My A to Z review, Liberty July 7, 2012

hayesktrm

J: Jardin Café—we went here twice. The lattes were just okay (we are from Seattle originally and love Starbucks), but the cookies were great!

K: K—Karl with a K. He was a great Cruise Director. Is it just me or does he remind anyone of Davy Jones? He was funny, engaging and just plain nice. A good Cruise Director doesn’t make or break a cruise for me, but it’s nice bonus.

L: Library—we went here a few times and played Battleship, Trivial Pursuit and Yahtzee. It was fun spending time with the kids. They are at age where they are constantly going somewhere so we don’t have a lot of time together. My only complaint is that there were many games with a lot of missing pieces.

M: Miniature Golf—this was my third Conquest ship and I have never played mini-golf. Every time I say I am going to do it and never do. I finally did it. I got beat terribly by my DH. It was fun, though.

Thanks for the Cabana picture. I had #11 in May on my Destiny cruise and loved it. Boy, do I wish I was there right now :D I'm on the LIberty in November but doing the Western Caribbean itinerary but looking forward to your full review

I really loved that cabana. Close enough to the bathrooms, bar and food, but private enough to enjoy. I have a picture of me in front of the ship and it actually looks like I'm the only one in the water! Would definitely go back here!

M: Miniature Golf—this was my third Conquest ship and I have never played mini-golf. Every time I say I am going to do it and never do. I finally did it. I got beat terribly by my DH. It was fun, though.

076-1.jpg

N: New upgrades—Guy’s burgers, Blue Iguana Burrito Bar, Red Frog Rum Bar, Blue Iguana Tequila Bar. The only thing I didn’t cover was that between the Red Frog Rum Bar and the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar one of these was always closed. I was surprised because these were just debuted so I wondered why they would need to upgrade/update them again. One was closed early on in the cruise and then the other one closed and the first one opened back up. On our San Juan day it was loud and a gentleman came to the guest services desk to complain loudly about the noise. He said his wife had a headache and his girls wanted to sit around the pool, but it was too loud. They went to the adult pool and someone told them they had to leave. The girls were around 13 he said. I felt bad for the guest services person, but I guess I understand his position, too. I guess I would have said to the wife, go back to the cabin and relax and I’ll stay with the girls. Then I would put in my headphones like his girls probably had. Or, let them stay by themselves. As soon as it was sail time, they stopped. I guess when the ship is in port is the only time they can do these kind of things. A no win situation, I guess.

O: Other onboard activities I didn’t cover—they had trivia at various times, EA video sports challenges, corn hole, Love and Marriage show and Afternoon Tea Time (I’ll cover trivia and tea time in T). We only walked into the video game sports challenge once, but it was well attended. There was always someone playing corn hole when it was set out. The Love and Marriage show was hilarious. We have always said we would go and have never made it so I was so happy we went. I thought the funniest people were the 50 years married couple, but they were all very funny. You could sure tell who the newly married couple was.

P: Punchliners—We went to two shows, one family friendly one with the kids and one adult only. The family friendly one towards the end of the cruise was GREAT! They had lots of jokes about teenage girls so we had fun teasing our DD. Okay, so now maybe my prudishness will show through (although I have never been labeled one before). I wish I remembered his name, but we went to a show and his entire monologue was about sex…the entire thing. At times it was just disgusting. When he engaged the audience and was more ad-lib I thought he was pretty funny, but his jokes were just crude, IMO. I have been to many adult-only comedy shows over my cruises and have thought they have all been funny and haven’t been offended at all, but this was SO over the top. I wish I could tell you one thing he said, but it is so offensive I am sure if I shared it I would be booted off this forum forever! Anyway, IMO, being crude about sex does not make you clever or funny. My DS went to another show and said it was very funny and didn’t involve the amount of sex talk as this one. I guess I should have just left, but I didn’t want to be rude to him (and I kept thinking, surely he will talk about something other than sex). Okay, done with my rant now.

punchliners.jpg

punchliners2.jpg

Past Guest Party—we have never been to one, but because we just turned Gold (again) and felt special, I made everyone go. The appetizers were wonderful, I thought. The drinks were good, too. They served two specialties. They were very nice and brought my kids anything they wanted. I had 1-1/2 drinks and I think my DH had almost three, then switched to diet coke. Luckily I tried the second drink of the night before my husband because he is very allergic to coconut and it had it in it. I couldn’t believe the amount of wait staff they had. It was very nice and I felt pampered. They really wanted us to eat and drink. Poor Karl, all of the graphics and videos didn’t work, so he had to ad-lib this part. That part was a little disappointing. The audio was working, but we didn’t see anything on the screen. The band played for a while and they had some games. The kids weren’t really into it, so at 45 minutes we left to get ready for dinner. All in all, it was nice, but if I never went again, I wouldn’t be disappointed.

The appetizers were a beef thing with cheese served warm. My DH loves these and had a bunch. The other one was Prosciutto and cheese on a kind of bread. I really liked those. The whole family liked both of these. I don't think they served any others. Sorry I can't be more specific and I know what I wrote doesn't sound appetizing, but we thought they were really good.

The appetizers were a beef thing with cheese served warm. My DH loves these and had a bunch. The other one was Prosciutto and cheese on a kind of bread. I really liked those. The whole family liked both of these. I don't think they served any others. Sorry I can't be more specific and I know what I wrote doesn't sound appetizing, but we thought they were really good.
did they introduce the most traveled passengers at the party?

P (continued): Photographers—wow, are they pushy when coming into port. We knew we weren’t going to buy any of those pictures so we didn’t want to waste their time or ours, but they still were aggressive about taking our picture. We spent about $123 on pictures. The kids always have a fun time going off on their own to get their pictures taken. It always makes me laugh the way they make you pose. We saw one that was confusing because it looked like he thought they were boyfriend/girlfriend…a little creepy for the kids. I will show you the one that I love because it makes me laugh. They did another one where my son had his hand to his forehead like he was looking for a whale or something. We also had a few taken of the family, and again, a lot of those looked silly because we were in these weird “Twister” type poses.

ahoy.jpg

Q: Quinceanera—there was a huge group celebrating their Quinceaneras. It looked like there was some private tour company that handles it because they all had matching travel agent t-shirts. I was a little worried about this group taking over parts of the ship because I have heard of that happening in the past, but I was pleasantly surprised. We accidentally went into the Venetian Palace and they were practicing their dancing for their big event. It was really quite beautiful and the girls dancing with their dads brought a tear to my eye. I walked in to the spa while some of them were getting their hair done, and they looked so beautiful.

Quest—said we were going to go because we went to this while on a RCL ship and had a ton of fun, but missed it. Oh well, maybe next time.

Archived