Admiralty Dream

dfb

We are looking at this small ship for 2013. Our choices are an 8-day Sitka roundtrip or a 13-day Sitka to Ketchikan. Has anyone done both itineraries that can give us some insights to help with a decision? There is the obvious issue of flying into and out of different cities but does this outweigh the extra 5 days and the sights to be seen? We would welcome any thoughts. Thanks in advance. Also, if anyone has any tips about cabin categories/locations to book aboard, we'd welcome that as well. Thanks, Debbie

I noticed no one has responded to your questions. I don't know all of your answers, but I thought I would chime in because we have a cruise booked on this boat for next year as well.

We chose the 8 day for 2 reasons: time off from work and cost. I have not booked Plane tickets yet, but looking at this summer's fares, it is pretty pricey to fly in and out of Sitka. It may not be much more $, and maybe even less to fly into 1 port and out of another. Having an extra 5 days might be nice, but if it were me, I wOuld probably opt for the 8 day, and then have some extra days onland somewhere. Maybe take the ferry to a stop that your cruise didn't go to. Just a thought.

In regards to cabins, when I called Alaskan Dream, the gentleman I talked to was very helpful with cabin descriptions. He advised me that categories B and C are above the engine room and have no windows. Category A is on the upper deck. They are about 95 square feet, have a large window, and they have an outside entrance. AA cabins are actually 1 deck below A, a large window, are a few feet bigger and have interior entrances. There are 2 additional AA cabins on the upper deck next to the owners suite. One has an outside entrance and 1 has interior entrance. They have a slightly different floor plan due to their shape. That's about all I know. I didn't ask about the AAA's or the suites. I do know that all cabins are small and minimal features (like most small ships).

Hope this helps a little. Maybe someone else will post that knows more. I did find a nice article and Photos of the ship on the USA today small ship Alaska article they featured last month. You can google it online and find it if you haven't already.

Thanks, I think we have both found the same information! We have decided on the shorter cruise as well because the longer one is only offered once and we have a conflict. Thanks again.

Debbie

I took the 7 night cruise this past May 2012 and it was great, even though the weather was not the best. the cabins on the upper 2 decks have doors opening to the outside (as mentioned previously, sorry I don't remember the names of the decks). since they open to the outside, you have people walking by the windows and also the view is not unobstructed due to the ship's railings, etc but they are bigger than the cabins on the main deck where the dining room is. the cabins on the main deck are quite a bit warmer since they open to the inside and their windows don't open but their views are unobstructed. these cabins are quite small, as shown on the deck plan. although I liked the size of my cabin on the top deck, I think for the price, cabin warmth, unobstructed view, and the ease of walking right outside the door to lounge and dining, the main floor cabin might be a better value if you don't mind a really small space.

Archived