Watching for the "little stuff"

Yukon

I kept half an eye on the tour bus people as they came into Carcross today, and was very disappointed to see that not a single person came down to the beach to see one of the most beautiful of natural experiences of our year. The last of the winter's ice washed out of Lake Bennett. While that may not seem like much, it's so beautiful many locals come down to watch it and listen to it. The ice is called "candle ice", and it tinkles like a wind chime as it moves. At 6:00 tonight it looked like http://www.yukonalaska.com/cacross-breakup-1073-450.jpg

The point of this post is to ask you to slow down and watch for the little things that will help you understand why people live in places like this. If you get lucky, you'll be with a guide that will help you do that - apparently none of the drivers today know much about the country :(

Murray

It's always a big deal to me here in Wisconsin when the "ice goes out".

It's the heralding of Spring and a beautiful and brief moment in nature that I always enjoy.

Thanks for reminding us why we are all so attracted to Alaska's beauty.

It's easy to get caught up in the chartered touristy things in our eagerness to experience the uniquness of your state, when in fact everywhere around us, there is the natural unspoiled pristine wonder that is Alaska!

I can't wait! :)

Any chance the "candle ice" will still be around in mid-June? I would love to look and listen.

If you're too late to see it, keep an eye on your TV listings or rent the video "Alone in the Wilderness". This is a wonderful documentry, featuring actual film footage, of a man who decided to try living in the Alaskan wilderness at the age of 51. He hikes in builds a log home and spends the next 30+ years there alone, filming it all. He has excellent footage, with sound, of his favorite sight....."candle ice". A wonderful film to see.

Murray,

I hear you. I get so frustrated with city people that have music blaring from their car or campsite while in Yosemite. You can't hear the animals, the waterfalls, and the wind through the trees with a ghetto blaster screeching at 103 decibels, of course, neither can anyone in the 30 campsites around therm. :eek:

Too many people are in to getting from point A to point B in life that they miss what is between those two points.

Deb

We'll be sure to make a special point to look for the candle ice next week. :)

But I hear you - we camped on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon one year, the first week it was open in May, and were pretty pi**ed at our neighbors for playing the stereo in their truck all night. Hello? Middle of the wilderness? Why did you come here????? People overall are very strange and often stupid.

Murray thanks for this information--- learned something new today from you-- I try not to take nature for granted and would never have know about candle ice-- will have to learn more about it-- just wish I could hear it too

Thank you

April

Archived