Guarantee Cabins & Restaurants (Brilliance of the Seas)

Hi

My partner and I have just booked a last minute cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas (Departing 11th August). We have booked a balcony gtee... does anyone know when they allocate the cabin number? Will we find out before we travel?

It is also my partners birthday while we are away and I would like to know whether either of the specialty restaurants are worth paying for / suitable for a special occasion?

Many Thanks :)

I love the Brilliance. We are on the crossing on Sept 8th. In response to your questions, you could be assigned your cabin in a couple of days or you might not know till you get to the port. I have done several guarantees and always found out in a couple of days, but they don't have to be that quick.

In terms of the speciality restuarants, food is subjective, everybody enjoys something different. However I think that $20 or Portofino and $30 for Chops is money well spent. The food quality is that much higher then what is in the dinning room, especially if you have a special occasion. Unlike some of the mega ships, both these restuarants are still relatively small and perfect for a special dinner for the two of you.

Workingboy, thank you very much for your response. Do you prefer one of the specialty restaurants over the other? In regards to food or atmosphere?

Any other tips for making the most out of the ship? I have cruised extensively but haven't been with Royal for many many years so would be nice to have some insider tips.

Like I said in my original response, food is subjective, however for the money if I was going to chose just one, I would pick Portofino. They have a wonderful steak that in my mind rivals what is in Chops, as well as a nice seafood skewer, great rack of lamb and some nice Italian dishes. That plus it is $10 cheaper. But if you love the Chophouse experience that Chops is well worth the money at $30 pp as well. We will be going to both at least once on our crossing.

In terms of some tips. At the back of the Windjammer is a great outdoor seating area, perfect for a nice breakfast or lunch. Also there is a small restaurant at the back of Deck 12 called the Seaview Cafe. On Brilliance it serves freshly made pizza and pannis. It also has a outdoor seating area, and is often overlooked till the end of the crusie by most passengers. It is a nice spot of lunch and then is usually open for late night cravings as well.

Let me know if there is anything more specific you would like to know. I will try to answer. I have been on her 9 times.

Workingboy, thank you very much for your response. Do you prefer one of the specialty restaurants over the other? In regards to food or atmosphere?

IMHO, it's a matter of taste. Chops is very much a traditional steak house, where you choose a protien dish (seafood, poultry, beef, etc), and then sides, along with appitizers and deserts. Portofino is an Italian restaurant- and is more creative on that side of things.

Service, to us, is the same- very attentive, and very nice. Atmosphere- I *think* Chops is a little darker in appearence, but that could very well be my preception and not reality.

One extra specialty- one or both may offer a wine pairing dinner. Since you are booking so late, you may not be able to advance book that, but check it out when you get on board. We've done the pairing in Portofinos, and have really liked even the extra cost of the wine when put with it, and I expect Chops would have the same feeling toward us.

Since everyone has different tastes, I would suggest checking both out while wandering the ship on the first day- the staff will probably be happy to talk to you, and I've never seen where they were 100% full. Choose the food you like the best.

Any other tips for making the most out of the ship? I have cruised extensively but haven't been with Royal for many many years so would be nice to have some insider tips.

It's our experience that Chops is brighter and a bit noisier than Portofino. Therefore, for a romantic evening, we choose Portofino. My husband loves the steak in Portofino over the one in Chops.

My best tip is to remember that you're on vacation and try go with the flow and relax. You can't possibly do everything there is to do and you'll be exhausted if you try. :)

Archived