Dolphins or Whales?

Michaline

:D In the Carribean occasionally you will see Dolphins after just leaving or before entering Ports. Whales mostly on Alaska Cruises, although on rare occassion you might see one or a Basking Shark.

We have alot of Atlantic Bottlenosed Dolphins here in Galveston Bay, and the harbor itself for that matter. Usually there are not quite as many in the winter, which here is late Dec., Jan. early Feb.. If you are cruising out of here, and are early, ride the Boliver Ferry (free) over and back, you'll usually see several dolphin along the way.

I have had them come up beside me when wade fishing, which can make you hurt yourself!

We saw a huge pod of Dolphins (are dolphins in pods??) when sailing between St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Okay, I should say I saw them, my DH thought I was halucinating - until our balcony neighbour stuck his head around and told DH he saw them too! lol

On a Mexican Riviera cruise a couple of years ago, we had spinner dolphins riding the wake of the ship and putting on quite a show. They stayed for about a 1/2 hour and I think everybody ran out of film. I've also seen grey whales on several of my winter Mexican Riviera cruises.

We had dolphins riding the wake of the ship in the Baltic and all kinds of whales in Antarctica. The Orcas (3 or 4) that came right up to he zodiac that had about a dozen people onboard were very amusing to those of us watching from the deck of the ship.

We also had a pod of 5 or 6 dolphins who were frolicing in front of the tender going to West Point Island in the Falklands. They reminded me of a bunch of naughty boys playing "Chicken" in front of the boat. They played for 10 to 15 minutes. What a special event.

Fran

Archived