Gros Morne Park Western Brook Pond

We are going to Corner Brook on a cruise in Oct of this year and by that point the boat tours at Western Brook Pond are done for the season. I have seen photos of how beautiful it is from a boat as well as from the look out dock When you walk in on the trail. Is there any point in going there if we cant go on the tour to see the fjords? Is there another area within 2 hours or so from Cornwr Brook that we should be sure to see? A hike in is fine, but we only have about 6 1/2 hours total for the tour. I know that the tablelands are very unique but we thought that we would save them for another time.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, there is a nice view of the Western Brook Pond from the shore, but I really don't see the point of going all that way when your time is limited and there is no boat tour available--it's only by boat that you can get to see the real beauty of the Pond (or on the Long Range Traverse, a multi-day wilderness hike).

If you plan to come back, do the Western Brook Pond tour then, and this time try the Tablelands trail, or perhaps the Lookout Trail from the Interpretation Centre. You could also visit Woody Point and Trout River, although how much might be open in October is questionable.

With the time you have available coming from Corner Brook, you should concentrate on the southern part of the park and save the northern part for your next visit.

Yes, there is a nice view of the Western Brook Pond from the shore, but I really don't see the point of going all that way when your time is limited and there is no boat tour available--it's only by boat that you can get to see the real beauty of the Pond (or on the Long Range Traverse, a multi-day wilderness hike).

If you plan to come back, do the Western Brook Pond tour then, and this time try the Tablelands trail, or perhaps the Lookout Trail from the Interpretation Centre. You could also visit Woody Point and Trout River, although how much might be open in October is questionable.

With the time you have available coming from Corner Brook, you should concentrate on the southern part of the park and save the northern part for your next visit.

I totally agree that with the time you have the southern part of the park is your best bet. Trout River is beautiful and the tablelands are worth seeing. If you have a bit of extra time take the road down to Lomond. It is not a long drive but the view over the water to the mountains has always been spectacular. One of my favourite places on earth. If you can take a picnic there are tables at Lomond and might be a nice spot for lunch. Dress in layers, it could be quite cold in the mountains.

Margaret

Missmolly, if we drove up the road towards western brook pond, are there villages and views worth seeing?

You will go past the mountains and enjoy some beautiful scenery all along the way. I've been talked out of my dream on holidays before so if you want to go to WBP, go ahead. You will not have much time to spare though so get going as soon as you dock. The view of the fjords across the flat land is great. Last year when we went by early in the day the mists were still lifting and the view was breathtaking...almost spiritual. Go ahead and enjoy. If Java Jack's is still open, email ahead and they can have a take out lunch made for you. They are in Rocky Harbour and a quality that would surprise you in such a little town. You can google them.

If on the other hand you want to get your boots to the ground and walk, stick with the south side of Bonne Bay. Either side of the bay is wonderful None of the pictures do the place justice.

You can email the Parks Canada staff at the centre in Woody Point and they will answer all your questions as well. I'll do my best. We do love Gros Morne and try to get there every 2 or 3 years.

Hope that helps.

Molly

Molly, I really appreciate your info - if you are willing, here's my email - I have a ton of questions based on your last post, and am wondering if I could "bother you" by email?

If that's okay with you, my email is sam dot watt at hotmail dot com

Thanks in advance.

Marion

Archived