Seward

bobolink

We'll be in Seward post cruise June 19 (Godwin sled dogs, Sealife center), 20th (Kenai Fjords NW trip), and renting a car on the 21st for the drive to Anchorage with a visit and gentle hike at Exit Glacier on the way.

Is there a shuttle or do we take a cab to the Exit Glacier Salmon Bake restaurant? Is it as authentic Alaska as, say, Thane Ore in Juneau?

Any other don't miss experiences in Seward?

Exit Glacier Salmon Bake is a rustic log/board type place with a variety from salads/burgers/fish/steaks and lots of beer.They don't have a big grill going cooking fish like one might expect from "salmon bake" in the name.You can sit outside to eat and enjoy the views.I haven't been to Thane Ore so can't compare for you but it is a nice "alaskan feeling place that advertises "cheap beer and lousy food" .What a great attention getter that sign is...lol...There is no shuttle so you will have to take a taxi.

Sounds like you have the top attractions planned.~~Enjoy Alaska~~

Bobolink:

We will be in Seward on June 19th. also (pre-cruise). Our family group of seven will be doing the Godwin Glacier Dog Sled Tour that day also. We are booked at 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon. Four on one trip and Three on the other. We are hoping to find some way we can all be up on the glacier at the same time. Mr. Cork said he would certainly try to arrange that. Sounded like a really nice man. Everyone we have talked to in Alaska has been so nice and helpful. We really appreciate all the kindness on the telephone.

Bamagirl

Thanks, Glacierlady, sounds like a great spot for lunch or dinner. You do such a great job helping those of us going to Seward and elsewhere!

Bamagirl, I wish I could help you with a schedule change, but I'm not sure we can. I'll double check our itinerary next week (getting ready to go away this morning) and contact you via this forum if we can make a change that would help. Godwin seems to be a great company.....really nice folks on the phone.

Bobolink

Check the Exit Glacier info -- Glacier Lady has stated previously that there are Ranger-led talks/hikes at certain times of the day, you could combine the Visitor's Center, Ranger program and dinner in one visit.

Archived