Best company for car rental in Mykonos ?

csaeroach

We are on the Crown Princess in Sept and was planning on going to Delos Island but have a change in plans as we are not huge history buffs and doing tours in every port but Mykonos so looking for something different. Reading on here a lot of people rent cars, quads, and scooters. Which would be the best company to rent from, and what would be the best places to visit? Is there much to see and do in Mykonos if we decide to go with a car rental? Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
We are on the Crown Princess in Sept and was planning on going to Delos Island but have a change in plans as we are not huge history buffs and doing tours in every port but Mykonos so looking for something different. Reading on here a lot of people rent cars, quads, and scooters. Which would be the best company to rent from, and what would be the best places to visit? Is there much to see and do in Mykonos if we decide to go with a car rental? Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Csaeroach- did you ever figure out car rentals on Mykonos? We're headed there in October and had the same idea...thanks, Rusty

Csaeroach- did you ever figure out car rentals on Mykonos? We're headed there in October and had the same idea...thanks, Rusty[/quote

We have rented a car twice in Mykonos. Once in mid May and again in mid Oct 2011 so both times were off season. There is a car rental just as you walk out of the port if your ship docks. The price in Oct was 30 euros. If you have to tender than you will need to walk through town to where the ferries come in. I'm sure there will be a rental place there. It is a fairly small island with narrow windy roads. The biggest things to see are the beaches and scenery. We drove to several beaches and walked around a bit. We then drove to the large parking area near Mykonos Town and explored the town. We had seen the movie Shirley Valentine and we drove to the beach where it was filmed. Try to see that movie if you can.

• 1 month later...
Csaeroach- did you ever figure out car rentals on Mykonos? We're headed there in October and had the same idea...thanks, Rusty[/quote

We have rented a car twice in Mykonos. Once in mid May and again in mid Oct 2011 so both times were off season. There is a car rental just as you walk out of the port if your ship docks. The price in Oct was 30 euros. If you have to tender than you will need to walk through town to where the ferries come in. I'm sure there will be a rental place there. It is a fairly small island with narrow windy roads. The biggest things to see are the beaches and scenery. We drove to several beaches and walked around a bit. We then drove to the large parking area near Mykonos Town and explored the town. We had seen the movie Shirley Valentine and we drove to the beach where it was filmed. Try to see that movie if you can.

Hi EileenG

Shirley Valentine would have to be my most favorite movie of all and the reason why I am going to Mykonos next July. My dream is to drive up to the Taverna have lunch and sit to have a glass of wine by the beach just like Shirley used to do lol. Also see the hotel where the movie was filmed. Was it easy to hire a car and what side of the road do they drive on? and would we have to get an international licence. The other option I thought would be just to do a deal with a taxi driver and take us around the island for most of the day.

Hi EileenG

Shirley Valentine would have to be my most favorite movie of all and the reason why I am going to Mykonos next July. My dream is to drive up to the Taverna have lunch and sit to have a glass of wine by the beach just like Shirley used to do lol. Also see the hotel where the movie was filmed. Was it easy to hire a car and what side of the road do they drive on? and would we have to get an international licence. The other option I thought would be just to do a deal with a taxi driver and take us around the island for most of the day.

I love Shirley Valentine also it is such a great movie. In Mykonos they drive on the right side so if you are used to the left you might want to hire a taxi. We have never needed to show a International drivers licence but we did have one. You will be there in high season so I'm not sure how the driving will be. You will will want to bring your swim suit with you.

Yes I had a feeling we will be there when its busy. So maybe we can organise a taxi when we get off the tender. Is that possible to do a deal with a driver for most of the day to take us around and he can wait for us ? I heard you should agree on a price first and dont pay them till the end of the tour back at the dock ? Im presuming because he could take off . Or is there a tour company that could do it ? Not sure whats safer this time of the year?

Archived