past SA O Cruisers

Acrusa

1) Punta del Este:-Uruguay: Is a tour worth while, any recommendations?

Is there a free shuttle provided by O.

2) Montevideo: Anyone taken the Jewish Heritage tour?

Has anyonebeen to the Uruguay Winery tours that O offers?

1) You might want to take a tour if you don't want to beach it. On our cruise, the ship anchored and the tender went right into the marina which is pretty close to any sort of "downtown" there, so there wasn't a shuttle at this port.

Can't help with 2), sorry.

Some of my Trivia mates did so last February take the winery tour, but instead or using O's tours, they did a private tour. They said it was fantastic. I have read somewhere else in the board that the Jewish tour was good. We did not do it but instead hired a private guide to take us around and we had a really good tour.

In 2010 (Insignia) we did the "O" wine tour in Montevideo and it was wonderful. Because we were a small group they hosted us in the cellar instead of the large upstairs room.First we toured the vineyards and learned about the different grapes and could pick the of the vines. We went back to the main area and were taken down to the cellar with the casks. They had tables with white linen cloths and the chairs had formal white chair covers. We were served several courses of food, each paired with wine that was explained. We were able to have more of any of the selections were like. They kept bringing food that was being grilled outside and side dishes. (I have never eaten more meat than in SA) and dessert with port was excellent. We were then entertained by 2 excellent flamengo dancers. I must say that many of us had a very sleepy coach trip back to the ship! I don't remember exactly what we paid, but all felt it was worth it.

When we were in Uruguay, we took a fabulous tour (and, of course, can't remember the name) which included crossing the most interesting bridge, the Dali museum, and general interesting sites. I will go back through my pictures and get the specific names and repost. We've been there twice, and we have loved it. Great place.

On our SA cruise we took the ship's tour in Punta del Este which stopped several places including a good modern latin american art museum and several art installations on the beaches. Good tour.

Near the end the guide suggested those who wanted to could get off the bus and walk back to the dock. Many of us did and it was a nice walk through the shopping district. Be sure to get a map.

We did have some trouble finding the tender so make a good note of where you are dropped off as it is a marina with several docks. Our pick up point was on the lower level of a dock and we could not see it from up above.

Archived