Weather & Seas

Tika

What kind of weather should we expect TA Eastbound & Westboud New York to Southhampton and back in the months of May & June? I have read some reviews that state it has either been too cold, windy or rough seas to enjoy being out on deck. We are looking at a wonderful QM2 itinerary but I have concerns about not being able to enjoy being out on the decks during the daytime by a pool or just relaxing with a book somewhere sunny and warm. I'm just wondering if we should fly to Southampton and pick up the middle segment of this particular cruise and then reluctently fly again back home to NY. WE have planned to book either Queens Grill or Princess Grill and it seems like a lot of money to spend if we cannot enjoy the balcony etc. Any input would be most sincerely appreciated!

We have been on many, many cruises but never on a Cunard Ship and I so much want to have that experience while we can still walk, talk, sit and smile etc.

What kind of weather should we expect TA Eastbound & Westboud New York to Southhampton and back in the months of May & June? I have read some reviews that state it has either been too cold, windy or rough seas to enjoy being out on deck. We are looking at a wonderful QM2 itinerary but I have concerns about not being able to enjoy being out on the decks during the daytime by a pool or just relaxing with a book somewhere sunny and warm. I'm just wondering if we should fly to Southampton and pick up the middle segment of this particular cruise and then reluctently fly again back home to NY. WE have planned to book either Queens Grill or Princess Grill and it seems like a lot of money to spend if we cannot enjoy the balcony etc. Any input would be most sincerely appreciated!

We have been on many, many cruises but never on a Cunard Ship and I so much want to have that experience while we can still walk, talk, sit and smile etc.

Weather is always going to be unpredictable, just like life!

You are from N J so are not from a hot house state you are used to a bit of weather take the right kind of jacket to keep you warm and dry, you will need that in Europe also.

If you wait for the right "time" it will never arrive. Go for it and enjoy it.

I did a B2B transatlantic in May/June this year - the weather was unpredictable, with beautiful sunshine, fog, showers, everything - but that's the nature of transatlantic voyages. I would not have missed it for anything, it's the total experience of being on this wonderful ocean liner. We had one night of rough seas (IMO), but just got the pills from the pursers desk and was fine after that.

Dozing in a steamer chair while reading my kindle, in beautiful sunshine - nothing better, but on deck in bracing breezes was wonderful too. You will have plenty of time while in the med for lazing on deck, but the transatlantic is totally something else!

I was in steerage :) in an inside cabin, so didn't have the luxury of a balcony, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the magic of the ship, but with a 75% single supplement imposed it was what my budget limited me to.

Go for it - enjoy it whatever the weather, there is so much to do on board that you won't even notice the weather. :cool:

I did a B2B transatlantic in May/June this year - the weather was unpredictable, with beautiful sunshine, fog, showers, everything - but that's the nature of transatlantic voyages. I would not have missed it for anything, it's the total experience of being on this wonderful ocean liner. We had one night of rough seas (IMO), but just got the pills from the pursers desk and was fine after that.

Dozing in a steamer chair while reading my kindle, in beautiful sunshine - nothing better, but on deck in bracing breezes was wonderful too. You will have plenty of time while in the med for lazing on deck, but the transatlantic is totally something else!

I was in steerage :) in an inside cabin, so didn't have the luxury of a balcony, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the magic of the ship, but with a 75% single supplement imposed it was what my budget limited me to.

Go for it - enjoy it whatever the weather, there is so much to do on board that you won't even notice the weather. :cool:

Eratog2,

Thank you for your inspirering post! Much appreciated! I have gone TA in May to Italy but it was so many years ago when I was a teen I really don't remember weather issues and I am concerened that DH might get cabin fever with inclement conditions while at sea.

Cabin fever?? He won't have time for that! There's so much happening all the time to keep you occupied. I loved the quizzes in the Golden Lion, and met some lovely people who I joined forces with and we did (almost) all the quizzes and had great fun. I met someone who was thinking about buying an ipad, so hired one aboard and went for lessons in Connexions - great idea I thought.

If I could afford it, I would do transatlantic every month, I loved it so much, and am now looking at doing another. I like them because, as a solo traveller, I don't have to worry about going ashore, excursions, missing coaches, missing the ship :eek: - it's a very easy option. :D:cool::D

Archived