Things to do in Skagway with an infant...

jallen109

Hello,

I am going to Alaska via Disney Cruise Line in August. My husband and I really want to do the railway, but unfortunately it is not offered as an excursion for kids under two. Does anyone have any advice as to what we can do in Skagway with a 6 month old?

Thanks,

Jaime

Hello,

I am going to Alaska via Disney Cruise Line in August. My husband and I really want to do the railway, but unfortunately it is not offered as an excursion for kids under two. Does anyone have any advice as to what we can do in Skagway with a 6 month old?

Thanks,

Jaime

Is the "under 2" restrictions Disney's or the railroad's? Back in 2001, we went on the train and my SIL was able to take her son, who was 9 months old at the time. Of course, rules may have changed since then, but you should check with the railroad to be sure. You can always book directly instead of through Disney.

Then again, you may want to consider whether it really is a good choice for your child. My nephew was very bored on that trip and was very difficult to deal with. He was crawling and "cruising" and wanted to be constantly moving, so an excursion that required sitting for a few hours was not ideal for him. OTOH, my 2 year old daughter was happy and well behaved on the same trip. Only you know your child well enough to know if it would be appropriate.

Is the "under 2" restrictions Disney's or the railroad's? Back in 2001, we went on the train and my SIL was able to take her son, who was 9 months old at the time. Of course, rules may have changed since then, but you should check with the railroad to be sure. You can always book directly instead of through Disney.

Then again, you may want to consider whether it really is a good choice for your child. My nephew was very bored on that trip and was very difficult to deal with. He was crawling and "cruising" and wanted to be constantly moving, so an excursion that required sitting for a few hours was not ideal for him. OTOH, my 2 year old daughter was happy and well behaved on the same trip. Only you know your child well enough to know if it would be appropriate.

Thanks Sherry- my son does not crawl yet. He will be six months and one week by the time we cruise so I don't know what the situation will be by then. I had not thought of the possibility of him crawling. We are going to contact the railroad direct. In the event we are not allowed to take him, other suggestions for that port would be much appreciated. :)

A popular choice is to rent a car and drive to the Yukon. Might be the best thing with a toddler; you can stop whenever you need to and if he's fussy others won't be impacted.

Be sure to request a car seat when you make your reservation and bring passports.

Google skagway visitor information, or any town's visitor information to learn about sights and activities.

A popular choice is to rent a car and drive to the Yukon. Might be the best thing with a toddler; you can stop whenever you need to and if he's fussy others won't be impacted.

Be sure to request a car seat when you make your reservation and bring passports.

Google skagway visitor information, or any town's visitor information to learn about sights and activities.

I agree. This is very good advice. When we picked up our rental car from Avis in Skagway, the family in front of us was collecting their car with a carseat they had reserved. I know that at that age, my little ones often slept in the carseat which would likely be more comfortable for both of you than trying to balance a baby on your lap in a crowded train car. Then you can enjoy the scenery from your vehicle and your little one will be happy and well rested when you make stops along the way.

I agree. This is very good advice. When we picked up our rental car from Avis in Skagway, the family in front of us was collecting their car with a carseat they had reserved. I know that at that age, my little ones often slept in the carseat which would likely be more comfortable for both of you than trying to balance a baby on your lap in a crowded train car. Then you can enjoy the scenery from your vehicle and your little one will be happy and well rested when you make stops along the way.

Aha- also good advice. I didn't realize that you could request a car seat from the rentals. I thought you had to bring your own, which we are not. Is Skagway a walkable stop? Could we find things to do in town or is it best to do something scenic?

If you have a long port day there is time to do a drive and do a bit of walking around the town. Skagway is a very walkable little town with some nice museums and shops. If you have a good stroller that you are taking with you it would make it easier to get around.

if you look at the town's web site, there's a map for walking tours. Like any of the ports, get away from the pier and all those jewelry stores. Skagway is very small; has a very interesting history. Be sure to stop at the Goldrush Museum. ( Seattle has one too. Free.) We walked out to the Goldrush Cemetary maybe a mile each way.

if you look at the town's web site, there's a map for walking tours. Like any of the ports, get away from the pier and all those jewelry stores. Skagway is very small; has a very interesting history. Be sure to stop at the Goldrush Museum. ( Seattle has one too. Free.) We walked out to the Goldrush Cemetary maybe a mile each way.

Okay- I checked with Disney and our infant is free, which is why we can't select him when booking the excursion. We are in Skagway for 12 hours so we are going to do the railway in the morning (8am - ick!) and explore Skagway by foot in the afternoon. We are expecting our infant to sleep through the whole train ride since we are New Yorkers and this is a 4 hour time difference. Can't wait! If anyone else has anymore must sees in Skagway- please feel free to post. We have excursions booked in Juneau and Kietchean (spelling?) already.

Archived