back home after May 4th Westbound Crossing

Mickb

Have come back down to earth following our wonderful crossing. I will be brief as many others have described the delights of this wonderful ship. We travelled in a P1 junior suite, which was spacious and well appointed - I particularly liked the glass balcony which lets you look out on the sea from the oh so comfortable beds. The in room email is a great and cheap way of keeping in touch and you don't pay for airtime while you write the email! $1.50 a shot however long it is!

We ate in the Princess Grill which was outstanding. Table 7 (for two) was by the window and we were completely spoiled by our wonderful waiters Vito and Reena. I think that the service and food were better than Radisson's Seven Seas Voyager ( which I thought pretty darned good!). Staying at the same table really allowed one's waiters to learn one's likes and dislikes. We could and did order off menu - caviar crepes suzettes etc and these were skillfully produced with a minimum of fuss.

The entertainment was terrific, the Royal Court Singers and Dancers were the best that I seen at sea by a long way. What a difference it makes when there is a serious entertainment budget! The Cruise Director was a bit too 'in your face' for my taste but was very competent. The Oxford lecture programme was diverse and interesting and the RADA workshops were excellent.

Against - Embarkation was poor, upon finally boarding the ship, there was chaos and no one to help. We were waved towards the lifts and were on our own. No offer to help with hand luggage etc. This was a negative first impression, particularly after the stress of driving into New York and the negotiating the awful pier with its conflicting boarding instructions. Interestingly no one smiled until we met our cabin steward - but maybe that's New York! This was a shame as most people seemed to be stressed out in one form or another over the embarkation process and this meant that the crew had to work that bit harder to get people to relax. They were supremely successful at this by day 2.

I found Todd English diappointing and not nearly as good as the Princess Grill. I wouldn't bother next time.

The weather was ok - a bit cold but mostly smooth. We had a force 7 northerly as we came out from the Grand Banks but the ship cut through it with ease. There was a bit of motion but nothing like what one would experience on a smaller ship.

We had two Cruisecritic meetings and it was great to talk to fellow board members.

Referring to previous postings, the ship is an International experience rather than an English one and it is perhaps a bit misleading to market it as England at sea. However in my opinion it does what it sets out to do extremely well. Most ships now are International in their presentation. I know we were in the Grill but everyone I spoke to, in whatever restaurant, seemed pleased.

We can't wait to go again!

I will try and answer any specific questions people may have!

Mickb

Hi Bonni

We ate in Todd English one night and were very disappointed after all the hype. My wife ordered the Goats Chesse salad and when it cme it tasted like Marscapone cheese - not bite she thought it had been mixed with cream. She told the Maitre d' what she though but no alternative was offered or even a 'sorry you don't like it'. I had a Chicken Breast which was pink in the middle - a no -no for me. I left most of it and nobody enquired why. They were very busy admittedly and by then I just didn't feel like making a fuss.

In my opinion the food and service in the Princess Dining Room was far superior but that just may be English taste! Felt a bit ripped off by the $60 cover charge for 2 of us.

Afternoon Tea was absolutely delightful - they make a very good cup of tea on the QM - little sandwiches, mini pastries, scones with jam and cream etc beautifully served. Trouble is you don't want either lunch or dinner on the day you have tea as its so filling!

Hello Mic. It was a real pleasure to meet you on board the QM2. As you know from our discussions, Malcolm and I thoroughly enjoyed our voyage and are looking forward to our return sailing on June 3rd - although will be a bit sad to leave England.

I shall start thinking about our next trip, as soon as I get home - hopefully next year with one of our granddaughters.

it was great to meet you - hope disembarkation was as easy for you as it was for us! We are already planning for next year's crossing! QM2 sailed past my window as she left for her Med Cruise that evening and oh how I wished I was aboard!

I too enjoyed meeting Mick and Betty and Malcolm and other CruiseCritic members. We met our final day at sea to compare notes and all agreed that we couldn't understand the negative comments we've been reading. The crew couldn't have been more accomodating or friendly. I always received a warm smile and greeting no matter the time of day or location.

Lunch in the Golden Lion Pub was good both days that Betty, Malc & I tried it. Tea in the Queens Room was marvelous but you just had to remember not to ruin your dinner.

Dinner in the Britannia was excellent. Food was excellent, well-presented and my waiters Peter and Joel could not have been more attentive.

We had a rough night as Mick mentioned. We were on the the higher decks and she was rocking and rolling there for a while but it was manageable. A lot of empty seats in the dining room that night.

The Chart Room is a delightful place to meet up with friends and the Commodore Club is a wonderful place to end the evening.

Entertainment was good and those singers and dancers did a good job.

I agree with Mick's assessment of embarking in New York. Cunard should be ashamed. You are dumped off out front of this grungy area and it's a poor introduction to the Grand Lady. Hopefully the new pier next year will be a big improvement. Disembarkation in Southhampton is painless and once you're called, you're off and away.

My negative comment would be the duvets on the bed. Give me a sheet and blanket please. Too hot with the duvet and too cold without a cover.

Will I do it again? Oh yes!!!!

Mick:

Thanks for starting this thread and for sharing with us your experience of crossing the Atlantic aboard QM2.

I'm glad to hear that you, DocM3 and Lannp all have such wonderful things to say abut Queen Mary 2.

I am one of those boring, old QE2 devotees. I'm focusing my time and funds on trying to make as many QE2 voyages as possble before she is retired. Not too many years left...

Aside from my love of the QE2 herself, I also love the transatlantic crossing. (I would hate it if flying was "the only way to cross" !!) In addition, my wife and I have friends in England, and we just plain love visiting the UK. We are making the crossing aboard QE2 from Southampton to NY in January.

So when that sad day comes, and QE2 is no more, we will sail aboard QM2. I love ships. I love the sea. I'm not flyng both directions if I can at all avoid it !!

Your positive reviews are very encouraging.

Tom:)

Tom

You're so right - the difference between the overnight redeye to Europe and the sea experience could not be greater. Even if you travel in business you still arrive frazzled.

I loved the QM2 although I thought she would be too big, she absorbs her passengers remarkably well. Yes, she's brash in places but not unacceptably so for me.

We cruised on QE2 in her first and second years after conversion to diesel from steam ex New York to Bermuda. For the first cruise we were in Caronia, which was ok ( it was a short cruise) for the second cruise, we had a QG cabin and were terribly disappointed in the experience. I think it was in the period where Cunard had lost their way and Trafalgar House were not tight enough on the Management of the ship.

Now, 10 or so cruises later, we would not travel without a balcony, no matter how good the ship, so I'm afraid the QE2 is not for us - unless we went really top of the ship and the problem with that is the other facilities do not match up. I fear we are one of Maxstone-Graham 's 'new passengers'.

I am lucky enough that my office overlooks Southampton Water, so I get my fix from seeing QE2 and QM2 leaving at the end of the afternoon. I have to admit the QE2 is a much finer looking ship!

Mick:

The important thing is that you enjoy QM2. That's what really counts. Life at sea is like nothing else. Maybe I was a fish in another life !!!

By the way, lucky you having such a wonderful vantage point (your office) from which to see all the wonderful ships sail by !!!

My wife and I stayed overnight at the Holiday Inn last December, the night before embarking on QE2. We had a room on the 7th floor, facing toward the Maritime Museum, Red Funnel piers, the Eastern Docks, etc. What a great view !!

I'll be sure to scream "Hi Mick" very loudly when we are in Southampton this January as we prepare, once again, to sail for NY on QE2 !!!

Tom:)

Mickb-

We have something in common, as I write this I overlook the opposite side of the Pond at the Port Everglades entrance. When the Queens (and others, of course) arrive in Fort Lauderdale we are among the first to welcome them. As I type this, I am gazing on a calm sea with a couple of yachts in the distance. From our windows, there is a view of the Atlantic, the Inlet, and the Port.

When the QM2 arrived on her maiden voyage, we welcomed her from the beach and were interviewed by the local television station. I have many videos and photographs of this event. Interestingly, a lady standing beside me on the beach that morning was on a cell phone speaking to her mother in Southampton. Her mother sent the QM2 off on the same voyage.

We have had several parties sending off the ships at cocktail time. Our guests enjoy the view from the balcony of the apartment or from the beach. As I pour a cup of coffee in the mornings, the red funnels are just outside the kitchen window since we overlook the Cunard berth. We live on the third floor, and due to our proximity to the Inlet, the massive size of the QM2 looms large. Currently we are booked on the July QM2 fjord cruise and look forward to catching up with her on the other side of the Pond.

Last December during the holidays we were on board the Celebrity Century anchored beside the QE2 in St. Kitts. Both ships sailed back to Fort Lauderdale, with the Century arriving a day ahead of the QE2 (surely the QE2 made a stop along the way). It was great seeing her twice in a span of a few days. I am intrigued by the January 3rd passage as I have many offshore bluewater sea miles under my belt on a private yacht including a transatlantic. A good force 7 with some bouncing around is just my cup of tea.

Fair winds,

Caroline

Hi Caroline

How lucky you are to live in Ft Lauderdale. Are you in one of those blocks on the cut where the whistles/bells ring when ships leave port? I have always said that one of those appartments would be my dream home. We have sailed out of Lauderdale 3/4 times and I love the razzamataz of passing those flats. Twice we were with Holland America and I think there is an ex Captain in one of the blocks because all hell broke loose as we went by!

We visit Ft Lauderdale every autumn and usually try to find a westbound Transatlantic to take us over. Last year we came on Prinsendam which was disappointing, unfortunately we cannot make the dates work for an autumn QM crossing this year but hope to do a May eastbound again next year.

I hope your fjords cruise will be wonderful.

Mick

Hi Mick,

You are correct in surmising that we live in the condos along the inlet. Often when we introduce ourselves onboard to other cruising folks they often identify us as The Condo People. As you recall many residents send off the ships with bells, whistles, and waving flags. The inaugural arrival of the QM2 sent the residents "over the top." As you can imagine, there were many festive parties celebrating that wonderful event.

People who live in the buildings in this enclave of condos love the ships and appreciate the location. Many residents have connections to the sea, including yacht brokers, a ship's engineer, a harbor pilot, boatyard managers, a captain for a commercial shipping company, etc. Aside from the beautiful view, it is a very interesting place to live with the comings and goings of the Port.

Last Saturday we held the 9th annual Hospice Regatta, a fundraiser for the local hospice organization. The Inlet was a colorful sight with 75 sailboats headed out to sea. I had the pleasure of crewing on "The Chesapeake," a Westsail 42 ketch formerly owned by Walter Cronkite. It is my 9th year crewing on this same vessel with the same crew, working the winches, steering, navigating, and serving luncheon sandwiches.

That is a little slice of life on this side of the Pond. Tonight we head to the local pub for our weekly Friday night mix with our dear British friends. There are thousands of your countrymen in Florida and we feel privileged to enjoy the wit of the English, the Scots, and the Welsh living in Fort Lauderdale.

Best regards,

Caroline

Hi Caroline

What a wonderful place to live. It would be my idea of heaven to live in one of those condos and see the ships going by every morning and afternoon. I have walked round many times to stand at the beach end of the cut and watch the 'parade' depart on a Saturday or Sunday evening. Its a wonderful experience to hear the razzamatazz... mind - its even more exciting to be aboard waving back!

Grand Princess is due to pass by the office window here in the next half hour but the rain and mist are so bad I will hardly be able to see her. QM2 is due in tomorrow.

Fort Lauderdale sounds much better than rainy old Southampton!

Mick

Hi mickB

Have a quick question. I have posted my question before about mass onboard QM2. They were still having it for most cruises/crossing six months ago. Was wondering if this was still the case with all the Princess changes. Could you please tell me if you remember seeing it in the daily programme?

Thank you very much.

Hi Mick,

You are correct in surmising that we live in the condos along the inlet. Often when we introduce ourselves onboard to other cruising folks they often identify us as The Condo People. As you recall many residents send off the ships with bells, whistles, and waving flags. The inaugural arrival of the QM2 sent the residents "over the top." As you can imagine, there were many festive parties celebrating that wonderful event.

People who live in the buildings in this enclave of condos love the ships and appreciate the location. Many residents have connections to the sea, including yacht brokers, a ship's engineer, a harbor pilot, boatyard managers, a captain for a commercial shipping company, etc. Aside from the beautiful view, it is a very interesting place to live with the comings and goings of the Port.

Caroline

I envy you Caroline! I have always wanted to live in one of those condos from they day I took my first cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale (many years ago!). I would definitely be one of those that had flags, horns, and lights positioned on my balcony. What a festive way to enjoy the early evening during the weekends.

I know Miami Beach too has condos that face Government Cut and the port, but it's just not the same as Ft. Lauderdale. I don't think those residents have a clue as to what ships are coming and going, or even care. Old school vs new school I guess! ;)

Ernie

As llanp said there was mass everyday. Theerwas also an interdenominational service held by Commodore Warwick on Sunday in the Royal court Theatre.

This was a traditional service with 3 hymns ( including 'for those in peril on the sea'!), prayers and 2 readings. It was attended by about 300 passengers on our crossing and lasted about 30 minutes.

Mick and Ernie,

You would find a bit of frustration living in these condo blocks at the moment. Tonight at 8:00 p.m. the 17th Street Causeway closes for five whole days to all residents in the area. The OAS (Organization of American States) conference starts this weekend with heads of state from many Latin American countries in attendance. Pier 66 will house President Bush and Secy of State Condoleezza Rice. The President's brother, Jeb, our governor, is also attending, of course. The Secret Service has commandeered the tops of condo buildings to keep an eye on things. Conference sessions will take place in the convention center on the west side of the bridge (near the Grand Princess/Caribbean Princess berth). Protesters are organizing in the parking lot near Bravo's restaurant. The Fort Lauderdale police are rehearsing in full riot gear (in the 90 degree heat).

Have you visited the lovely little St. Sebastian Church during your visits to Fort Lauderdale? It is the one with the gold dome that you may have noticed on your sailaway out of Port Everglades. It is located near the condos, among the houses that face the inlet. It seems that there was to be a wedding there Saturday afternoon, but the Secret Service asked the monsignor to have the bride and groom relocate because the Secret Service are staging their operations from the parking lot.

We must reroute all personal travel by going up the beach to A1A (past the Sheraton Yankee Clipper), then west through downtown. It will take an extra hour out of my day each day due to road construction on A1A. It is more than an inconvenience to all residents. They call it a fiasco.

I realize this is not cruise related but gives you a little slice of life here. I will be curious to see if the Caribbean Princess docks in her usual spot tomorrow and how they will handle the passengers in this area.

Best regards,

Caroline

Caroline

What a pain for you! That must add half an hour to your journey downtown! I have stayed at Pier 66 and the Yankee Clipper so realise what a hassle that will be.

I know that Homeland security is an issue ( it's reinforced every time one has to queue for an hour or more at US immigration after a long transatlantic flight)... but to close the bridge - that seems like overkill. I know the little church you mean but have never been inside.

Are there still as many ships using the port during the summer months? Southampton has 5 P & O ships homeporting there for the summer as well as QM & QE2, an RCCL ship and assorted occasional visitors, so there's quite a lot to look at!

Mick

Mick,

It is said that the City of Fort Lauderdale is spending $6M on security for the OAS conference. There is a substantial fence along the perimeter of Pier 66 leading across the front of the property with a police blockade at the foot of the bridge on the east side. On the west side of bridge there is another fence running from the entrance to Port Everglades north across 17th Street to the Art Institute. This setup creates a corridor for dignitaries to safely traverse from Pier 66 to the convention center. The area is crawling with policemen and sherriff's office helicopters. I passed through a police checkpoint last evening near Walgreen's pharmacy (located on the southwest corner of 17th Street and Eisenhower Pkwy). We have had a weekend of rain, so only 100 protesters showed up. Condaleezza Rice speaks tonight and Pres. Bush speaks tomorrow. Nonetheless we locals are still forced to travel the long way around town. I spoke to the Mayor last night at a Marine Industries Association function and he shrugged his shoulders. Overall, the City is pleased to host the dignitaries.

You are correct to surmise that the Port is rather quiet over the summer. The Caribbean Princess and the Zuiderdam sail on Saturdays. You may recall that the Zuiderdam docks near the former Bert & Jack's restaurant (sadly closed after 9-11). The Caribbean Princess normally docks adjacent to the convention center. However, due to security for the OAS meeting, yesterday she was moved to the berth normally used by the Century and other Celebrity ships, just west of Bert & Jacks. RCCL's Empress goes out every five days. The Century formerly called on Saturdays and has moved to Amsterdam for the season. Commercial shipping continues as usual. How nice for you to have more ships to watch in the summer!

Best regards,

Caroline

Hmm...... a January Crossing!! Hope you get your sealegs quickly!! Are you going on the world cruise?

Mick

Mick:

No, we're not going on the World Cruise. We're doing the westbound QE2 crossing to NY. I know some people might think that sounds a little nutty ( a winter crossing), but QE2 now only makes one crossing each year and December-January is when she does it, so there you go. I think this voyage is almost sold out - there are many of us who still enjoy making the trip on the old girl. Someday we'll switch over to the "big one"....again I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your crossing !!!

Cheers

Tom

Archived