Which ports on your own ???

suncityga

Auckland - Tauranga - Napier - Dunedin (NZ)

Hobart - Adelaide - Freemantle - Port Hedland (AUS)

Hi everyone,

We would appreciate information from those of you that have done any of the ports listed above completely on your own.

We have information on recommended tour companies and specific guided tours from Cruise Critic/TripAdvisor and also have a fair amount of info on the top attractions at each port.

We would appreciate hearing back from those that did not work with a private tour/guide and planned your shore day on your own. What did you see/do and how did it work out? Would you recommend it?

Thank you :)

Not sure how much you already know so hope I have not been either too detailed or did not provide information you would find useful. We do not like coach tours so tend to hire cars or do the public transport/walking thing.

Auckland

We have gone "solo" both times. We have wandered the city - had lunch in the Sky Tower and explored the harbour - a day of walking and taking our time and a ferry trip. Enjoyable because the day was fine and clear so the view was excellent - we avoided the expensive menu items and stuck to the appetisers and good NZ wine. WE booked ahead to secure a window table. Second trip we visited the Zoo and again did some harbour wandering - less extensive and on the foreshores only due to the mistry on and off rain. We are Zoo tragics and Auckland is an excellent zoo with some well presented exhibits. I did one of their ZooM Experience tours - Meet the Lemurs which was excellent. You can book via their web site.

Tauranga

You dock at Mt Manganui as you probably know. We usually hire a car from Rite Price rentals and head off to the Thermal Areas around Rotorua - easy driving - Google maps are accurate with directions and route maps. Wai O Tapu is our favourite - not really worth rushing there for the Geyser (IMO). Rotorua itself is worth a drive around if you have the time and there is a "free" thermal area in a public park, which also has an excellent childrens play area. Had a cool break at Rainbow Springs one visit - nice cafe for a short break. We also enjoyed the Buried Village, again "found" via Google maps - nice outdoor cafe. We have also walked around Mt Manganui itself - good beach with small pavement cafes and a strip shopping centre in the town with a mix of service and touristy shops. There is a shuttle or local bus into Tauranga itself but we like Mt Manganui. We did the walk around option the day our ship was delayed into Tauranga.

Napier

The town itself is its own attraction.The ships shuttle will drop you at the I site where you could pick up a tour on spec for scenery or wineries but it is a good port for walking - lots to look at with the Art deco Buildings and the sea front with the Aquarium (well worth a visit). We picked up a local site guide and did our own self guided tour. Cafes along the shopping streets are plentiful and we had lunch before returning to the ship. A visit to the wine centre is worth including. Usually only have a half day in Napier so we keep it simple.

Dunedin 3 different experiences. 1. The Taieri Gorge train which is an excellent day - thoroughly recommended. Lots of advice on the Au/Nz ports board on booking this independently. 2. Shuttle into town - explored the Octogon, Gallery etc, off to Speights for their tour - well worth it but skip the option with lunch included!. Wise to book ahead by email as the mid to late morning tours are very popular and book out. People were turning up on spec and being turned away or told to come back later in the afternoon. 3. Hired a car from Pegasus including wharf side collection and drop off - not a cheap option but wanted to get out and about. Spent the day on the Otago Peninsula - Albatross Centre, Lanarch Castle, harbour, sea side and hill country scenery, wild life, boutique and quaint shops and a nice lunch with NZ wine. Again Google maps were my saviour plus a local Peninsula attractions map. A really good day with fine weather and good visibility. Car arrangements worked like clockwork.

Enjoy!

Hi Suncityga I live in Adelaide so I am happy to help you with any information you may like.

Adelaide is not a big city but you can find plenty of things to do :D

We have great wines which are located in the wine districts of Barossa and Mclaren Vale...there are plenty of wine tours I can give you information on that if you like.

The Adelaide zoo is located in the city and you can do up close and personal tour with the animals for extra if you want to.

Handorf is German based town not far out of Adelaide...it has great craft stores and is a lovely place to have lunch and have a wander.

Glenelg is our beach side suburb there is shopping (not a lot though ) and a nice beach with jetty to walk along...also some great pubs to have a drink and food at...from here you can also get on our only tram line which takes you directly in to the city...it is not expensive and is a nice trip...then you can wander around the city...if you want a list of places I can try and recommend just let me know what you are interested in:D

Hope this helps...there is a lot more so just ask :D

I forgot to say I can sort of help with Fremantle too...great place to just wander around and then perhaps hop on a Swan River cruise....fanatstic fun :)

Not sure how much you already know so hope I have not been either too detailed or did not provide information you would find useful. We do not like coach tours so tend to hire cars or do the public transport/walking thing.

Enjoy!

Hi cmj66,

Thank you very much for the information and please feel free to provide as much detail as you want. We also do our best to avoid large coach tours and prefer to do the 'public transport/walking thing'. We have also ruled out hiring/renting cars for the day because of the driving on the left hand side of the road, driver's license and insurance issues. We fully appreciate the advantages of hiring a car.

Auckland: Thanks for the good info on the Sky Tower. We have been leaning to exploring the harbor area and the ferry. Any suggestions as to the ferry choices? We would also enjoy the Zoo... did you use public transportation or a taxi to the Zoo? Our info is that the ship docks not far from the city center.

Tauranga: We have information on the trails around and up to Mt Manganui and were planning on doing those (weather permitting). We had sort of ruled out Rotorua because of distance and we had read that if one has been fortunate to have been to other thermal areas, it was OK to pass. We have been to thermal and geyser areas in Iceland and Yellowstone... so at this point, Rotorua is on the back burner. Any other suggestions?

Napier: We only have half a day and we are looking forward to enjoying a walking tour of the Art Deco area.

Dunedin: We were planning on doing the Taieri Gorge Train, but it has been completely booked by the two large cruise ships in port.... only way to do it is with the ship's tour. We like the Shuttle into town option and thank you for the tip on the Speights Tour. Since we have ruled out the hired/rental car, we are also considering a couple of local private tours to see the Otago Peninsula wildlife, Lanarch Castle, the harbor area, and the sea side/hill country scenery. Understand it is not an easy question to answer... since you have done both the Otago Wildlife/Lanarch Castle sightseeing and the Taieri Gorge Train, which one would be your top choice?

We really appreciate your willingness to share.

Thank you ! ! ! :)

Hi Suncityga I live in Adelaide so I am happy to help you with any information you may like.

Hope this helps...there is a lot more so just ask :D

I forgot to say I can sort of help with Fremantle too...great place to just wander around and then perhaps hop on a Swan River cruise....fanatstic fun :)

Hi Lanikeekee,

Thank you very much for your information. It is always great to hear what the locals have to share. We prefer to do the public transport options, if they are practical, love to visit local craft markets and do walking sightseeing tours.

We know your region has great wines and wineries, but have done a few winery tours in the past and are looking forward to enjoying some of the other Adelaide attractions. Our early research points to The Botanical Gardens, the Cleland Wildlife Park (same as the Zoo ???), the Glenelg Tram and maybe the Adelaide Central Market. Also have read some about a River Torrens Linear Park Trail... not sure how that would work out.

If my map reading skills are correct... it looks like we will docking in the Outer Harbor area and we will not be very far from Port Adelaide. What would be our transportation options from Port Adelaide/Outer Harbor to the Adelaide city center area? Any suggestions on transportation options would be very helpful.

As far as Freemantle... please let us know your thoughts and suggestions. We have information on many walking trail maps (waterfront trail, convict trail and discovery trail) provided by the city. Freemantle is the end point of our first cruise... we will be sailing again from Freemantle later that evening on the repositioning of Voyager of the Seas to Singapore.

We would love to know more at the Swan River Cruise.

Thank you very much ! ! ! :)

I would say you could do all the ports on your own. There are quite a few threads on these boards with suggestions on itineraries and tour companies if you want to go with them

I have been to most of those places but on land tours (do it ourselves) not cruises.

We had sort of ruled out Rotorua Rotorua is only about a 1 hour drive from Tauranga, so very do-able by car, easy driving. As to ruling it out because we had read that if one has been fortunate to have been to other thermal areas, it was OK to pass.

I for one disagree with that. We had been to Rotorua and surrounding thermal areas a few years ago and then last year went to Yellowstone. First off, we loved Yellowstone but I loved NZ's thermal areas more. I was disappointed by Ole Faithfull but I did love the whole park area, the thermals, the animals and would go back in a heartbeat.

We are going back to Rotorua (reminds me of the song, lol) in December and I can't wait.

Fremantle, ( I live in W.A.) I am not 100% sure about the river cruises and their timetables but here is a link to one company, email them to see if any of their cruises fit your timetable.

The rail line is right at the cruise ship terminal so you could take a train into the city, 30 min trip, then walk down Barrack St to the river cruise terminal and hop on a cruise back to Fremantle.

http://www.captaincookcruises.com.au/listing.aspx?CAT=FREMANTLE

Hi cmj66,

Auckland: Thanks for the good info on the Sky Tower. We have been leaning to exploring the harbor area and the ferry. Any suggestions as to the ferry choices? We would also enjoy the Zoo... did you use public transportation or a taxi to the Zoo? Our info is that the ship docks not far from the city center. Timing and H's scooter limited us to a quick trip across to Devonport - the islands looked more interesting but take time and - not all wharves are accessible. We taxied out to the Zoo and back. There is good public transport - buses. Check out the zoo web site. You will dock down hill from the city centre on the harbour. We (well I) walked it easily up to the Sky Tower.

Tauranga: We have information on the trails around and up to Mt Manganui and were planning on doing those (weather permitting). We had sort of ruled out Rotorua because of distance and we had read that if one has been fortunate to have been to other thermal areas, it was OK to pass. We have been to thermal and geyser areas in Iceland and Yellowstone... so at this point, Rotorua is on the back burner. Any other suggestions? The Manganui Trails is a good choice for a fine day and you will be able to call into the beach for a quick swim in the briny or a latte at one of the cafes - or both! If the weather is not good for tramping be prepared to change your mind and pick up a tour on the wharf at or around the I site office - get off early to avoid the queues.

Napier: We only have half a day and we are looking forward to enjoying a walking tour of the Art Deco area. Good choice!

Dunedin: We were planning on doing the Taieri Gorge Train, but it has been completely booked by the two large cruise ships in port.... only way to do it is with the ship's tour. We like the Shuttle into town option and thank you for the tip on the Speights Tour. Since we have ruled out the hired/rental car, we are also considering a couple of local private tours to see the Otago Peninsula wildlife, Lanarch Castle, the harbor area, and the sea side/hill country scenery. Understand it is not an easy question to answer... since you have done both the Otago Wildlife/Lanarch Castle sightseeing and the Taieri Gorge Train, which one would be your top choice? The Taieri Gorge is a good "all weather" choice - we also did the ship's tour and enjoyed the posh packed lunch and wine - plus the conversation with out table companions. It was a dullish cold day and the scenery was still there out in the cold while we were in the warm. For us the freedom of working out our own itinerary was the plus of the Otago Peninsula AND the glorious day. I would check out recommendations for wild life tours with a more specific question on this board before deciding.

We really appreciate your willingness to share.

Thank you ! ! !

:)

You are welcome! Cheers Colleen

Hi Lanikeekee,

Thank you very much for your information. It is always great to hear what the locals have to share. We prefer to do the public transport options, if they are practical, love to visit local craft markets and do walking sightseeing tours.

We know your region has great wines and wineries, but have done a few winery tours in the past and are looking forward to enjoying some of the other Adelaide attractions. Our early research points to The Botanical Gardens, the Cleland Wildlife Park (same as the Zoo ???), the Glenelg Tram and maybe the Adelaide Central Market. Also have read some about a River Torrens Linear Park Trail... not sure how that would work out.

If my map reading skills are correct... it looks like we will docking in the Outer Harbor area and we will not be very far from Port Adelaide. What would be our transportation options from Port Adelaide/Outer Harbor to the Adelaide city center area? Any suggestions on transportation options would be very helpful.

As far as Freemantle... please let us know your thoughts and suggestions. We have information on many walking trail maps (waterfront trail, convict trail and discovery trail) provided by the city. Freemantle is the end point of our first cruise... we will be sailing again from Freemantle later that evening on the repositioning of Voyager of the Seas to Singapore.

We would love to know more at the Swan River Cruise.

Thank you very much ! ! ! :)

Hi Suncityga I am working for the next couple of days so I will answer more soon...can you just let me know if you are in Adelaide on a weekend or weekday as this will affect on what to do...talk soon :) And if you give me dates I will see if there is anything special on for you as we are a state of festivals :)

We had been to Rotorua and surrounding thermal areas a few years ago and then last year went to Yellowstone. First off, we loved Yellowstone but I loved NZ's thermal areas more. I was disappointed by Ole Faithfull but I did love the whole park area, the thermals, the animals and would go back in a heartbeat.

Hi tickford,

Thank you for thoughts on Rotorua and for the river cruise website.

We appreciate it. :)

Hi Suncityga I am working for the next couple of days so I will answer more soon...can you just let me know if you are in Adelaide on a weekend or weekday as this will affect on what to do...talk soon :) And if you give me dates I will see if there is anything special on for you as we are a state of festivals :)

Hi Lanikeekee,

No problem at all... please take your time in replying. We arrive in Sydney in mid Ferbruary 2013.

We will be in Adelaide on Tuesday 05 Mar 2013 from 08:00 to 19:00. We will be in Freemantle 09 March 2013 from 06:00 to 22:00.

Thank you very much :)

Auckland - Tauranga - Napier - Dunedin (NZ)

Hobart - Adelaide - Freemantle - Port Hedland (AUS)

Hi everyone,

We would appreciate information from those of you that have done any of the ports listed above completely on your own.

We have information on recommended tour companies and specific guided tours from Cruise Critic/TripAdvisor and also have a fair amount of info on the top attractions at each port.

We would appreciate hearing back from those that did not work with a private tour/guide and planned your shore day on your own. What did you see/do and how did it work out? Would you recommend it?

Thank you :)

Kia ora,

Rotorua is in the middle of a large thermal area ranging from White Island, off the coast to the volcanic plateau (which includes the active volcano of Ruapehu and its ski fields). If you haven't seen the Rotorua area I would liken it to going to Civitavecchia without seeing Rome and as CJM66 indicates it is well worth a visit. Rotorua is about one hours drive from the port. It is different from other thermal areas and has the added attraction of being a centre of Maori culture where you can wander through the steam coming out of the ground around the village areas of Whakarewarewa or Ohinemutu, or wander through the park and see a hot lake and boiling mud pools, visit any one of a number of thermal areas, experience the unique Maori culture, be welcomed onto a Marae etc. If this doesn't interest you there is the native bush, great trout fishing and various outdoor adventure activities. www.rotorua.co.nz may help with your deliberations.

Aquarians

Hi Lanikeekee,

No problem at all... please take your time in replying. We arrive in Sydney in mid Ferbruary 2013.

We will be in Adelaide on Tuesday 05 Mar 2013 from 08:00 to 19:00. We will be in Freemantle 09 March 2013 from 06:00 to 22:00.

Thank you very much :)

Hi Suncityga.. just realised you are going to be on VOS...just got off it 2 weeks ago after we did Singapore to Shanghai...so wonderful

I will endevour to give you as many choices I can for Adelaide...and yes you are lucky even though you are here on a Tuesday we are in our major festival time :)

I thought about the taxi public transport option for you...Outer Harbour is a far distance from anything and although it may only take you less than an hour to get anywhere in Adelaide CBD it will cost you in Taxi fares more than $60 AUD one way...I would suggest taking the Transfer in to the city...I am sure this will be much less than anything else.

We have a great city to walk around as it is very flat ... The markets are open on Tuesdays but will not be as lively as a Friday/saturday....here is the link :)

http://www.adelaidecentralmarket.com.au/

We also have the Fringe Festival on at that time...located in the CBD and right next to the Botanical gardens and the Wine centre and the Zoo...keep in mind it is a good walk,,but very flat :) Here is the link to the Fringe...very alternative but lots of fun :)

http://www.adelaidefringe.com.au/about

Here is the link to the zoo

http://www.zoossa.com.au/adelaide-zoo

And the wine centre

http://www.wineaustralia.com.au/

And the botanical gardens

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/botanicgardens/home

If you look at a map of Adelaide CBD you will see that these are all located within walking distance to each other...please let me know if you want more info :)

Yolanthe alias Lanikeekee

email ysimpson@live.com.au

Hi Suncityga...my husband just said that it will cost less than $50 to get in a taxi to the city...to Glenelg it may be about $40 then you can have a wander and then catch a tram which is only $4.00 for 2 hours of travel.

I forgot to say that when you are in the city that North Terrace..which is one of our main roads has the Art Gallery, Museum, Parliment House, Government House, The Casino, University of Adelaide...Ayres House ( Old Heritage Building) and the Botanical gardens...all of this on one long road...just great to walk along and nearly all of it free entrance :)

If you decide against travelling to Rotorua which I would recommend you do go and see and are fans of the Lord of the Rings movies which were filmed here in New Zealand maybe you would enjoy this place,

http://www.hobbitontours.com/

They do tours that will pick you up from the dock and return you there afterwards. Have to say I live in Matamata so I am sort of bias.... lol.

Wai-o-tapu in Rotorua is well worth the visit you would not be disappointed.

http://www.waiotapu.co.nz/

Enjoy your visit to New Zealand.

Kia ora,

Rotorua is in the middle of a large thermal area ranging from White Island, off the coast to the volcanic plateau (which includes the active volcano of Ruapehu and its ski fields). If you haven't seen the Rotorua area I would liken it to going to Civitavecchia without seeing Rome and as CJM66 indicates it is well worth a visit. Rotorua is about one hours drive from the port. It is different from other thermal areas and has the added attraction of being a centre of Maori culture where you can wander through the steam coming out of the ground around the village areas of Whakarewarewa or Ohinemutu, or wander through the park and see a hot lake and boiling mud pools, visit any one of a number of thermal areas, experience the unique Maori culture, be welcomed onto a Marae etc. If this doesn't interest you there is the native bush, great trout fishing and various outdoor adventure activities. www.rotorua.co.nz may help with your deliberations.

Aquarians

Kia ora,

Thank you for the additional information.

Have a great day ! ! ! :)

Hi Suncityga.. just realised you are going to be on VOS...just got off it 2 weeks ago after we did Singapore to Shanghai...so wonderful

Yolanthe alias Lanikeekee

Hi Yolanthe,

WOW.... thank you so much for all the info. We appreciate it very much ! ! ! We will review all the websites and will let you know if we have any new questions. Look forward to stopping by the Festival.

PS: We did Singapore to Shanghai last year on Legend of the Seas and also had a wonderful time... great experience ! ! ! We have been on VOS before and we enjoy it very much.

If you decide against travelling to Rotorua which I would recommend you do go and see and are fans of the Lord of the Rings movies which were filmed here in New Zealand maybe you would enjoy this place,

Enjoy your visit to New Zealand.

Hi Te Aroha,

Thank you for the info and link on LOTR. We have not been big fans of the movies/books, but your information is very helpful. We are really looking forward to our time in New Zealand.

Archived