Venice - Limited mobility

Page100

We will be in Venice overnight in September on Royal Caribbean. My husband has limited mobility and can not walk for very long unfortunately due to a dystrophy that causes weekness in the legs. We are in our early 60's Nervous about getting around, Please HELP. We are very excited to visit Venice. Also, being in port overnight, any suggestions for how to spend our time? I beleive we arrive at 2pm and stay until 8:30 the next evening. Your thoughts and help are greatly appreciated

For me the highlight of Venice was travelling up and down the Grand Canal to enjoy the wonderful scenery. The more time you spend on the water, the less walking. Perhaps you could take the RCI shuttle from the pier to St Mark's, then transfer to a water bus for a lovely trip up the Canal. Another trip could be a transfer to Murano or Burano. Look at buying a pass so that you don't pay 7E for each trip on the water bus. 20E for 24 hs. Or skip the RCI transfer and take the water bus directly from the pier:

http://www.actv.it/en/movinginvenice/waterbusservicestimetable

Or take the alilaguna for one it's routes that leave directly from the pier to Murano. http://www.alilaguna.com/en/lines/lines-map

Or, I recently read a trip report on Tripadvisor where someone had reserved a wonderful water taxi tour of Venice thru Viator.

There is very little public seating available in Venice. In the squares where locals live you'll often find a few benches under the trees. But for the most part if you want to sit you need to go to a cafe.

Borrow Rick Steve's book on Venice from your library and copy the pages where he provided a 'tour' of the sights and scenery along the Canal. Or download the free audio guide.

Have a wonderful trip!

Archived