Getting around NOLA convention center to port

mitsugirly

We are thinking about staying right across the street from the convention center, which of course happens to be right in front of the port. (NOLA)

I know people have said don't bother walking while others have said they do walk.

I'm looking on google maps and see plenty of sidewalk to walk on but of course the convention center is right there in front of the port.

Do people walk around the convention center or is there a walkway somewhere in the convention center that takes you right to the port without walking around the building?

You can't walk through it, but walking around it is possible because the terminal is very near the northern end of the Convention Center (which is huge).

Find Julia Street on your map. On the other side of Convention Center Boulevard is a covered walkway leading to the Riverwalk. Just before you get to the escalator leading up to Riverwalk, you will cross the railroad tracks and see a roadway going off the the right. Follow that roadway and it will lead to the terminal, about two blocks away.

The reason I mentioned something about walking through the Convention Center is because I had read this once before (just found it again when I did a search):

The Wyndam Riverfront. Walk out the door, turn right to the corner, cross the street, up the covered walkway of the Riverfront Mall, enter the Mall, exit the back, turn right and walk behind the Convention Center, you are there! No taxi needed; we did it with three roller bags. Five minute walk.

I guess I thought they were talking about the Convention Center and not the mall.

Is this easy to do?

Has anyone every stayed at the Wyndham and had a good experience. It looks like it's VERY convenient, but I'm reading terrible reviews on TA about it recently (OLD hotel needing updated, bad staff and lower end hotel with higher end pricing).

My choices that I have been looking at are:

Spring Hill Suites

Wyndham Riverfront

Hilton Riverfront (although I realize Hilton would probably be a cab ride).

Anyone with experiences and suggestions for these?

Whichever route you choose (and you have been given two) I would suggest you walk it ahead of time without luggage to decide if you want to attempt it on fully loaded cruise day. You may decide that a cab is relatively cheap.

Whichever route you choose (and you have been given two) I would suggest you walk it ahead of time without luggage to decide if you want to attempt it on fully loaded cruise day. You may decide that a cab is relatively cheap.

I was planning on doing just that (walking it ahead of time). However, I'm not sure how much daylight we'll have left by the time we arrive. We are coming in by plane later in the afternoon. Hopefully we'll get a chance to try it.

I wouldn't walk it, especially with a child. Besides not being pedestrian friendly, traffic is horrific on cruise day. Two ships both loading and unloading. Some have mentioned that after lugging their baggage through the mall, they found the doors locked and had to backtrack. The $ for a cab from this area to terminal is minimal compared to the hassle of traffic/heat/rain/cold. Some do it, it's up to you. Good luck.

I wouldn't walk it, especially with a child. Besides not being pedestrian friendly, traffic is horrific on cruise day. Two ships both loading and unloading. Some have mentioned that after lugging their baggage through the mall, they found the doors locked and had to backtrack. The $ for a cab from this area to terminal is minimal compared to the hassle of traffic/heat/rain/cold. Some do it, it's up to you. Good luck.

Oh gosh, that would be terrible to get to the doors and find them locked. :eek:

There was construction going on near the terminal for several months, and during that time the doors were locked. Construction has been finished for several weeks, and the doors are now open.

Thanks. Good to know.

Archived