How much Film do you usually bring??

MCManders99

I am leaving for YVR on May 22 to board the Sun Princess May 23 NB to Whittier. Spending 2 days in Anchorage after. I bought about 24 rolls of 24 exposure film. All 400 speed except for 5 which is 800 speed. Do you think this is enough? THis is our first cruise ever, and our honeymoon. We are also going to Vegas on our way back so I need to save some rolls for there. Should I buy more????

I am leaving for YVR on May 22 to board the Sun Princess May 23 NB to Whittier. Spending 2 days in Anchorage after. I bought about 24 rolls of 24 exposure film. All 400 speed except for 5 which is 800 speed. Do you think this is enough? THis is our first cruise ever, and our honeymoon. We are also going to Vegas on our way back so I need to save some rolls for there. Should I buy more????

So you have enough for about 575 exposures---that's a lot of pictures. I can't tell you if its enough, but I can tell you that I took a 4 day pre cruise tour, a 7-day Alaska cruise, and a two day post cruise stop in Vancouver and didn't take that many pictures. I was closer to 250 pictures. But that was me---I think some folks on thes boards are really into photography, and take as many as you have film for, and even more. I would note, that you are taking a lot of film---so you might be tempted to pack some of it in your checked luggage. I have never tested this myself, but am told that the x-ray machines used to "review" checked bags are "strong" enough to ruin film--so be careful. I have taken film in a carry on, and had it run thru the x-ray machines at Security, and have never had a problem, though I understand there is eveidnece that those machines can degrade film quality as well. I guess you could avoid this by buying film as you go---undoubtedly will cost more, but might be worth it if you are concerned about the film be degraded.

I think it all really depends on how into photography you are.

For example, my last cruise to Canada/New England, I ended up using 5 rolls of 36 exposure film, on top of the 330+ digital camera photos i took and 1 waterproof disposable camera, so thats what around 540 pictures. and that was a 1 week cruise. and i came home thinking "oh i didn't end up getting a picture of this or that"

On my recent trip to China for 10 days, I ended up taking 640 digital pictures, 3 rolls of flim and about 20 movie clips on my digital camera. thats almost 750 pictures total.

So since i already know how wonderful Alaska is and how picturesque, i went and bought more memory for my digital camera as well as a new and better digital camera. so between my two cameras i now have room for 1000+ pictures and i am taking a black and white one time use disposable camera as well as my regular camera and 5-7 rolls of film.

I know most people aren't as crazy as I am with photos, but some people want to make sure not to miss a thing. I met a lady when I was developing my china digital pictures that also happened to just come back from China and she told me she ended up taking close to 1300 pictures on her trip to China. I thought I took alot at 640+ pictures. She took double what I did.

You can also buy more at Walmarts, Costco's or other stores if you need more. Just remember to carry all of your film in your carryon, not your checked luggage. Ask for hand check with film out of boxes in clear ziplock to speed up process. Your own film needs will depend on how much of trip is honeymoon and how much is vacation!!! I took 900 photos plus 400 digital in two weeks. 36 exposure rolls take up less room.

Has anyone ever had a problem with the X-ray equipment damaging or degrading their digital memory cards? I had not thought of that till someone else asked the question once, and I never saw a definitive answer. Does anyone know or have anything to share?

Thanks.

Here's a link to an article that covers the topic of x-rays and digital film very well.

http://www.pcphotomag.com/content/articles/helpline/2005/may.html

The bottom line is no, x-rays don't damage memory cards. I've been going through the machines for years without a problem. The machines that x-ray carry on bags are OK too. I wouldn't leave any cards in checked bags though.

Film?

What's Film?

Time to go digital. Put your film camera on ebay and move on to digital. It makes everything so much easier in my opinion.

As of right now I do not own one. I heard that someone is giving me one for a wedding present, but I will not have a chance to open them till after we back. I borrow my parents for ebay right now, but they need theirs while we are gone and there memory card only holds like thirty some pics, it came with the camera so it is not very big.

I know this is not going to be a popular post but the answer to your delimina is ; Buy a digital at a store with a good return policy.

Some stores have a good return policy and you could go buy a digital keep the reciete and return it after the cruise. Take enough memory for several thousand pictures.

On your return you can open your gifts and see if you prefer the one you got yourself or the gift one. Either way one can be returned and your trip fully captured in images for your pleasure.

My first trip to Alaska I took over 3,000 pictures. Once freed from the thought of how much it cost to process film you can take pictures of everything you see if you like with digital. Oh don't forget to burn the pictures from the digital to cd before you return it.

I've always checked my film, both exposed and unexposed, inside my luggage. I've never had a problem.

I'll take all my cameras in a carry on. I've never had a problem with the carry on scanners with either my film or digital cards.

I rotate the cameras I use. There's nothing like the security of real film. And I sort of like the surprise of what I see when I get them developed. But then, I always refused an ultrasound while pregnant - I preferred the surprise of what I got when they came out, too. :)

Digital cameras are really fun because you can play with your pictures easily.

I don't recommend taking a camera back after you use it. First of all, it's just not nice. And are they really going to let you take back the memory card after it's removed from the package? You'll need more memory than will come with any digital camera.

Just use your film camera and take plenty of extra film as it sounds like you are doing. You can always use it later. And wait for the surprise of your digital camera gift. If it isn't exactly the type you think you want, you can always trade it in or upgrade it without even opening it.

Keep your film camera. There is a place for both types of cameras in your life.

Manders,

How much film do you usually use on a vacation? I go crazy when I take pictures. Sometimes I will take 3 or 4 pictures of the same thing from different angles or lighting so I average 15 - 20 rolls of film on a week long vacation. I'm going to be in Alaska for 2 weeks next summer and will probably bring around 20 rolls with me and buy more as needed.

Went to Ireland in December 04. Took 5mp Kodak Digital Camera with extra battery and a 512mb card. . At best quality 5mp took 325 pictures on 9 day trip. Bought extra card for this trip and will have 648 capacity. May only have 1/3 developed at Sams Club for 17 cents each but it is so much easier than the old way/for me that is. :)

Prior to converting to digital about 14 month ago I always judged film quantities for a trip based on pro principles. Take twice as much as you think you'll need and you may have almost enough. Two things to consider here. Film ALWAYS costs more when you reach your vacation destination. Second, any film you have left over you can always put in a ziplock bag in the fridge or freezer for use at a later time.

It's almost inconceivable to me that people would think of taking only as much film or memory cards at they think they'll need. Film is the cheapest thing you'll be buying for this cruise so why would you consider even for a heartbeat missing the photograph of a lifetime because you didn't bring enough film? I've always been accused of shooting TOO much and probably rightly so. But I'll never miss a photograph because I ran out of memory card space or because I'm out of film.

Make your memories of this trip be the photos you got, not the ones you missed.

Thanks Tee Wrecks. I know I'll take alot of pictures.

We usually don't do many vacations just a yearly camping trip which I don't take much pics cuz drunk friend pics get old after a couple years. But I know I'll be snapping away in Alaska. Maybe if there is a good before I leave I'll pick up more or I'll just have to see on the way.

Thanks everyone for your posts. Being my first cruise I get nervous and excited and I think I will forget something.

I sent my nice Canon AE-1 to the Smithsonian Museum, no more rolls for me, One tiny chip 1inch by 1inch hold 2000 pictures, but the most I shot was 200 pictures per day, My finger started to hurt LOL.

To McManders99: Maybe its time to update to a Digital, it will save you lots of cash, and they are alot Lighter. Right now youre in 200.00 for Film and about 150.00 on Development of those pictures, and who knows if they will come out, and for that price already you can buy one, A Digital Camera will show you the picture for 3 seconds to ensure you got it, if its Blurred you can shoot again then delete the Blurred one later.

A good website to checkout whats out there is dpreview.com then you can go to Bestbuy or somewhere and pick one up. Good Luck.

Email me at wennfred@cox.net if you have any questions, you got 1 week.

Archived