Recent Surgery - how to protect scar from sun?

I recently had surgery and was told to keep the scar out of the sun for one full year or it will get really dark. We are going on a cruise soon and I wanted to know if anyone knows of something I can put on the scar to protect it? Would zinc work? Thanks

My daughter had surgery on her nose as an infant, and her plastic surgeon had me cover her scar for two summers in a row, with a special kind of flexible tape. It is very thin, much thinner than a bandaid, and not too sticky, sort of like a post it note level of stickiness. (So it doesn't feel gross on.)

A few years later, I also had some minor surgery with the same DR and he also had me cover the scars with the same tape. He gave me about 6 rolls of it (not that I needed so many!) so I got the feeling it was fairly cheap.

Why don't you ask your DR for a roll of a similar product? It was also somewhat flesh colored (depending on your coloration, of course) so it wasn't hugely noticable.

About 2 years ago I had a scar on my cheek as a result of skin cancer. The doctor told me to keep putting Vitamin E oil on it and it would heal great.

There is no evidence of a scar.

I probably would follow the advice of the previous posters also to cover the scar.

I asked my DR and he said - "don't get in the sun!" - that's easier said than done on a cruise!!!! Do you know if they sell the "tape" at Walmart? or over the counter at a Pharmacy? Do you know if Zinc would work? Thanks for all your help!

I can only speak from my own experience, but I would say "yes". I had my skin cancer removed last July (about a 1" scar in the middle of my forehead). When I was out at the pool or the beach last summer after the surgery and on my HAL cruise 2 months ago, I used white zinc oxide lathered over the scar. It has not changed at all!

Zinc oxide is what sailors, surfers and life guards use to keep the sun from their nose and lips. I've used it on my nose for over 30 years! Now, I'm glad it comes in cute colors, too!! :)

I just had surgery four weeks ago on my shoulder. My dr. did not say anything! And I was just about to go out and sit in the sun and read. Im glad I read this. I guess for now I will use bandaids . My scar is about 2 inches long. I am cruising in July so i will have to get some of that flesh colored tape.

I second the vitamin E oil!

My father used it on his chest after his heart surgery and I've used it several times (scar on leg from being hit by a car, scar from being cut in a martial arts tourney, and the misc. scars one acquires throughout the lives...)

Vitamin E will keep the skin soft and helps to keep skin from darkening (you can't see my scars unless I point them out!). You can get a small bottle of the oil or get the oil in caplet form (less messy!)

Call your doc and ask about the tape - it may just be that fake skin they use to close cuts.... he/she may have a roll in the office. I would also check with the Doc that the zinc is okay to put on the scar so soon (you say recently so I'm not sure how new it is).

about 7 years ago I had a tumor removed from my neck area...

had a "one-sided face lift" for the scar (around the ear)

I used neosporin at least 4 times a day (originally Dr told me to use bacitracin). Well, when I went for followup the surgeon (plastic) was VERY pleased with the way the scar was healing... hardly noticeable then.. you can't even se it now at all... if only I didn't have the numbness that's affected by the nerves.

Good luck with your healing.. take care of staying out of direct sun on scar.

Carolyn

I second the vitamin E oil!

My father used it on his chest after his heart surgery and I've used it several times (scar on leg from being hit by a car, scar from being cut in a martial arts tourney, and the misc. scars one acquires throughout the lives...)

Vitamin E will keep the skin soft and helps to keep skin from darkening (you can't see my scars unless I point them out!). You can get a small bottle of the oil or get the oil in caplet form (less messy!)

Call your doc and ask about the tape - it may just be that fake skin they use to close cuts.... he/she may have a roll in the office. I would also check with the Doc that the zinc is okay to put on the scar so soon (you say recently so I'm not sure how new it is).

While Vitamin E MAY be good for all those things, I wouldn't think of putting any kind of oil on any body part in the sun. Oil in the sun = burn.

about 7 years ago I had a tumor removed from my neck area...

had a "one-sided face lift" for the scar (around the ear)

I used neosporin at least 4 times a day (originally Dr told me to use bacitracin). Well, when I went for followup the surgeon (plastic) was VERY pleased with the way the scar was healing... hardly noticeable then.. you can't even se it now at all... if only I didn't have the numbness that's affected by the nerves.

Good luck with your healing.. take care of staying out of direct sun on scar.

Carolyn

Just make sure you are not allergic to neomycin (that's the "neo" in neosporin; bacitracin contains the other 2 antibiotics but no neomycin).

Many people are allergic or develop allergies--that's what happened to me. I got an ugly, itchy, painful rash from neosporin about 6 years ago and can't use it at all now. I'd never had the problem before.

Also, be careful about using the antibiotic ointments with pain reliever (unless it's covered by a bandage). Sun combined with the (usually) caine-based pain relievers can cause a serious reaction. Again, I learned this first hand.

My doctor told me that allergic reactions to both neomycin and caine-based topicals are more common than people realize.

Zinc should work well for covering and protection.

beachchick

I would (& have) use the zinc oxide while out in the sun (make sure you cover the area of the scar with a heavy coating of ZO).

And then after my shower and while inside, I did use the Vitamin E oil on the scar while it was healing. It kept it soft and the scar is not bad now.

Happy cruising! :)

Dreamin

The Zinc now comes in clear!! I got some last Dec. in Florida. It's called "Face Potion -- Clear Zinc SPF 45" and is made by Ocean Potion. You might want to try that. I have very fair skin and my face didn't burn during our cruise and no one knew I was using zinc on my nose and since it is made for the face, it didn't feel like undercoat!

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived