Norwegian Star Chef's Table (A Pictorial Review)

DGP1111

Thanks for the review...loved knowing about it. As for others who prefer quantity over quality - thankfully we have choices and the buffet is available for no up charge. As for me....will want to enjoy dining rather than just "eating".

Will be heading to the reservations and see if Chefs Table is offered on the Star in Feb...woohoo.

How rude you are! I will pass on the buffet thank you, sorry but I'm not into eating where thousands of other dirty hands have been. But thankfully, there are many other choices available to me on NCL where I can "eat".

SO sorry for the delay in responding to some replies/questions. Went to a late movie with friends after the last post, and then spent part of yesterday in the ER dealing with a bit of food poisoning. A very rare (for me) sick day from work. One of the last things I'd have wanted to do was log in, and think/chat about a food experience. Ugh!

Three of the four of us got ill on some (alleged) expired concession treats. That won't happen again - - I guarantee you!

. . . Did you (or others) leave a gratuity for this meal (NOT trying to open any cans of worms here regarding gratuity, DSC, etc!)? We often will leave $5 (per couple) in a specialty restaurant when we go.

I was double-prepared for that. I'd already given my ship card details, and signature, at the CT sign-up in the port. I hoped there would be a line for an additional gratuity if we were given anything extra to sign. I also had some cash with me if that was not the case. I ended up choosing to leave cash. The staff present was (in my own opinion) so deserving of anything offered beyond the base cost.

I have zero clue how they go about dividing any additional gratuities presented.

Hi Don! Wowsa wowsa wowsa! I have heard lots of good things about the chef's dinner...but for the first time got to to SEE all the good things about the chef's dinner! Thank you for posting the pics along with your thoughts. I never really considered this dining option but will probably try it on a future sailing.

I hope you will consider it. :)

Also, please note I said the CT was one of my cruise highlights on Star. Yet another was meeting your wonderful self, and your family. :D

A true pleasure.

. . . One question, please. Did the cocktail taste "dreamsickle-like"? That is a flavor I adore. Was the vanilla cream whilped at all? Trying to make a recipe. Thanks.

I pretty much suck at "It tasted like . . ." sentences. :o

But if I had to put it in words, it was sorta like a Toasted Almond, with a nice hint of orange. Not overly sweet as I'd assume a dreamsickle might be (although I recently had a nice beverage made with Pinnacle Orange Whipped) that was quite nice, and much like the dreamsickle description.

Thanks for posting the menu and pictures. You saved me a fortune because I didn't like the menu, it's not for me. It looked nicely presently and very colorful.

Thank you for sharing the photos and descriptions for the Chef's Table. You saved us $150. Neither my husband or I would enjoy the meal - we aren't into fine wines either. The food presentation was amazing, though!

Might seem odd to say, but I personally think that's a good thing. It has been my own observation that NCL is totally in the mindset of making their passengers feel welcome and happy with their own decisions.

You could potentially spend more doing the CT instead of some of the other dining options. If you didn't really like the CT event, that would be a disappointment that you might likely share with others. If you chose another option, and it met/exceeded expectations, then off you go ready to tell others, "Hey, you gotta try this". :)

I think that is a win-win for the passengers and the providing cruise line.

I'm hoping that by posting my experience (and the accompanying pictures) others can make an even more educated choice for themselves. I admit that I blindly threw myself into it and was, thankfully, pleased almost beyond words.

That being said . . . If by posting this review I find that I've shot myself in the foot by increasing some interest in the Chef's Table experience, and I realize I get blocked on future sailings due to that . . .

I give anyone onboard permission to clobber me and call me a Doofus. :p

Don, as usual you have outdone yourself and created more ship withdrawal in me than any other poster possibly could!

I am assuming that the way this is done now is changed and that the current Chef's Table is more like CCL's and focused on the chef and not the captain (??)

Hugs, as always, to you, halos!! :) Enjoy your upcoming sailing!!

Captain not present, or even mentioned.

The only really important person 'driving' this event had the big stove-pipe hat on. :D

Thanks for the review...loved knowing about it. As for others who prefer quantity over quality - thankfully we have choices and the buffet is available for no up charge. As for me....will want to enjoy dining rather than just "eating".

Will be heading to the reservations and see if Chefs Table is offered on the Star in Feb...woohoo.

Thanks.

Although I do understand the gist of what you are saying . . .

The Chef's Table experience was just that -- an experience. I feel comfortable going to it, and know how to react to the various presentations, and properly use all the serving pieces.

But you might have been quite disappointed in me during some of the previous and following days as I sat in Blue Lagoon with wing sauce on my chin. I rarely shy aware from that particular opportunity for simply "eating". :D

I do hope that NCL comp's Don in some way ... first he writes an awesome Epic review that converts even the most diehard (other) cruiseline fans and now the Chef's Table will be overbooked

Thanks, as always, kerrytens! :)

As I commented during the EPIC recap . . . I'd be even more happy to just get a promise (in writing, with a raised notary stamp :p) that any future Chef's Table experiences I choose to do would be equally as wonderful as that very first one. That would definitely be reward enough!! :D :D

Thank you for sharing the photos and descriptions for the Chef's Table. You saved us $150. Neither my husband or I would enjoy the meal - we aren't into fine wines either. The food presentation was amazing, though!

Might seem odd to say, but I personally think that's a good thing. It has been my own observation that NCL is totally in the mindset of making their passengers feel welcome and happy with their own decisions.

You could potentially spend more doing the CT instead of some of the other dining options. If you didn't really like the CT event, that would be a disappointment that you might likely share with others. If you chose another option, and it met/exceeded expectations, then off you go ready to tell others, "Hey, you gotta try this". :)

I think that is a win-win for the passengers and the providing cruise line.

I'm hoping that by posting my experience (and the accompanying pictures) others can make an even more educated choice for themselves. I admit that I blindly threw myself into it and was, thankfully, pleased almost beyond words.

Again thank you!

Your photos were great and food descriptions spot-on. I'm afraid my husband would need to "eat" afterwards. He would not be happy with tiny portions (or something he didn't recognize). And neither of us drink red wine, so we will take our $150 and enjoy dinner at two (or more) speciality restaurants. That's the beauty of Freestyle Cruising.

Does anyone recommend the Chefs Table even if you dont drink alcohol?

I would love to do chefs table as a present to myself (saiiling for 50th Birthday and will be solo on Epic in October)

A big part of the chef's table experience is the pairing of wines with each course. It probably isn't a coincidence that when NCL hired Andrea Robinson to choose a new wine list this past January, they also planned the CT experience fleet wide. Andrea is all about pairing wine with food, and this gives her a showcase to do it.

I also think a large part of the surcharge is to cover the cost of the alcohol.

My husband and I were very sorry to see the previous wine list go, as there were some real bargains, especially among the higher-priced wines. We're more prone to European wines, and Andrea favors California and New World wines. But we're looking forward to signing up for the CT on our Sept. cruise--if we can get a booking.

Anyway, I would say if you want the experience of eating these special dishes and don't mind the time that goes into explaining the wines with each course, and don't mind paying the surcharge but not drinking, then it's your birthday! Go for it!

Totally bummed that this wasn't available on the Star when we cruised in Jan! My wife and I are huge foodies (we're going to arrive in Vegas for a friend's wedding a day early, so we can eat at Joël Robuchon in the MGM Grand), and I went to culinary school so this one would have been a no-brainer for us...

I'm also bummed that I'm sitting here looking at the pictures and don't know when I'm going on the next cruise (my wife is active duty Navy on sea duty, and her underway schedule shifts here and there - and she really doesn't like going out on a cruise after she just got back from a big grey boat). I know to look for a table in the port before I even board - because the next cruise, we are SO DOING THIS!

Thanks for the great review!

Hope this is on Pearl next March. DW & I really enjoy finding tasting menu/wine pairing experiences for our "special date" dinners--and it's obvious that the NCL chefs have put a lot into this.

(And as far as cost--we just dropped >$100 apiece on a local restaurant on our anniversary for a 4-course dinner with, I think, less interesting fare, so the $75 sounds like a bargain! And we won't have to worry about one of us being sober enough to drive home! :D)

Edited by quercus alba

My mood was quite in the dumper, but not for the fault of NCL or Port of Tampa. I'd made a foolish decision to attempt something new regarding parking and it came back to bite me, and numerous others, in the keester big time. Never again!!

Don, I have been wondering about the parking fiasco ... I know it has zippo to do with the chef's table but you have me curious.

Thank You !!!

I only wonder about our daughter (4 years old) that night. It could be better if there was some 'parents night out' where the KIDS CLUB would be running.

I assume it was a 7-day-cruise, what day was this dinner ? Also, was it a 'sea day' ?

I wonder what other variants are possible for watching our daughter ?

OF COURSE, The first thing that comes to mind is to take her. She is very charming and well behaved (everyone will like her, they always do).

Thanks,

Tom

Slightly off topic Don- but I was wondering could you let me know how you enjoyed sailing on the Star vs the Epic. I loved the Epic because of the whole studio lounge/studios/entertainment but was considering doing the Star last minute in October when I anticipate bargains.

Don,

I just loved your review and photos. You had me laughing on the floor about some of your observations. Going on the Star in September. The menu looks good except for the cheese tartlet and that asparagus thing that you said caused a gag reflex!

Thanks for sharing

~ La Princesa

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to read that several more have found my review effort helpful. That was the goal. Thanks for the positive words. :)

Slightly off topic Don- but I was wondering could you let me know how you enjoyed sailing on the Star vs the Epic.

Different ships = different experiences = both enjoyed.

I'm doing EPIC at least two more times, and would not hesitate in the least to repeating Star.

Bon Voyage!

. . .not to go off topic but I was wondering what happen with parking in Tampa I want to make sure I dont make the same mistake?:eek:

Attempted off-site parking, and it backfired on almost everyone who participated.

They say "Live and learn" . . . well, I learned my lesson. The monetary savings was not worth the angst.

Thank you for your review and pics. I will be cruising solo on the Dawn in November and the CT was an option suggested as an alternative to dinning alone. I do not drink so I think that the surcharge is a bit much for this particular meal. There should be a slight reduction for this dinning experience if you are not going to have wine. Just saying.....

I guess I will be going to try a couple of the speciality resturants.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow thanks for a fantastic review of the chefs table,we are planning to partake in this experiance on our upcoming transatlantic cruise on 21st October Barcelona to Miami onboard the Epic and this has just added to our eager anticipation,we are very excited about all things to do with this sailing and we also loved your huge review about the Epic itself.Thanks sooo much !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DGP1111,

Thank you for such a detailed bite by bite of this event (not to mention sip by sip:p! We are on the NCL Dawn in November; our last cruise was on Celebrity and it had a great wine theme with some great wine dinners! We love them and I will be keeping my eye open for the "sign up table" when we embark! I hope they have it!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, just wow.

Thank you!

I am SO doing this!

I don't really drink wine, but I love pairings. I have been to a couple of wine pairings, and a few beer pairings as well. All were interesting, worth every dime, and some were even exceptional.

I would love to see a total pairing experience someday, from hors d'oeuvres and champagne right through to cigars and preferably a fine scotch or whisk(e)y. I try to do that sometimes at home, but my forte is crockpot jambalaya and charred meat and vegetables on the grill. I cannot do the fancy presentations, but I love to cook and eat!

Thank you again!