Formal Night/Cocktail Party on Celebration

Having looked over some threads I cannot find my answer

Being Scottish would it be suitable for my HUsband to wear his kilt/Waistcoat bith Bow Tie.. Due to weight limits taking the Jacket is not a consideration

As for Myself is a Long Dress okay nothing too Fancy and certainly no high heels lol:o

I know it's a long way off until we cruise so please forgive my eagerness lol

Having looked over some threads I cannot find my answer

Being Scottish would it be suitable for my HUsband to wear his kilt/Waistcoat bith Bow Tie.. Due to weight limits taking the Jacket is not a consideration

As for Myself is a Long Dress okay nothing too Fancy and certainly no high heels lol

I know it's a long way off until we cruise so please forgive my eagerness lol

Hi Wddeni

No probs with your suggestion for hubby. Kilt will weigh more than jacket and it's all the other bits and pieces that go with it.:eek:

Just a tip on the security/safety side - don't take a proper skean dhu. DH has an imitation one which he uses on certain occasions as there has been many a time when some bright spark has decided to take a look for themselves and then tried to put it back in the scabbard when it is still in situ.:eek:

Another suggestion, although DH doesn't suit them, is a pair of trews which would help with the weight and less accessories to take?:)

Many thanks for all replies and Helpful tips, Kilt can go in Kilt Roll and hopefully taken as hand luggage, some other bits in my hand luggage so this will help with weight also.

Skioncruises...what do you mean by Trews or am I just being thick lol

K8TI...I do presume you mean yes please re kilt lol

Many thanks for all replies and Helpful tips, Kilt can go in Kilt Roll and hopefully taken as hand luggage, some other bits in my hand luggage so this will help with weight also.

Skioncruises...what do you mean by Trews or am I just being thick lol

K8TI...I do presume you mean yes please re kilt lol

Hi Wddeni

If you took the Kilt Roll it may take up the whole of your hand luggage allowance. I haven't weighted DH's kilt but I do know it is heavy. Remember at the moment the hand baggage is 7kg and all hand baggage has to be in one bag, including our infamous handbag which we will not be parted from.

Trews are the tartan version of trousers. As I said, DH tried a pair but neither of us liked him in them but, on the other hand, his friend got them for use on holidays (especially cruises because of weight) and looks great in them. Must be the body.:eek: Pop in to a kilt hire shop and see what they have and get your DH to try a pair on.:)

Hi Wddeni

Just as a comparison: Kilt Roll 1kg, Kilt 1.25kg. Remember, shirt, tie, waitscoat, socks, flashes, shoes, belt, sporran and skean dhu are all extra weight. If he considered trews he would only need shirt, tie, waistcoat, socks and shoes.

A couple of years ago we were in Matalan and DH spotted Dinner Suits which he had never had any inclination to get as kilt outfit was all he has ever needed over the years. He tried one on and bought it. It weighs 1kg (same weight at the kilt roll). Extras needed for this are shirt, tie, socks, shoes. Have to admit we never fancied him in a DS but he does look quite the ticket in it.

Good luck in your deliberations.:)

Hi Wddeni

Just as a comparison: Kilt Roll 1kg, Kilt 1.25kg. Remember, shirt, tie, waitscoat, socks, flashes, shoes, belt, sporran and skean dhu are all extra weight. If he considered trews he would only need shirt, tie, waistcoat, socks and shoes.

A couple of years ago we were in Matalan and DH spotted Dinner Suits which he had never had any inclination to get as kilt outfit was all he has ever needed over the years. He tried one on and bought it. It weighs 1kg (same weight at the kilt roll). Extras needed for this are shirt, tie, socks, shoes. Have to admit we never fancied him in a DS but he does look quite the ticket in it.

Good luck in your deliberations.:)

Thank you so much you have certainly got it all worked out:confused:

Another option is Just not to go to the Formal Night, [i am really not sure if it really is me but as it's our First Cruise thinking we need to get our pic with captain lol

Surely not everyone attends it's a matter of choice, got a year to decide:rolleyes:

Hubbie would defo not wear or suit Trews, was going to ask if this were Tartan Trousers but thought that was too obvious lol

Thanks again

Hi Wddeni

I only worked out the info to help you - had never done it before. DH never took his kilt gear on cruises because of the weight and all the paraphernalia. Mind you, he's pleased with his DS.

Formal night is a chance to get dressed up as much as you want. It involves queueing to get into the main theatre and shake hands with the Captain and have your photo taken before taking a seat and being offered some canapes. The Cruise Director then appears and introduces the Captain who in turn introduces each of his Senior Officers/Heads of Department (approx 12). Captain gives a little speech gives a toast and then the passengers all go off to the dining room for dinner. The queueing is the worst part as it can take 1/2 an hour to get in to the theatre. The evening then carries on as normal.

As it's your first cruise it's nice to take part even though you might feel you are on a conveyor belt and the photos are a wee bit rushed. You don't have to take the photos, they are displayed in the photo gallery and it's your decision whether to buy or not - you are not hassled. During the cruise there is also an option on another evening to get dressed up and have a more professional photo taken without all the queueing. This seems quite popular as there is more time taken over them.

Which cruise are you doing on the Celebration and when?:)

Hi Wddeni

I only worked out the info to help you - had never done it before. DH never took his kilt gear on cruises because of the weight and all the paraphernalia. Mind you, he's pleased with his DS.

Formal night is a chance to get dressed up as much as you want. It involves queueing to get into the main theatre and shake hands with the Captain and have your photo taken before taking a seat and being offered some canapes. The Cruise Director then appears and introduces the Captain who in turn introduces each of his Senior Officers/Heads of Department (approx 12). Captain gives a little speech gives a toast and then the passengers all go off to the dining room for dinner. The queueing is the worst part as it can take 1/2 an hour to get in to the theatre. The evening then carries on as normal.

As it's your first cruise it's nice to take part even though you might feel you are on a conveyor belt and the photos are a wee bit rushed. You don't have to take the photos, they are displayed in the photo gallery and it's your decision whether to buy or not - you are not hassled. During the cruise there is also an option on another evening to get dressed up and have a more professional photo taken without all the queueing. This seems quite popular as there is more time taken over them.

Which cruise are you doing on the Celebration and when?:)

All the info is great, will know everything before going

[it's our Silver Wedding Anniversary so going 15th July next year Cruise/Stay Ancient Wonders then Staying Marmaris mperial, (Having right prob with all my capital letters coming up in these blocks please ignore them, have contacted Site Manager to help(Possibly doing something wrong) [it was either this or Corfu Adriatic Explorer, to tie in with our dates, [i however did want to do the Caribbean but did not realise it was not possible, [i] love Greece and Turkey so sure will enjoy every minute, As for pics we have booked extra package which includes one Pic, Champagne, Cake and Chocolate Strawberries, t is a special occassion lol

You sound like an experienced Cruiser so your help is appreciated

Thank You:)

It is still worth taking some sort of formal gear, even if you don't want a photo with the captain. We have never bothered - massive queue! We just avoid the queue and go straight in to the Broadway Lounge for our free drink and to see the officers parade. You still need the right clothes for this and the gala dinner in the dining room and it is fun to get dressed up!

Hi Wddeni

Now understand why you want to take the gear.

You could always purchase one extra 5kg baggage allowance and that would still leave you with 2 x 20kg for the rest of your stuff. The 5kg could be split between two cases or split the whole lot into three.

Alternatively buy toiletries and hair care products etc. once through security and take on as hand luggage. Unless you are taking decent sized hand baggage pop one of these packaway lightweight bag in your handbag as carrier bags are not the best. We also bought sandwiches and drinks for the flight as did not fancy what was being sold on the plane.

We are doing Ancient Wonders & Crimean Discovery in June.

It is still worth taking some sort of formal gear, even if you don't want a photo with the captain. We have never bothered - massive queue! We just avoid the queue and go straight in to the Broadway Lounge for our free drink and to see the officers parade. You still need the right clothes for this and the gala dinner in the dining room and it is fun to get dressed up!

Yeah would like to see officer's parade along with Captains Speech

Won't rush for the free drink as we are All Inclusive so free anyway ( Think it's all costed in the price of Cruise to be honest)

Gala Dinner sounds Lovely so a dress of some sort it wil be just not over the top no high heels and tiara for me:p

Thanks for your help and advice

Hi Wddeni

Now understand why you want to take the gear.

You could always purchase one extra 5kg baggage allowance and that would still leave you with 2 x 20kg for the rest of your stuff. The 5kg could be split between two cases or split the whole lot into three.

Alternatively buy toiletries and hair care products etc. once through security and take on as hand luggage. Unless you are taking decent sized hand baggage pop one of these packaway lightweight bag in your handbag as carrier bags are not the best. We also bought sandwiches and drinks for the flight as did not fancy what was being sold on the plane.

We are doing Ancient Wonders & Crimean Discovery in June.

Hiya

Extra 5kgs sounds like the perfect answer to me

You can let me know all about Ancient Wonders then and things that can be done independently trip wise although already looking into this, Oh what an adventure, I have been assured that I will be hooked and never look at another resort based holiday again, think I like the way chosen for our first time though and Hotel week is my relax week or so I tell myself then I see all the trips lol:cool:

Archived