Colosseum Underground Tour--worth it?

jarand

Looking for advice from those of you who've done the Colosseum lower level and third level tour. Worth it for a first timer in Rome? (Squeezing in the Vatican's not an issue-we will have done it on an earlier day)

Thanks!

We took this tour last summer as second time Rome visitors. I think that if you plan to spend any time visiting inside the Colosseum, then the tour is a definite must. On our first visit we just walked around inside by ourselves (because the Underground/3rd tier tour was not offered), but we got much more out of the visit the 2nd time with the Underground tour. The guide was very good, too.

Looking for advice from those of you who've done the Colosseum lower level and third level tour. Worth it for a first timer in Rome? (Squeezing in the Vatican's not an issue-we will have done it on an earlier day)

Thanks!

Yes! Definitely worth it. I assume you'll be visiting the Colosseum on your visit. Why not make your visit as meaningful as possible? Examples: The underground tour includes some time on the fighting floor of the stadium. The regular tour only lets you look down onto the fighting floor. The underground tour gets you very close to the rooms/cages where the animals were kept. Again, you'll be looking down from a distance at these cages. The lighting for the underground area is arranged to duplicate the lighting of the time: small slights glow in the floor at regular intervals just as oil lamps would have done in the past. Lots of steep climbing, but the spectacular view from the third level is worth the work-out.

Bottome line: The underground tour really doesn't take the place of the regular tour, but it definitely extends your visit. I strongly encourage you to purchase your ticket online in advance. Here's the URL:

http://www.ticketclic.it/gb/html/musei/colosseo.cfm

Choose the "Collect onsite" option. Input the date of your visit on the next screen. This will bring up a list of available tours. Select "Underground Eng" for an English-language tour.

Yes! Definitely worth it. I assume you'll be visiting the Colosseum on your visit. Why not make your visit as meaningful as possible? Examples: The underground tour includes some time on the fighting floor of the stadium. The regular tour only lets you look down onto the fighting floor. The underground tour gets you very close to the rooms/cages where the animals were kept. Again, you'll be looking down from a distance at these cages. The lighting for the underground area is arranged to duplicate the lighting of the time: small slights glow in the floor at regular intervals just as oil lamps would have done in the past. Lots of steep climbing, but the spectacular view from the third level is worth the work-out.

Bottome line: The underground tour really doesn't take the place of the regular tour, but it definitely extends your visit. I strongly encourage you to purchase your ticket online in advance. Here's the URL:

http://www.ticketclic.it/gb/html/musei/colosseo.cfm

Choose the "Collect onsite" option. Input the date of your visit on the next screen. This will bring up a list of available tours. Select "Underground Eng" for an English-language tour.

agree completely...it was excellent and the view from the top of the Coliseum is truly awesome...

YES it is absolutely worth it! Our tour with Walks of Italy included the arena floor, underground and third tier. There was only 6 of us in the group and we spent 20 minutes in each "special" section. There were 1000's of people starting down at us and I'm sure wondering how we got do there! :p

I wouldn't want to visit the colosseum without seeing these sections as it gave you such a different prospective and appreciation!

Archived