Need help with Pre-Post Land Vacation

Hello all!

I am doing my first disney cruise. Its been my dream for as long as the ships have been out. However, I need some recommendations on the pre-post vacations. I want to do a day before and a day after my 3 day cruise to the bahamas on the Dream. does anyone know if that is possible? Have you done it? Where do you recommend staying?

Thanks!!!

PS. Any recommendations for a Birthday would be appreciated as I am spending my birthday onboard! :)

Are you heading out from Port Canaveral? You're only about an hour from Disney! Lots of folks slip in a trip to the parks before and/or after their cruise. Also, Cape Canaveral is pretty cool! Definitely TELL Disney Cruise line that it's your birthday. They make your day special! We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary on the Wonder last year in Alaska. We got a special dessert, buttons to wear and the most adorable towel love swans with rose petals on our bed that evening!;)

Have you ever done the disney transfers from the hotels? I guess that I am nervous about the whole process from landing to hotel to ship.

If you stay at at WDW resort, and fly into MCO, Magical Express (free service) is what you take from the airport to the hotel.

From the hotel to the port it's DCL transfers ($35 pp). And from the port back to WDW (or the airport) it's the DCL transfers again (another $35 pp).

We've done it. Really easy. And, if using the DCL transfers from WDW to the port, you will be notified what time to have your bags ready in the morning for transport to the ship. You leave the checked bags in your room and they are picked up (about 8:00) to be sent to the ship. The next time you see them will be at your stateroom onboard.

:)

If you stay at at WDW resort, and fly into MCO, Magical Express (free service) is what you take from the airport to the hotel.

From the hotel to the port it's DCL transfers ($35 pp). And from the port back to WDW (or the airport) it's the DCL transfers again (another $35 pp).

We've done it. Really easy. And, if using the DCL transfers from WDW to the port, you will be notified what time to have your bags ready in the morning for transport to the ship. You leave the checked bags in your room and they are picked up (about 8:00) to be sent to the ship. The next time you see them will be at your stateroom onboard.

Thank you so much for the information!!!! I don't know if you have done this before, do you have a recommendation of which on to stay at for the DCL transfer? I know they have a list of some of the hotels that do it. Any suggestions would be recommended. Especially post cruise when I'll want to wind down and less walking around the hotel would nice.

Thank you so much for the information!!!! I don't know if you have done this before, do you have a recommendation of which on to stay at for the DCL transfer? I know they have a list of some of the hotels that do it. Any suggestions would be recommended. Especially post cruise when I'll want to wind down and less walking around the hotel would nice.

AFAIK, DCL transfers go from all the WDW resorts. Except (maybe) Swan & Dolphin, I'm not sure.

Although we are new to the Disney Cruise line, we have made many trips to WDW. WDW Resort hotels come in 3 categories; deluxe, moderate and value. Our favorites by category: Deluxe - Grand Floridian if you are traveling with children, for easy entry to Magic Kingdom or Boardwalk Inn for adults, for easy entry to Epcot & Hollywood Studios. Moderate - Port Orleans Riverside for beauty and many activities for all ages or Coronado Springs for adults only. Value - Pop Century for best bus service to all of the parks. (all value resorts are full of children)

By the way, book your Disney resort with WDW, not through DCL. You may be able to take advantage of resort discounts. DCL is not able to offer these discounts.

I would stick with a Disney resort both before and after your cruise, with DCL transfers. Luggage and Transportation to/from airport, port, and resorts will be a breeze. Enjoy!

Don't be nervous! One of the main reasons we "do" Disney A LOT (and are Disney Vacation Club owners) is for the peace of mind. Everything should go very smoothly....just as a vacation should! Shmoo and Idylethyme gave you all the details now, just go to the Disney website and check out the different hotels. They all have something special to offer! Then....ENJOY!!:D

Thank you so much for your replies!!!! I will follow those. Does anyone know when they will open the first half of 2013 up for hotel reservations? that would be nice to know. I am travelling in March and I can't get a room, but most of the airlines already have the flight schedule, which to me is totally backwards. :)

Here's a suggestion :)

Don't know your schedule or work vacation situation...

you could put your 2 days before the cruise and fly home the last day. Or if possible, do 2 days before and keep your 1 day post cruise.

IF you could, fly in two days early....

Have Disney's Magical Express take you to resort - free of charge.

You could try the new Art of Animation Resort at WDW, or any of the Value Resorts.

First day would be travel day (depending on how far it is)

You would have time to visit one of the parks that evening.

The 2nd day you could go to your favorite park for the day, or most of the day and then see another one for dinner/evening.

I'm just thinking that if you fly in and only stay one night before the cruise, most of your day will be spent flying, at the airport, etc. you'd only have a 1/2 day (or less) to enjoy WDW.

I see you'll be turning 26, so you're young - you can do all of that LOL

You've already spent the money to travel there, why not spend one extra night and get to enjoy it.

Reserve Disney Transport from your WDW resort to the ship. (35.00) They will pick up your luggage from your room, and you'll see it again in your stateroom onboard.

Just keep your carry-on/day bag for your cruise documents, swimsuit, medications, etc.

Reserve transportation with Disney from the port to the WDW resort after the cruise. (35.00)

Pick a different WDW resort for your post-cruise.

Perhaps a "beach" theme...somewhere you could relax and enjoy the resort. If you get the urge, you could hop on a Disney resort bus to Downtown Disney for dinner and some shopping. (Downtown Disney doesn't require any type of ticket or entrance fee)

The next day, take the free Disney transport to the airport.

You might want to read my Disney Dream review, listed in my signature....more details in there about the transportation and The Dream itself.

Please let us know what you decide!! :)

Here's a suggestion :)

Don't know your schedule or work vacation situation...

you could put your 2 days before the cruise and fly home the last day. Or if possible, do 2 days before and keep your 1 day post cruise.

IF you could, fly in two days early....

Have Disney's Magical Express take you to resort - free of charge.

You could try the new Art of Animation Resort at WDW, or any of the Value Resorts.

First day would be travel day (depending on how far it is)

You would have time to visit one of the parks that evening.

The 2nd day you could go to your favorite park for the day, or most of the day and then see another one for dinner/evening.

I'm just thinking that if you fly in and only stay one night before the cruise, most of your day will be spent flying, at the airport, etc. you'd only have a 1/2 day (or less) to enjoy WDW.

I see you'll be turning 26, so you're young - you can do all of that LOL

You've already spent the money to travel there, why not spend one extra night and get to enjoy it.

Reserve Disney Transport from your WDW resort to the ship. (35.00) They will pick up your luggage from your room, and you'll see it again in your stateroom onboard.

Just keep your carry-on/day bag for your cruise documents, swimsuit, medications, etc.

Reserve transportation with Disney from the port to the WDW resort after the cruise. (35.00)

Pick a different WDW resort for your post-cruise.

Perhaps a "beach" theme...somewhere you could relax and enjoy the resort. If you get the urge, you could hop on a Disney resort bus to Downtown Disney for dinner and some shopping. (Downtown Disney doesn't require any type of ticket or entrance fee)

The next day, take the free Disney transport to the airport.

You might want to read my Disney Dream review, listed in my signature....more details in there about the transportation and The Dream itself.

Please let us know what you decide!! :)

Thanks Foggy!!!!! That really helps. I didn't see the Animation on the list of hotels that are available for DCL, however I think I'll make a call today to see if it is on the list.

Also, I read the review (AWESOME) just wondering if I can get the secret to the shower?!!! lol.. :p

Archived