Driving to Port Everglades on Sun 7/15

For those folks who may be driving to Port Everglades on Sunday, you should know that there will be major construction on I-595. See story:

The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) plans to raise the flyover ramp from southbound University Drive to eastbound I-595 by 18 inches to accommodate the future construction of additional I-595 travel lanes. No cars will be permitted to travel under the structure during this work (for approximately 24 hours). The following roadways will be closed from 11:30 p.m. Saturday, July 14 to 11:30 p.m. Sunday, July 15:

• The ramp from southbound University Drive to eastbound I-595.

• Northbound and southbound University Drive at I-595.

• Westbound SR 84 from SR 7 / US 441 to Pine Island Road (with no access to Florida’s Turnpike).

• Westbound I-595 from University Drive to Pine Island Road.

• Eastbound I-595 on-ramps from Weston Road to University Drive.

• Florida’s Turnpike to westbound I-595 and westbound SR 84.

• SR 7 / US 441 to westbound I-595 and westbound SR 84.

Eastbound I-595 lanes will be detoured to eastbound SR 84 prior to University Drive for the 24 hour period.

“During this 24 hour closure, we are encouraging motorists to seek alternate routes, like Griffin Road or Broward Boulevard,” said FDOT I-595 Project Manager Paul Lampley. “There are signs advising motorists of the closures and identifying the detour routes.”

Glad to see they're still moving right along... we always stay in Plantation (nice 1/2way point from the port & Sawgrass);) and have seen the slow progression since my 1st trip down in Dec 2009... have to say this April's was the worst yet - crawled along for about 45 minutes trying to get to ummm the Costco exit lol I think that's University... the one bad thing about GPS's - don't ever ~really~ know where you are :)

There is also some major construction that just began near the south entrance to the port. This includes the route from the airport and from US1. There will be detours for about a year. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fl-port-everglades-detour-brf-20120710,0,5500553.story

I'm not sure if this is going to cause backups.

Not that i've got anything planned right now but here's hoping I book soon... Which is considered the South entrance? When I drive in I usually go in the one with the Chevron on one corner and the ?Thrifty? on the other and a car dealership and hotel maybe across the street??

how do I remember seeing all this... usually just focused on getting to the ship!

Thanks...forgot about it being this week. Good day

to stay home and BBQ by the pool...read CC, :cool:.

They have been installing jacks for two weeks, getting ready.

I heard they raise the entire bridge about one inch per hour.

I'll have to go over and get some pics of that.

I figure a 24 hour detour is better for everybody than

constructing a NEW bridge for months.

The State Road 84 entrance is the one by Chevron

and Mercedes dealer. The entrance having major changes is the

I-595 entrance...straight east off I-595.

Griffin is a good east-west alternate to the south but it

will be crowded Sunday for sure.

:eek:

Archived