Steakhouse and an almost 2yo

mandakate42

I don't think the real problem is a 2yr old being in the steakhouse as much as how the parent's will respond to the child if it gets cranky. I would have no problem sitting next to a table with a young child as long as they were well behaved and the parents were responsible enough to take action if they were not. In addition, if a neighboring table had a child using an i-pad (in mute) or colorbook and crayons, I say, more power to the parent who pre-plans to keep their child occupied.

As a parent, though, I would ask myself the following questions, before making the decision to bring the toddler:

Am I willing to get up mid-meal to temporarily remove a crying toddler from the immediate area ?

Am I willing to have my $35 meal boxed-up and taken to go if my child can not be consoled and calmed down?

If I could honestly answer yes to the above questions than I would bring them. If not, then pehaps the experience may not be the enjoyable one that you had planned to celebrate.

:):)

yes.gif

What hoosier said. yes.gif

Carnival should have an age limit, 2 year olds do not belong in a fine dining establishment. It's not necessarily the parents, kids do not have that long of an attention span. Those that think it is their "right" to take a child to the Steakhouse or any nice restaurant, get a baby sitter, they are even available on the ship.

But for so many of you who seem to think there meal is completely ruined by even the smallest peep, I'd recommend lightening up a bit. There are so many more important things in life to worry about. I agree that parents (irresponsible parents, I'd say) that allow their child to fuss and whine and disrupt others are problematic and do exist. But to paint all children and parents with such a broad brush is unfair. The vitriol and nastiness directed at parents, like us, who would even dream of enjoying a nice dinner in public with our little one because he might possibly squeak during your dinner is shocking.

The reason, albeit sometimes unwarranted, is that a "smallest peep" is a slippery slope. It starts out as a quiet whimper, which most responsible parents should consider to be a warning signal, like a yellow light coming on before the red light. Minutes later, the whimper can escalate into an audible cry, then into an all-out wail. Parents with any semblance of responsibility would thank the waiter for their service, have the box boxed up, and promply leave the steakhouse before the whimper escalates.

A sizable number of parents, however, choose not to do that, either pretending not to be bothered by the crying or actually not being bothered by it. So, when people around them hear a quiet whimper (not the most pleasant, but still tolerable sound), it becomes an "uh oh" moment, a prediction of what's coming next. This is why a "smallest peep" is as irritating to people as it is, not the sound in and of itself.

Wow, I originally clicked on this thread to see what 279 posters could possible have to say to the OP. Some folks are pretty judgemental, I wonder if all of these posters have kids?(full disclosure-I didnt read ALL 279 posts!)

Here is my two cents:

It depends on the child and the parent, to say that NO children should be allowed in the Steakhouse or that the parent shouldnt bring books, ipods, etc...to keep the child entertained seems a little extreme to me. A parent knows his/her child and knows how they will behave in a restaurant. If the OP has NEVER taken the child out for a sit down, five star meal then they dont know how the kid will act and should probably make alternate plans.

As for me and my husband, we took our kids out from the time that they were newborns. We got some sour looks from staff and even other diners when we would enter an upscale restaurant in Manhattan, but I knew my kids, I knew how they would behave and was sure that there wouldnt be any problems. We have had many people compliment us on our childs behavior, but the way they behave is no accident. We made sure as parents to teach our kids how to behave in all types of restaurants so that we wouldnt have any problems.

Hopefully the OP will do the right thing for her and her child and folks wont judge her too early. Either way I am sure she will have a great cruise!

One piece of advice for the OP: If the baby doesnt feel good or is out of sorts or if its close to bedtime-DONT TAKE THE TODDLER! either skip it or get a sitter. All kids and even adults get cranky when they are tired or dont feel well. nuff said...

Sail Disney instead....NO ONE UNDER 18 allowed in Palo or Remy. Go figure. LOL.

Ironic, eh? With all the Disney bashing on here, they are VERY strict about their adult only places (pool and restaurant).

I even had my daughter wait outside while I went in and changed a ressie at Palo. They smiled and said she could come in (they were closed), and they showed her around because she was curious, and the chef who was prepping gave her some chocolate covered strawberries. She is counting the days till she is 18 (only 12 years) till she can eat in the "big girl restaurant"

Ironic, eh? With all the Disney bashing on here, they are VERY strict about their adult only places (pool and restaurant).

I even had my daughter wait outside while I went in and changed a ressie at Palo. They smiled and said she could come in (they were closed), and they showed her around because she was curious, and the chef who was prepping gave her some chocolate covered strawberries. She is counting the days till she is 18 (only 12 years) till she can eat in the "big girl restaurant"

True, Disney does not allow kids in Palo, however, I think that Disney has a much better, bigger and more organized kids club and sitter services than any other cruise line. The one Disney cruise that we took, the kids spent more time in the club than they did with us, which was a first on a cruise ship! They actually have a club for really little kids (for an addtl. charge of course) 3 months to 3 years. Of course for the price that you pay for Disney, the kids clubs better be good!

I'm jealous! I am a charter WDW veteran since 9yrs old when it opened with "E" tickets and hot weather! my previous vanity plate was mcymse.

p.s. our subway has a sign on glass please refrain from cell phone use when in line and ordering! ha.

Well, I think that should refuse service for anyone who is in any line at the grocery, department store and at the bank.

I haven't been to the steak house with CCL but I have with NCL. If they are anything alike the tables are pretty close. It would irritate me to sit in an intimate environment next to a table with a two year old dropping food, sippy cup and crayons on the floor. JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd like to think that if I was enjoying at a nice table, in a nice intimate environment, I wouldn't really be paying all that much attention to the table next to me. JMHO. Also, in my experience when I took my then 14 mo DS to eat in a similar situation it worked out great. The Crew LOVES kids. They miss their kids and take every opportunity to lavish kindness on the kids they see.

OP only You know your family, only you can judge what is a good situation for you all. Have a fantastic vacation.

True, Disney does not allow kids in Palo, however, I think that Disney has a much better, bigger and more organized kids club and sitter services than any other cruise line. The one Disney cruise that we took, the kids spent more time in the club than they did with us, which was a first on a cruise ship! They actually have a club for really little kids (for an addtl. charge of course) 3 months to 3 years. Of course for the price that you pay for Disney, the kids clubs better be good!

When you add up the onboard booking discount, OBC that TA's can still offer, and all the extra Disney includes that others do not, the price doesnt seem out of line to me.

I am giving Carnival a try because the Wonder is leaving the west coast, hopefully it will be fun too!

Threads of this nature raise the question "Is this a family vacation or an adult vacation?" A vacation with children is inherently different than an adult vacation (notice I did not say better, just different). You do different things and go different places. When kids are along, enjoy the fun family venues (for the short time your kids are saml) and save the adult venues for adult vacations.

I'd like to think that if I was enjoying at a nice table, in a nice intimate environment, I wouldn't really be paying all that much attention to the table next to me. JMHO. Also, in my experience when I took my then 14 mo DS to eat in a similar situation it worked out great. The Crew LOVES kids. They miss their kids and take every opportunity to lavish kindness on the kids they see.

OP only You know your family, only you can judge what is a good situation for you all. Have a fantastic vacation.

Umm.... no the crew does not love your child. They are hoping for tips and it is their job to be nice to the passengers. Kids are alot of work to wait on, they make a mess, and it takes alot of time to get the order because the parent will ask the child 20 times what they want to drink or eat.

Umm.... no the crew does not love your child. They are hoping for tips and it is their job to be nice to the passengers. Kids are alot of work to wait on, they make a mess, and it takes alot of time to get the order because the parent will ask the child 20 times what they want to drink or eat.

So you have inside info that each and every on board worker does not like kids?

Sorry, don't buy it. I find those that have little kids "at home" take a and to the youngins', actually stating "they have "X" at home, and start treating them as though they were a surrogate. Is it an act? Who knows, but actions show otherwise. Emotion is extremely hard to act.

I disagree, they may not love ALL children, but I imagine that there are more than a few kids on board that remind them of their own children that they left at home. I know from working with the public my whole life that you meet all types, young and old, and there have been many kids that I absolutely adore, and some not so much. It is definitely the servers job to be nice and accomodating, but some folks make it easier than others to be nice to. It depends upon the people.

1347628554.7075.iPicit.jpg

1347628677.3489.iPicit.jpg

1347628732.193.iPicit.jpg

I know not all waiters are like this but he carried my son all around the dining room multiple times. An exceptional waiter, my son named his carnival bear after him....Royston...wish we could sail with him again!!

For all who were wondering, I went ahead and canceled my reservation for the steakhouse. The cruise is another month and a half away and I'm not gonna know exactly what kind of mood she's in until that exact day and I would rather wait another year so that if she's not feeling it I can take her to camp carnival.

Thanks for everyone's opinions.

Archived