Purchasing OBC instead of credit hold?

Can I purchase OBC equal to the $60pp per day ($840) and use that instead of giving a credit card? If so, would I just take documentation of the OBC when we check in for the cruise? Would we just select the "cash" option when we do the pre-cruise paperwork on line?

Yes you can purchase OBC equal to the "hold" and prevent the use of a credit card. Select cash option, then when you check in you will be directed to go to the front desk.

In reality you do not have to visit the front desk quickly. The credit will allow you to charge things immediately.

I have done this many times without a problem.

Rich

Thanks! I only wanted to charge any expensive items I buy on land so there isn't much to pay off on the card(s) when we get the bill.

No problem -- btw, I should have mentioned that any leftover OBC will be refunded in cash at the end of the cruise. Last May I cleared the account about 9pm on the last night. I was reminded that I would not be able to charge anything else to my cabin. YMMV

Rich

We always do this.

We do it way in advance and its paid off even before the cruise.

We do it when we see offers for double miles etc.

If we do not use all of it (we always do, and more sometimes) we will still get a cash refund at the end.

Nice to have no bill to come home to, as well in the past I have been overcharged and waited weeks for a refund...

Great to leave cards open.

For us its great.

That shouldn't be a problem for us as we have ordered a bottle of Bailey's for our cabin for our nightcap so we won't be ordering any drinks or anything after about 8pm. Would they allow us to settle the account early in the morning?

Yep. :)

We have and no issues.

That shouldn't be a problem for us as we have ordered a bottle of Bailey's for our cabin for our nightcap so we won't be ordering any drinks or anything after about 8pm. Would they allow us to settle the account early in the morning?

No problem with settling it in the morning. I believe "the rules" say you are supposed to settle after 6am or something like that. The front office really doesn't care as long as you settle before people start leaving the ship.

Also, if you have any credit at all you must settle! Other threads on this subject have mentioned people who have a very small amount of credit that they thought wasn't worth the time to go get and they were not allowed to leave until they retrieved their credit.

Archived