Passport renewal by mail?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has renewed their passport by mail recently. I don’t feel very safe mailing it in regular USPS mail—what it if gets lost? You have to turn in your old passport, so what would you do? On the other hand, I don’t know if it is worth using a mailing service that could track the envelope (FedEx, UPS, etc.). Anybody have any advice? Thanks.

I just did it via regular mail. Took about 3 weeks, and everything worked fine. Check your bank records online to see when the check has cleared, then you can at least make sure it's made it to the passport office. Even if you send it there registered mail, they'll send it back regular anyway.

I took all my paperwork to the Clerk of the Court's office in my city. They process the passport application there. Took my money and all docuements and a week later the passport showed up in the mail. To me this is the safest way. I'm sure they do something similar in your city. The passport web site on line will tell where to go in your area.

I renewed mine by mail about two months ago. Same experience as the two other posters. Took less than three weeks from mailing date to receipt of the new passport (and the old one).

I mailed using UPS 2nd day air with tracking so I could tell that it got there. It was returned to me regular USPS mail.

Thank you for all your advice. The state dept website made it seem like you should renew by mail, but from TamaLee's email, it turns out that my local post office should be able to accept my renewal. I figure that way I can save on postage and won't need to go buy a padded envelope to take care of this.

I'm really impressed that everybody got their passport back so quickly. The website said 6wks for regular and 2 wks for expedited. I figured with the new passport regulations, that they would get really bogged down and it would turn out to be later than that. When I went to get the passport pictures taken at my local walgreens, everyone there was doing the same thing.

I recently renewed my passport by mail. It worked out very well and took only about 3 weeks, with no special services. As has been stated above, if you're leery about using regular US mail, you can use priority mail and arrange to have your passports (new & cancelled) returned to you the same way.

Good luck.

Thank you for all your advice. The state dept website made it seem like you should renew by mail, but from TamaLee's email, it turns out that my local post office should be able to accept my renewal. I figure that way I can save on postage and won't need to go buy a padded envelope to take care of this.

I'm really impressed that everybody got their passport back so quickly. The website said 6wks for regular and 2 wks for expedited. I figured with the new passport regulations, that they would get really bogged down and it would turn out to be later than that. When I went to get the passport pictures taken at my local walgreens, everyone there was doing the same thing.

My guess is that the 6 week window is based on their busiest time of the year. Not certain when that is. Even when I first applied for the original passport 10 years ago, it took less than a month to receive. I did that in person at the Boston post office in Post Office Square. I have to think that renewals would take less time to process then brand new ones.

I think it depends on what time of year you are getting a passport. I also think they over estimate the time it takes so people won't see say a 4 week estimate and expect it then. It may take less time to renew than to get a new one as well. Just remember that the closer it gets to December 31st when the new guidelines go into place, it will probably start taking a lot longer due to more people having to get passports than previously.

My last renewal-by-mail was a disaster - check cashed, old passport received, but it just disappeared into the vapor. At two weeks out, I was told it would ship "soon", and up until three days before sailing, the hope was it would ship from Pennsylvania. No dice. I got to swear out a new application, fly it to Seattle, have a friend walk it through the process and sent it air cargo to my connecting city so I could pick it up between flights. Total stressfest.

The solution is to send it both ways with tracking - there's a UPS-able address on the website http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html , and instructions for enclosing a prepaid return waybill. This can be as simple as logging into the UPS website, and setting up a 2nd-day-air package from that address to yourself, printing out the shipping label, and enclosing it with the rest of the information. Even if you don't get expedited service, simply spending the $10 for second-day-air to know where your documents are on the return trip is well, well worth it.

Eric

My last renewal-by-mail was a disaster - check cashed, old passport received, but it just disappeared into the vapor. At two weeks out, I was told it would ship "soon", and up until three days before sailing, the hope was it would ship from Pennsylvania. No dice. I got to swear out a new application, fly it to Seattle, have a friend walk it through the process and sent it air cargo to my connecting city so I could pick it up between flights. Total stressfest.

The solution is to send it both ways with tracking - there's a UPS-able address on the website http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html , and instructions for enclosing a prepaid return waybill. This can be as simple as logging into the UPS website, and setting up a 2nd-day-air package from that address to yourself, printing out the shipping label, and enclosing it with the rest of the information. Even if you don't get expedited service, simply spending the $10 for second-day-air to know where your documents are on the return trip is well, well worth it.

Eric

I knew there'd be at least one disaster story. That's pretty terrible Eric. I'm glad it ultimately worked out for you after all the stress.

Lillyhammer... as you can see, problems, delays and outright disasters can happen. It all depends on how much time you have and what makes you comfortable. Good luck.

Archived