Question on Seasick pills

foilman2002

I plan to use the patch and will post a review when I get back. After reading some of the posts I was afraid.

I talked to my dr yesterday to see if there was something I could do besides the patch. He told me since I get sick just watching rides, or riding in the backseat of the car, I should wear the patch. He told me if its going to blur my vision or other side affects, it generally happens in the 1st few hours. He said to take off the patch and wash that area and it should clear up within a few hours.

I guess we will see. I am having a hard time getting excited about my trip because of how easy I get sick. I am looking forward to EVERYTHING, but worry about the sickness part of it

I have used the patch many times. The biggest draw-back to me is that within a few hours I am sooooooooooooo thirsty and it takes a day or so after removing the patch to get over that. On a small gambling ship I didn't use anything and got quite seasick. The waitress brought me ginger ale with ginger sprinkled on top of it. She said to just sip it and I did and it did make me feel better. I have also used meclazine and it works for me IF the seas aren't really rough. I am taking the patch, meclizine and ginger with me on my next cruise. Will be interesting to see what works.

Katie

I'm usually completely immune to the motion, but on our last trip had one pretty rockin day at sea!

We were on the NCL Sun, and reception provided two meclizine pills - one for starters, and another to take in 8 hours if it didn't get better. I only needed the one pill and it did the trick. It seems to numb your senses, drowses you a bit, but lets you get some sleep.

It's 3 days after-cruise and am still working on getting the land legs back!

:cool: Starbuck

My doctor refused to provide me with a prescription for the patch because I take medications (for hypertension) that would be adversely affected by the patch. It is, after all, potent medicine.

Instead, I purchased the Relief Band for about $90 in the Internet, and it worked perfectly. It is battery-powered with five settings, and must be positioned at precisely the right spot on the inside of the wrist to be effective. It produces a tingling sensation that varies in intensity according to the setting selected.

I understand it was originally developed for "morning sickness" and for patients suffering from the effects of chemotherapy -- but it also works just as effectively to block nausea caused by motion sickness. Whereas pills are supposed to be taken before the onset of motion sickness to be fully effective, the Relief Band can be used after symptoms of nausea have started, and will provide relief within 5-10 minutes. Since it is non-chemical, there are no side-effects (other than the tingling fingers).

My friend used the patch on our cruise (4/24). The seas weren't too bad but she felt really sick. She finally ripped the patch off on day 4 and felt much better. The rest of us (12 in all) used the sea bands as needed and/or bonine tablets. We were all fine but the bonine isn't suppose to make you tired. It did. All in all, I rather be tired than feel sick. But next time, based on what I've read here, I would try the Dramamine non drowsy formula. Also, my first cruise to Bermuda was very rough. People were dropping like flys. Reception ran out of seasickness medication. Better to bring it with you, just in case.

Archived