kindle freebie

Top Sights Travel Guide: Dubrovnik (Top Sights Travel Guides)

free on kindle/ amazon at the moment

also for maramis

Got them. Thanks for the tip.:)

Jan

Are they only available for Kindle? Or is that a silly question - sorry not very clued up with these things - but have a differnet make of eReader. :confused:

I think so, but you can get a kindle app for a smart phone, use that for my break times at work, these books seem to be changing every day dubrovnik is now £1.98

Are they only available for Kindle? Or is that a silly question - sorry not very clued up with these things - but have a differnet make of eReader. :confused:

You can download apps for your pc and android that will enable you to buy or download free books, go to amazon.co.uk and search for Kindle. Not as convenient reading them on a computer but saves buying a kindle. I've got the app for my android tablet. You will have to have an account with Amazon to download books but if you have ever bought from them that will do, otherwise just register.

You won't be able to use another ereader as Amazon have exclusive rights to the ebooks they sell and you can only read them on Kindle, apart from the aforementioned Kindle apps.

Hope that makes sense kruzseeka.:)

Jan

You can download apps for your pc and android that will enable you to buy or download free books, go to amazon.co.uk and search for Kindle. Not as convenient reading them on a computer but saves buying a kindle. I've got the app for my android tablet. You will have to have an account with Amazon to download books but if you have ever bought from them that will do, otherwise just register.

Hope that makes sense kruzseeka.:)

Jan

Thanks Jan - yes we do have an Amazon account - my eReader is a Sony but I don't think the Kindle format is compatible - I'll get DH on the job. I can't even download the proper ones myself!! :o But thanks for the advice Jan and for flagging this up mtt. Very helpful - always keen to take advantage of a freebie!

Thanks Jan - yes we do have an Amazon account - my eReader is a Sony but I don't think the Kindle format is compatible - I'll get DH on the job. I can't even download the proper ones myself!! :o But thanks for the advice Jan and for flagging this up mtt. Very helpful - always keen to take advantage of a freebie!

I just had a quick look and it's easier just to Google Kindle for pc then get the app from there.:)

Good luck, lol.

Jan

I hope it works, if not let me know. I was ready for sleep last night so was a bit delirious. (Did I spell that right?)

Linda said that Berwyn's back. Not sure where but I'll have a look later.:):)

Jan

Brain in gear now kruzseeka, lol. Click on the link below and follow the easy instructions, then fill in your account details or open an account. Go to the store and search for the travel guides and click on the one's you want. You will get a 'one click to buy' option but don't worry as you won't be charged. The download will come into the Kindle app on your desktop straight away.:)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000423913

Jan

Brain in gear now kruzseeka, lol. Click on the link below and follow the easy instructions, then fill in your account details or open an account. Go to the store and search for the travel guides and click on the one's you want. You will get a 'one click to buy' option but don't worry as you won't be charged. The download will come into the Kindle app on your desktop straight away.:)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000423913

Jan

Thanks Jan - got it. :) At least on the pc - will get DH to investigate whether or not it's possible to 'translate' it into the format used by Sony for my eReader so that it can be downloaded onto that. They aren't the same as the Kindle so that's a bit of a bind! Still at least I'll be able to do the research on the computer and hopefully he'll 'crack' getting it on my Reader - good job too as I'm useless! :o

Thanks Jan - got it. :) At least on the pc - will get DH to investigate whether or not it's possible to 'translate' it into the format used by Sony for my eReader so that it can be downloaded onto that. They aren't the same as the Kindle so that's a bit of a bind! Still at least I'll be able to do the research on the computer and hopefully he'll 'crack' getting it on my Reader - good job too as I'm useless! :o

I doubt you will be able to put it on your ereader as Kindle books are DRM protected as they want you to be tied in to their ereader and not use other ones. You could try a program called Calibre, which is free, to convert the guides. I have used it for other books and will try and convert a Kindle book later to see if it works. :)

Jan

I doubt you will be able to put it on your ereader as Kindle books are DRM protected as they want you to be tied in to their ereader and not use other ones. You could try a program called Calibre, which is free, to convert the guides. I have used it for other books and will try and convert a Kindle book later to see if it works. :)

Jan

Thanks for the tip Jan - you're obviously much more skilled than me in these things! :D:o

Thanks for the tip Jan - you're obviously much more skilled than me in these things! :D:o

You're welcome Kruzseeka.:)

Brace yourself, lol.

Right, you can convert Kindle books to put on your Sony through Calibre. You need to watch the tutorial though. It will work for the non-DRM books, which will probably be the free classics you can get from Amazon. I did find a free trial program on the internet that will take the DRM security off Kindle books, such as the travel guides, which then allows you to convert them through Calibre (you attach your ereader to your computer and Calibre will see it and send the book to it). I tried a convert and it worked but you are only allowed 3 conversions then you have to pay but there may be other programs on the web. I know you are probably going cross-eyed now but if you know someone who is au fait with converting ebooks then they can do it for you. The Kindle books you download should be in Users/??/MyDocuments/MyKindleContent. Am I making sense, lol. Patience, patience.:D:D

Jan

Phew Kruzseeka, you've stretched me a bit with this but I've found some plug-ins for Calibre which means you can convert DRM protected ebooks and put them on another ereader. I converted all the travel guides and they are now on my Kobo ereader. It's a bit complicated but if your OH is up to it I can send you the links and instructions. It's worth the trouble, eventually, lol.:D;)

Jan

Phew Kruzseeka, you've stretched me a bit with this but I've found some plug-ins for Calibre which means you can convert DRM protected ebooks and put them on another ereader. I converted all the travel guides and they are now on my Kobo ereader. It's a bit complicated but if your OH is up to it I can send you the links and instructions. It's worth the trouble, eventually, lol.:D;)

Jan

You're a star Jan - this apparently makes sense to DH so I'm hopeful that given your help and his efforts I'll be taking my e-guides with me (and perhaps some books too Linda! :eek: :eek:) Thanks again for all your research on my behalf - much appreciated! ;)

Lol, you're scaring me now!!

Calibre is a bit daunting at first but give it a try. I really like the 'get books' tab, you type in the book you're looking for and it goes off and finds all the stores that stock it and the prices as well.:):)

Kruzseeka, get your DH to search for how to remove DRM from Kindle and it should point you to the plug in for Calibre. Read the notes before installing it in Calibre as it's important to do it right.:):)

Jan

Lol, you're scaring me now!!

Calibre is a bit daunting at first but give it a try. I really like the 'get books' tab, you type in the book you're looking for and it goes off and finds all the stores that stock it and the prices as well.:):)

Kruzseeka, get your DH to search for how to remove DRM from Kindle and it should point you to the plug in for Calibre. Read the notes before installing it in Calibre as it's important to do it right.:):)

Jan

Thanks - will do! ;)

Archived