Passport question

A couple of years ago we had passports done. Fast forward and neither hubby or myself look like our pictures any longer. He has lost 85 pounds and I have lost over 100. Do we need to have new ones done? Nothing else has changed like address. If we do have to change how long does it take to get them back? Thanks for the advise.

Congratulations on your weight loss, both of you!

Have you been to the official Government website? Anything regarding this there? I mean, we can tell you our opinions but it means nothing if it is contrary to the "official" word.

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/npic/npic_898.html

LOL - I've gained a significant amount of weight since my passport photo (and my DL photo). I wouldn't dream of having it remade!

It shouldn't be a problem. (bring a 2nd form of ID, like a DL, just in case you have to prove that it's you, but that's probably overkill).

A couple of years ago we had passports done. Fast forward and neither hubby or myself look like our pictures any longer. He has lost 85 pounds and I have lost over 100. Do we need to have new ones done? Nothing else has changed like address. If we do have to change how long does it take to get them back? Thanks for the advise.

Since you both have had significant weight losses ( BTW congratulations) that has changed your appearance as you stated you both no longer look like your picture , according to the official USA Passport Agency Website you are be required to update your photos/passport regardless of what other on CC have posted. Following was copied directly from the Official USA Passport Agency Website / Here's the linkl http://travel.state.gov/passport/pptphotoreq/photofaq/photofaq_5291.html

Q:Do I need to take a new photo if I recently dyed my hair a new color or grew a beard?

a:New photos are only required if your appearance has significantly changed from what is in your photo. Growing a beard or coloring your hair would not constitute a significant change. If you can still be identified from the photo in your current passport or visa application, you do not need to apply for a new passport or submit a new photo for your visa application. However, you may have to apply for a new passport or submit a new photo for your visa application if you have:

• Undergone significant facial surgery or trauma
  • Added or removed numerous/large facial piercings or tattoos
  • Undergone a significant amount of weight loss or gain
  • Made a gender transition

From the State Dept web site:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/pptphotoreq/pptphotoreq_5333.html

Change of Appearance

Your passport may not be accepted at the border if your appearance has changed significantly or if you cannot be identified from the photo in your current passport.

If you cannot be identified from your current passport photo, you should apply for a new passport, even if your old one has not yet expired (appropriate fees required).

You may have to apply for a new passport if, from the time of your last passport photo, you have:

• Undergone significant facial surgery or trauma
  • Added or removed numerous/large facial piercings or tattoos
  • Undergone a significant amount of weight loss or gain
  • Made a gender transition

If you feel that you can still be identified from the photo in your current passport, you do not need to apply for a new passport. For example, growing a beard or coloring your hair would not constitute a significant change.

If the appearance of your child under the age of 16 has changed due to the normal aging process, you do not need to apply for a new passport for him or her.

Perhaps you can go to your local passport center and ask staff there if they feel you should get a new picture? This way, if the answer is no, then you don't have to shell out the extra funds.

The only problem with that is that you would be relying only on the opinion of the folks at your local passport center which might not match the opinion of the officials checking your passports when you travel. If you feel that your appearance has changed significantly since the photos were taken, it might be best to err on the side of caution and spend the money to get new passports.

Archived