Yukon

BrianNDeb

Thought y'all might be interested. I spoke with someone at Southeast Tours in Skagway yesterday (5/11/05) regarding our "Yukon Horseback Adventure" on 5/21/05. He told me they have seen bears up there already, I thought they would still be in hibernation.

We are now really looking forward to it.

We are on HAL Volendam 5/18/05 out of Vancouver.

All Alaska cruisers have a great trip 'cause we are.

Brian:) and Debbie:)

This week is the start of 3-4 weeks of prime bear-viewing along the Skagway-Carcross highway. The grass is starting, as are the dandelions (bear gourmet food). Happy Bear-Watching!! :D

Murray

Thanks Murray, we are so excited. This is our first trip to Alaska and were so hoping to catch a glimpse of the wildlife.

We Floridians get plenty of wildlife but you sure get a different sort where you are.

We hope we get a good driver up to the Horse Ranch who will point out all the good spots to look for them.

Tell a couple of Bears to stick around for a while if you would Murray. We'll wave as we go by.

Brian :) and Debbie :)

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether to book the horseback trip through Southeast or to rent a car and book the horsebacking riding directly with Yukon Horseback. When I got prices I was surprised that there was not much of a price difference between the two.:confused:

We did consider driving up ourselves but there are just the two of us, so for the little cost difference we decided to just both sit back and watch on the drive. If there were 4 of us we would have driven.

I printed out the mile by mile guide for interest anyway, I you haven't already done this I would certainly reccomend it.

See link.

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

Don't know when you are going but we will give you our impression when we return.

Have fantabulous trips everyone.

Brian :) and Debbie :)

>>So all I have to do is rent a bear for the weekend, and I can get rid of all the yellow buggers in my front yard?<<

Yup, it's just that simple. Here we don't even have to pay rent, they just come by to help out as the dandelions appear - see how easy we have it with neighbors like that? :D

Murray

Yukon,

I was under the impression that the best bear viewing times were toward the end of summer when the salmon were spawning. I had given up hope that we were going to see any bears on this trip and figured that we would have to appease ourselves with the eagles and whale watching.

So if I understand you correctly the bears are highly visible in your area at this time of the year.

deb

The timing for the best bear viewing is dramatically different between the coast (where the salmon are what brings the bears in July-September, depending on the specific run) and this part of the interior, where the bears are most visible right now, frresh from hibernation.

Murray

Archived