Wondering about the cost of renting

RLM77

I have MS and am currently experiencing increasing mobility issues and appear to be able to walk reasonably well for only a very short period and time and then run down and stop just like a wind-up toy.

DH and I are booked on a Radisson cruise to Alaska in June (our first) and I am worried about my mobility on the excursions. I have to face up to the reality of what I can and can't do,,,although denial is a wonderful thing. :rolleyes:

How much, generally do the rental wheelchairs cost? The websites give you every other type of info but that!!! After the cost of the cruise the $$$ are a consideration. :eek:

Thanks

I suspect that they do not publish prices on their websites because the price will vary based on what you need and possibly location.

Don't be shy. Give them a call and ask. It would be a shame to ruin your vacation because you are too tired to participate.

Have you considered a scooter which you could use aboard ship also? We rented a scooter for my brother-in-law last year and found them very easy to work with.

Since you said you have "increasing mobility" issues, I' like to offer this suggestion (which may help you cut down on the cost too, although it's not as convenient as having a wc delivered to the ship).

Why don't you ask your doc to write out a prescription for a rental wc, then rent one at home (for use all the time, not just on the ship) and hopefully have your insurance pick up the rental cost (or a good part of it). Actually my suggestion would be for you to purchase a mobility device (scooter or wc) but you really don't have enough time to that (seating evals and insurance approval take time) and you don't want to be rushed into a decision.

Alternatively you can contact med supply places at your port and see what rates they will give you, see if they will deliver to the ship and see if that's OK with the cruise line (they all have preferred suppliers these days because of security issues).

Again, it takes time on your part, but it will be cheaper than either scoot around or care vacations (who merely act as agents, probably with same local rental places you will find on your own).

I've found that care vacations is cheaper than scoot around and scoot around has some pretty outrageous "late" booking fees (and they consider late a week prior to the cruise).

Either way, I wouldn't go without a wc. I know you are on a tight budget, but if you don't rent a wc, you will be just wasting that hard earned money you paid for the cruise, because fatigue or pain (or both) will prevent you from fully enjoying it.

Candy

I would second purchasing something that you can take with you, get to know how to use safely now, use in the airport going to your cruise and coming home, and something that is in good condition. You can purchase used if you have limited funds, but with a prescription your insurance (even Medicare) will cover a manual chair, and you can get a scooter for less than $1000 lightly used (many elderly people get them then die soon after...check your local classifieds). A good source of used equipment if you know exactly what you want is eBay. Also check out http://www.disableddealer.com

If your MS is progressing like this, you will need a chair or scooter eventually. I know it is a hard nut to swallow, but you will be amazed at how it can actually improve the quality of your life. You won't avoid going place that require a lot of walking or standing, and you won't be so tired all the time. This certainly was my mother's experience when she was still walking but wanted to still travel as well.

Archived