/3 of the passengers choose to dress up, the rest do not.

No need to be confused by NCL dining.

"Does NCL have anytime dining in the MDR?" All NCL dining is "anytime dining"

Freestyle dining is the same as land based restaurants. You walk to whichever main diningroom you choose during open hours (posted in your dailies), go to the host/hostess and asked to be seated. You will be seated at a table suited for the number in your party. Or make reservations at a specialty, additional pay restaurant during the hours they are open (again posted in your dailies) go to the host/hostess give your name and again be seated at a table suited for the number in your party. Or another option is go to the light meal restaurant (24 hr dining venue) for some wings as your apetizer, walk to one of the main dining rooms for your entree and grab some ice cream from the buffet for desert.

Here is the dining guide for NCL with the variety of dining venues and their prices. Of course the Breakaway is not on here yet, but it will give you an idea.

http://www2.ncl.com/sites/default/files/DiningGuide_05212012.pdf

"Is the MDR food OK?" That question is very subjective and you will find answers from Great to Inedible depending on which review you read and what their expectations are or even in some cases, how much they wish to berate NCL.

We never had a problem with any meals we've had in the MDRs on our cruises. We thought they were tasty and cooked the way we liked.

we are also considering NCL sun for november or december 2013 (want to visit southern caribbean without having to go to Puerto Rico) it is between NCL and Princess. Anyway, I was wondering, as I am a RCL cruiser, does the NCL sun have a free cafe with pastries and small sandwiches? (like cafe promenade on RCL) and does NCL sun have a mini golf course?

MARTYAP, I am not takin over your thread but we may end up on the same cruise? what date are you going? I am really nervous about leaving RCL, but they don't do southern caribbean from florida.

we are also considering NCL sun for november or december 2013 (want to visit southern caribbean without having to go to Puerto Rico) it is between NCL and Princess. Anyway, I was wondering, as I am a RCL cruiser, does the NCL sun have a free cafe with pastries and small sandwiches? (like cafe promenade on RCL) and does NCL sun have a mini golf course?.

No mini golf on the SUN, she has a sports court (basketball) 2 swimming pools 4 hot tubs and a tiny kids pool.

In the Java Cafe you can buy fancy coffees and the pastries are free.

On deck 12 she has a wonderful panoramic Observation Lounge with floor to ceiling windows for great forward views.

The SUN is a smaller ship, but her balcony cabins are largest in the NCL fleet. If you are looking for rock climbing, slides, trampolines the SUN will disappoint.

Archived