King Crab, besides Tracy's

kayrob

Just found out (thanks to another poster) that Tracy's closes at 8:00 p.m., which doesn't work with our excursion schedule as we'll just be getting back at that time. Any other suggestions? How are the crab legs at Twisted Fish? Our cruise also stops in Skagway - what's better, Twisted Fish or Skagway Fish Co.?

I don't have an opinion since we haven't eaten at any of those restaurants, but I was wondering the same thing since we leave tomorrow for AK. I found a lot of helpful info on Trip Advisor. Do a search of each one or search by city and read the reviews etc.

Alaska king crab has a very short harvesting season so as likely as not it going to be eating a frozen item and it really shouldn't matter where you have it. Having been to both restaurants I can say that the Twisted Fish is a little more urban where the SFC is a little more rustic...both do a good job. I am not a huge fan of king crab finding it very salty and if I have a choice between king crab and dungness crab (which is likely fresh) I'll order the dungeness every time.

Just found out (thanks to another poster) that Tracy's closes at 8:00 p.m., which doesn't work with our excursion schedule as we'll just be getting back at that time. Any other suggestions? How are the crab legs at Twisted Fish? Our cruise also stops in Skagway - what's better, Twisted Fish or Skagway Fish Co.?

I am a frequent patron of both and both restaurants are excellent choices for the most part. I have not eaten king crab at either, so I can not comment specifically on king crab. If I had to choose between the two, I would prefer to eat at the Skagway Fish Co but that is because I like the atmosphere there a little more.

One option to explore in Juneau is Taku Smokery, which is in the same building as the Twisted Fish. I am unsure of their hours to be honest, but I did notice they do sell king crab in their "deli" area. The price did seem a bit spendy (I think it was $40 a pound, but I am not positive). I have not tried their king crab. I do not know the quality (though it looked good), it might be frozen solid when you buy it, and it will be no different than what you get at the grocery store. I am just listing it as an option (not saying it is a good one). If you are running short on time, you probably could buy it there and then bring it on the boat to eat (though I'd make sure you have a crab cracker/but cracker and a knife or a pair of scissors. King crab spines can be quite sharp and their legs can be hard to break open by hand)

"I do not know the quality (though it looked good), it might be frozen solid when you buy it, and it will be no different than what you get at the grocery store. I am just listing it as an option (not saying it is a good one). If you are running short on time, you probably could buy it there and then bring it on the boat to eat (though I'd make sure you have a crab cracker/but cracker and a knife or a pair of scissors. King crab spines can be quite sharp and their legs can be hard to break open by hand)"

Are you saying King Crab you buy frozen in the grocery store does not require cooking? Or is what you mentioned as available frozen in the deli has been cooked? It may be a dumb question, but we don't have King Crab readily available in Texas and I've never ventured to get it since I don't really know how to prepare it properly - and it's too expensive to ruin it with bad prep.

I've had snow crab cocktail once (at a fancy restaurant) and it was to die for....is that going to be frozen if I get it at Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau in late August? Sounds like the locals go for dungeness crab so may try that instead of King Crab and get some snow crab cocktail...does that sound good to those who about crab?

"I do not know the quality (though it looked good), it might be frozen solid when you buy it, and it will be no different than what you get at the grocery store. I am just listing it as an option (not saying it is a good one). If you are running short on time, you probably could buy it there and then bring it on the boat to eat (though I'd make sure you have a crab cracker/but cracker and a knife or a pair of scissors. King crab spines can be quite sharp and their legs can be hard to break open by hand)"

Are you saying King Crab you buy frozen in the grocery store does not require cooking? Or is what you mentioned as available frozen in the deli has been cooked? It may be a dumb question, but we don't have King Crab readily available in Texas and I've never ventured to get it since I don't really know how to prepare it properly - and it's too expensive to ruin it with bad prep.

I've had snow crab cocktail once (at a fancy restaurant) and it was to die for....is that going to be frozen if I get it at Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau in late August? Sounds like the locals go for dungeness crab so may try that instead of King Crab and get some snow crab cocktail...does that sound good to those who about crab?

Virtually all the King crab you'll buy at a restaurant (in Alaska, Texas, or Tokyo) has been harvested in the Bering Sea, or possibly near Kodiak in the North Pacific, in the winter, cooked and frozen, either in the shell or out. (Nobody sells frozen uncooked crab - doesn't work that way.)

There is a commercial Dungeness crab fishery in parts of SE Alaska and coastal BC that coincides with the cruise/tourism season, so there's a better chance of getting fresh (cooked) Dungeness crab then in those areas. Buy it in Anchorage and 99% chance it's previously frozen product.

Snow crab is also harvested in the winter-spring in the Bering Sea, so same story - you won't get fresh product pretty much anywhere.

[quote name=infojunkie;34640192

Are you saying King Crab you buy frozen in the grocery store does not require cooking? Or is what you mentioned as available frozen in the deli has been cooked? It may be a dumb question' date=' but we don't have King Crab readily available in Texas and I've never ventured to get it since I don't really know how to prepare it properly - and it's too expensive to ruin it with bad prep.[/i][/color]

Tracy's Crab Shack is a "restaurant" and what you get there will be cooked. My Dad and I split a 3 pound bucket there a couple of times during my trip this summer. I have to admit that was the first time I was there (thanks Cruise Critic for the tip). Despite being around $110 per bucket, the crab was hot and I thought it was of good quality.

When I mention frozen...pretty much all king crab is frozen at some point. Typically when you buy crab from a grocery store or a deli, it is usually cooked (I do not recall seeing it otherwise from a store). Some places sell it thawed, but most places sell it frozen solid and it requires thawing, either in the fridge or over heat (steaming or boiling water is what I use)

The color of an uncooked king crab will vary a bit depending on the species, an uncooked king crab will have a dark coloring to it, kind of like a dirty purple color or a dark color with a tinge of red in it. When cooked, king crab will have a bright red color and off white color to it. The upper part of the leg shell will be red and the lower will be a kind of dirty white color.

Many places where I have bought king crab in the lower 48 states will have the crab pre-cooked and then they freeze it for shipping and sale (I am not intimately familiar with the process of crab from boat to grocer, but I believe the processing plants cook and clean the crab, then freeze it). I've gotten crab from a deli or grocery store that ranges from excellent to stuff that was terribly cooked and I would be hesitant to give to a starving person.

But what you get from Tracy's Crab Shack will be most definitely cooked and ready to eat. I only tried the crab leg bucket so far and I thought it was very good! If you buy it from a store, just remember that cooked king crab will usually have a bright color to it. Uncooked typically has a dull, dirty appearance to it.

Google images of a live king crab and compare it to an image for king crab legs and you'll see what I mean.

In terms of Dungeness vs. King crab....I fish Dungies while I am in town and I tend to like the flavor of Dungeness more than king crab personally. That is just personal preference. However, Dungeness are quite a bit more work to get the meat out. Dungies are easier to fish IMHO. The pots don't need to be set as deep so that also is a factor in my choice as well :)

Just is case this sounds confusing, Tracy's is just heating up the king crab that anyone could buy at the store. Basically, with eating it in a restaurant, you're looking for getting the most meat for the money, and/or atmosphere.

When I was at Tracy's once, I thought I saw a sign claiming their crabs came off the Deadliest Catch vessels. :rolleyes: Uh...Sure.

Just is case this sounds confusing, Tracy's is just heating up the king crab that anyone could buy at the store. Basically, with eating it in a restaurant, you're looking for getting the most meat for the money, and/or atmosphere.

When I was at Tracy's once, I thought I saw a sign claiming their crabs came off the Deadliest Catch vessels. :rolleyes: Uh...Sure.

Tracy's says it's all Alaska product, but if they bought it at Costco, it could very easily be Russian.

We had found on line that Tracey's would close before we got back from our excursion. So we crammed it in before we left. SOOOOOO yummy! But we didn't really sit back and enjoy it. We then heard that they would be open until 10, because the ships didn't leave until midnight. We did miss dinner on the ship, but had some great beer, burgers and Halibut at the Hanger!

We ate at Tracy's last week.

While I was at the visitor center, chatting with the very kind lady there, I asked where she goes for crab. She laughed and told me that when her kids come home to visit from the lower 48 they all want to go to Tracy's for crab even though it is a tourist place. I can understand that. We still go to Scoma's out on Fisherman's Wharf at home.

FWIW: She said that Tracy's husband is a crabber and he often packs and ships straight to the shack and that she get deliveries by air from him often. She also said he had been filmed on the reality show, although did not say he had been featured so maybe they are just in one of the episodes. Haven't seen it so I can't say. Crab is seasonal so it isn't all fresh, but that's the story she gave me ; -)

We went, stood in line, ordered and sat. Jeff, who was super, got us drinks and brought us the delicious. He delivered the king crab legs shortly thereafter and we had a great time gorging on the sweet flesh.

Being from San Francisco we are very crabby people and in general I prefer dungeness to other varieties for flavour and texture. But being in Alaska we figured we had to have the King, which I hadn't had for years.

It was sweet and tender and we really enjoyed it, but it was not, for us, better than dungeness. Snow crab, while sweet has far to little crab flavour to suit us. And in San Francisco blue crab is just another word for "bait" ; -)

So I would say that Tracy's is a good option for fun casual quick fare near the ships. If you don't get crab often, have the dungeness; for the price it's just the best tasting and the best portion size.

If you are really wanting the king go for it, you will pay a premium but it is tasty.

The setting is protected outdoors with heaters so we were comfortable on an overcast day. You would need to gauge the weather and decide if you would be happy in a marquee tent.

Archived