Steakhouse and an almost 2yo

mandakate42

I'm a grandfather who loves children and in my humble opinion, I just don't think the 2 year old would enjoy the experience. I would even have serious doubts about young teens having a good time. I know the waiters would bend over backwards to make sure you had an enjoyable experience and I doubt that you would get the "evil eye" from other adult diners. That said, I don't think most couples celebrating a special occasion in a beautiful steakhouse would be overjoyed to be seated at a table adjacent to a 2yo coloring or playing with an i-pad or coloring. I would also hate to be next to a boorish, drunken adult, for that matter.

You hope the ipad and coloring books keep her occupied or entertained? Look I love my small children but I would not take them to the steakhouse if I hoped the coloring books would work. I would not take mine because I know these things would not keep them occupied for 2+ hours. I would let camp carnival feed them as they sometimes do. Or not go.

I do not recall it being Adults only. Can you clarify that for me?

It isn't.

And as far as a 2 year old "enjoying it"? Irrelevant. When I wanted my kid with me, it was my choice. We cruise as a family, and eat as a family. Move the good food out of the MDR, we will choose if we want to follow it.

Children are more than welcome in the steakhouse. It's been a while since even Carnival dropped the "supper club" schtick.

To be fair adult only and adult affair do not have the same meaning.

A long multi course meal is likely less toddler friendly and generally something adults are willing to trudge through. In some ways eating like that or forcing a little one to endure that is just as unfair to the kid.

If they can handle it great. Many likely could not.

Again the op "hoped" the coloring books would work. A little to iffy for me but she does have a right to take her kids and "hope" for the best.

As far as not being fine dinning, it is the fine dinning on that ship at that moment even if it isn't the Waldorf or Victoria's and Albert's or other finer place when on land.

It isn't.

And as far as a 2 year old "enjoying it"? Irrelevant. When I wanted my kid with me, it was my choice. We cruise as a family, and eat as a family. Move the good food out of the MDR, we will choose if we want to follow it.

Children are more than welcome in the steakhouse. It's been a while since even Carnival dropped the "supper club" schtick.

As far as being relevant, I think it is. Who would want to take a 2 year old to something that she would not enjoy.

As far as being relevant, I think it is. Who would want to take a 2 year old to something that she would not enjoy.

You take a two year old to a place that they don't enjoy and chances are they'll make you pay:)

I personally would wait a few years because you never know what will make a toddler cranky. It stinks to have to leave a restaurant in the middle of a meal.

I wouldn't have a problem with a toddler in a specialty restaurant who had the rare capability of toddler to sit quietly throughout the entire meal. However, a couple of years ago I paid $40 in a specialty restaurant plus the cost of a bottle of wine and there was a young child at the table next to me whose parents allowed him to watch action type cartoons, LOUD, on a DVD player the entire time, which eventually bored him, causing him to whine and cry to get out of his seat. Needless to say, as I left the so called fine dining experience, my food was stuck in my throat and I had indigestion.

Carnival may "welcome" them but your fellow diners won't.

I'll join in for the flaming. Carnival kind of has to give in to those people who have the attitude their young child can go "anywhere". But, it's a true adult thing. People can keep the child quiet, that's NOT the point. The point is it should be a quiet adult getaway, to talk, stay in adult mood. Having young ones there simply interrupts the "atmosphere" of why couples go there in the first place. A young child could care less about the dining experience, they just need to eat. They can be with you anywhere else, but it shouldn't be in this eatery.

well d amned if she does and d amned if she doesn't. i thought good parenting was to take things to keep your child entertained. now you say not appropriate?

fine dining? it's a steakhouse on a carnival cruise ship. black tie not required....and even so....so what.

many fine establishments provide entertainment for kiddos. they even entertain the annoying adults sometimes.

op, take your child if you wish! don't worry about others' opinions as you know what your child is capable of.

I hear what you are saying but a 2 1/2 hour steakhouse dinner is difficult for any 2 year old to sit thru without getting restless.

Hard enough for them to do a 90 minute DR dinner.

So, I have a sweet, wonderful 2 year old who also throws tantrums and can't sit still anywhere for 15 minutes, let alone in a restaurant. We're leaving him with his Nana for our first vacation since he was born and I personally would consider the steak house an adult-themed evening and wouldn't want to sit next to a restless child.

That said, you know your child best and whether they could make it through an evening in a quiet restaurant. Please be considerate of your fellow diners. If your child is like my son, one of you will be rushing to eat while the other is taking the little one for a walk to keep them entertained.

Needless to say, we're in a 'no restaurants with our beloved child' phase.

Best of luck :cool:

Mindy

I haven't been to the steak house with CCL but I have with NCL. If they are anything alike the tables are pretty close. It would irritate me to sit in an intimate environment next to a table with a two year old dropping food, sippy cup and crayons on the floor. JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree with what other people have said, but this is my personal take on it.

I have 4 kids now aged 15-23. We spent years going to child friendly places, and even those times, myself or my husband had to get up and "stroll aroud" so my parents (if they were with us) or other families could eat in peace.

Can you take your child?, yes there is no rule against it. However, wouldn't it be nice to have one meal where the thought of what he/she might do was not even a consideration. When our kids were that age I would rush through the meal, so I could be free if one of them had a meltdown. They were good kids, but they were kids!

You have the rest of the year to sit and share a meal. Of course you are going on vacation as a family and no one has the right to say otherwise. I was thinking that you and your spouse deserve a night where your attention is solely on each other, and is adult only. As I look back I cherished those few meals where all the silverware, glasses, salt and pepper shakers weren't pushed to one side of the table:)

Whatever you do, enjoy your cruise!

So, I have a sweet, wonderful 2 year old who also throws tantrums and can't sit still anywhere for 15 minutes, let alone in a restaurant. We're leaving him with his Nana for our first vacation since he was born and I personally would consider the steak house an adult-themed evening and wouldn't want to sit next to a restless child.

That said, you know your child best and whether they could make it through an evening in a quiet restaurant. Please be considerate of your fellow diners. If your child is like my son, one of you will be rushing to eat while the other is taking the little one for a walk to keep them entertained.

Needless to say, we're in a 'no restaurants with our beloved child' phase.

Best of luck :cool:

Mindy

This made me laugh. I remember the no restaurant phase very well. We were thrown into it when my son threw a french fry at an elderly guy's head. Awesome aim on my son's part but not proper dining behavior.

This made me laugh. I remember the no restaurant phase very well. We were thrown into it when my son threw a french fry at an elderly guy's head. Awesome aim on my son's part but not proper dining behavior.

Funny

I agree with what other people have said, but this is my personal take on it.

I have 4 kids now aged 15-23. We spent years going to child friendly places, and even those times, myself or my husband had to get up and "stroll aroud" so my parents (if they were with us) or other families could eat in peace.

Can you take your child?, yes there is no rule against it. However, wouldn't it be nice to have one meal where the thought of what he/she might do was not even a consideration. When our kids were that age I would rush through the meal, so I could be free if one of them had a meltdown. They were good kids, but they were kids!

You have the rest of the year to sit and share a meal. Of course you are going on vacation as a family and no one has the right to say otherwise. I was thinking that you and your spouse deserve a night where your attention is solely on each other, and is adult only. As I look back I cherished those few meals where all the silverware, glasses, salt and pepper shakers weren't pushed to one side of the table:)

Whatever you do, enjoy your cruise!

Excellent post and lets go JETSSSS

icon7.gif

Funny I would have thought being a parent would make me want my child to enjoy an event. I certainly would not consider it irrelevant if they did not enjoy it. Very relevent IMO. ;)

I suppose one would have to hang out in a Chuck E. Cheese to understand how a child can enjoy a meal. Never been to one, though.

We've never even needed toys or distractions at a table, even now. You finish what you start with, is the old saying.

And our experience has always been an extra 1/2 hour in the steakhouse vs. the MDR.

Conversation. Must be a lost art. We've never been at a loss of it at any age. And I know we are not alone.

I haven't been to the steak house with CCL but I have with NCL. If they are anything alike the tables are pretty close. It would irritate me to sit in an intimate environment next to a table with a two year old dropping food, sippy cup and crayons on the floor. JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That would be annoying at any age, especially if I were at that table.

I suppose one would have to hang out in a Chuck E. Cheese to understand how a child can enjoy a meal. Never been to one, though.

We've never even needed toys or distractions at a table, even now. You finish what you start with, is the old saying.

And our experience has always been an extra 1/2 hour in the steakhouse vs. the MDR.

Conversation. Must be a lost art. We've never been at a loss of it at any age. And I know we are not alone.

You finish what you start with? My 13 year old son doesn't need a coloring book to make it through a meal. He can also sit for hours and participate in nearly all conversations. He got this way because I didn't expect him to behave in a way that was unreasonable.

Expecting any almost two year old to quietly sit still for hours is crazy. They don't have the attention span and they can't be reasoned with.

People complain that "informal attire" ruins the ambiance of the dining experience in the MDR. (For the record...I don't agree.)

However, people pay for an "adult dining experience" in the steakhouse. Having a child nearby...that distracts in any way (noise, coloring books etc) does ruin the ambiance.

It's not fair to the other adults to allow children in. It should be above "a certain age" only........

I never took my son to adult restaurants until he was an adult.

Just my opinion.......

How about this perspective. When you were dating, you sit together, talk nicely to each other, maybe celebrating a personal event, maybe even being proposed to and then whammo...a kid breaks the ambiance! Kind of takes the "moment" away.

Now, you focus is not the meal and your spouse, it's constant glances to the tot wondering if you can keep him quiet. Some of that nice dinner is LOST.

I just don't get the "I can bring my kid anywhere" syndrome. Think about others who have absolutely no emotional attachment to YOUR child.

You finish what you start with? My 13 year old son doesn't need a coloring book to make it through a meal. He can also sit for hours and participate in nearly all conversations. He got this way because I didn't expect him to behave in a way that was unreasonable.

Expecting any almost two year old to quietly sit still for hours is crazy. They don't have the attention span and they can't be reasoned with.

I guess in our circle, we have been lucky. Most have no problem sitting, and we still enforce that they need to be excused if they want to leave the table. That starts from the time they can walk.

And BTW, when even today I am out, and notice out of control kids, I still can look around and see other kids sitting there, behaving themselves. There are so many more of them, if you take a look.

I was also the proud father when the nosy women used to walk over and compliment me when it was just the two of us sitting at the table, how good she was, when we were out.

I look forward to the day I can bring my grandkids to the steakhouse.

Archived