Help me pick a cruise! NCL Dawn or RCI Freedom

marisa0324

About us: Couple in our late 30s with 2 children (4yr old DD and 10 month old DS). We live in Tampa - right next to the port and have booked a Family Suite on the Dawn. I am also considering the Freedom of the Seas. I have never been on either of these ships so I am really torn.

The pros of the Dawn are:

*No need to drive or park at the port! This will save us about $200 in gas and parking fees.

*Suite amenities and perks with VIP embarkation and debarkation. This is a great perk when you have a toddler and a baby in a stroller.

*Coffee maker in room

*Concierge service

*Lunch and breakfast at Cagneys which means we can avoid a lot of the buffets and crowds

*Large family suite with a large bathroom and lots and lots of storage

*Almost $1000 less than Freedom of the Seas

Cons are:

*No babysitting service or drop-off service for the baby

*No swim diapers in the pool which means we are bringing along an inflatable pool for the baby

*No real adult time for my husband and I

*Balcony is uncovered

Now for the Freedom:

Pros:

*I think that the overall entertainment seems better

*Babysitting service available

*swim diapers allowed (I think)

*Aft room with large balcony

Cons:

*More expensive (by about $1000+)

*No suite perks/amenities

*Have to drive over 2 hours to get to the port

Any thoughts?

IMHO the pros on the Dawn out weigh the pros for RCI Freedom. Even though baby sitting is nice, how much faith can you put in a stranger...

Please if you choose RCI, do some research before leaving your child with a baby sitter.

While I have only been on 2 NCL and 3 RCI, I would pick the NCL Dawn in a heart beat. First the Suite perks are far Superior to anything RCI offers. While food is always subjective I found NCL's to be far better and several steps up especially if you go to the specialty dining. In the NCL Suites you have Cagney's for breakfast and lunch that sure beats dining in the Wind Jammer or for that matter Blue Lagoon beats anything RCI offers. Why pay extra money to get a mediocre burger in Johnny Rockets when there is Blue Lagoon on NCL.;)

This is a case where more expensice is not really better, RCI is always more expensive but tends to have more Teen attractions. Your children are young and not ready for Rock Climbing.

I would do the dawn for sure. To solve the child care issue can you bring someone one with you (relative) that can babysit in the evenings? Just a suggestion. Also, the dawn has a kiddie pool area on the back of the ship I took my 2 year on the dawn and unfortunately she was not potty trained but went into the kiddie pool. Didnt know I was violating the rules and no-one said anything to me about it.

I would go with a suite on the Dawn. the space will be great for the family. The perks will be helpful.

another thought...for the difference in cruise price and parking you might even be able to bring your own babysitter in an inside cabin (on paper one of the kiddos could be booked babysitter to keep cost down)

I find entertainment - shows and smaller scale - to be better on NCL (and Dawn).

Dawn pool areas seem to be more crowded.

On RCI it is much more difficult to deal with MyTime Dining.

On RCI (Freedom) there is a cool H2O zone.

FreedomH2Ozone.jpg

Although on Dawn there is a nice kids zone

600x400-norwegian-dawn-Kids-Pool.jpg

RCI has minigolf and skating rink with shows.

If you were with teenagers I would probably recommend RCI over NCL. They have the best teens program of the two.

I have not cruised with NCL yet, but have been on the FOS. In your situation, I would pick the Dawn because of your children's ages. I really don't think you will use the perks of FOS right now. There will be plenty of time for that in the future! :)

IMHO the pros on the Dawn out weigh the pros for RCI Freedom. Even though baby sitting is nice, how much faith can you put in a stranger...

Please if you choose RCI, do some research before leaving your child with a baby sitter.

The other nice option in the NCL suite, is that you can have in-suite, full dinning served by your butler after your kids go to bed. You can order from any restaurant. Of course, this only works in the kids go to sleep at an early enough time.

On another note, we use in suite a lot, too, in lieu of getting food from the buffet for our DS. I hate juggling a plate for him, getting him started and then going for my food. In the suite, he can watch a movie, from the DVD available for the suite while he waits for his food to come.

It sounds like most are opting for the Dawn ... and I'm another one ;)

Based on your pros/cons ... and my own personal experiences ... I totally agree with the OPs with regard to price and amenities ... the Dawn wins :)

P.S. I think you'll love the *Suite Life* on the Dawn ... just make sure you look for all the amenities that you're entitled to :p

• 2 months later...

Archived