packing for 4 day land tour....ick

oratheeexplorer

I know it doen't seem like this thread could be helpful but I am picking up some ideas. I had already thought of zipoffs and layers, but it is nice to know I am on the right track. Note to self: add rain stuff.

My only issue is what size of bag am I going to pack into for the 6 day land part. I am thinking the extendable carry one roller will do nicely and send my 26" to the ship. Presuming any shopping will be done on the sea part of the tour. Dh will have the same and our small back packs.

Hope you had a great time on your cruise.

K

I think people get carried away with packing and the layering concept. For instance if you're wearing a Tshirt, fleece and a rain jacket, why can't you re-wear the fleece? As long as you can change the layer that's next to your skin, you can re-wear fleeces and hoodies. No need to pack a dozen of them. Bring 1 of each. And realistically, who the heck notices what you're wearing anyway? Do you think anyone will be saying " didn't she wear that blue fleece on Tuesday?" Be clean warm dry and comfortable. My last trip was 2 weeks in an RV; I had a carryon suitcase and a daypack. One rainy evening we did laundry for 2 hrs. No loss. I spent a month on vacation 2 yrs ago and took a 26" case and my daypack. Excess luggage costs .. not just the airline fees, but it becomes something to worry about when you need public transportation or getting from the airport to the taxi or train. Too many problems. Pack light. Enjoy Alaska !

I think people get carried away with packing and the layering concept. For instance if you're wearing a Tshirt, fleece and a rain jacket, why can't you re-wear the fleece? As long as you can change the layer that's next to your skin, you can re-wear fleeces and hoodies. No need to pack a dozen of them. Bring 1 of each. And realistically, who the heck notices what you're wearing anyway? Do you think anyone will be saying " didn't she wear that blue fleece on Tuesday?" Be clean warm dry and comfortable. My last trip was 2 weeks in an RV; I had a carryon suitcase and a daypack. One rainy evening we did laundry for 2 hrs. No loss. I spent a month on vacation 2 yrs ago and took a 26" case and my daypack. Excess luggage costs .. not just the airline fees, but it becomes something to worry about when you need public transportation or getting from the airport to the taxi or train. Too many problems. Pack light. Enjoy Alaska !

We are very glad we took all of our layers......as it was in the 50s and rain last week every day and we wore all of them! I even had cuddle duds on under my jeans a few days! Would love to go back and see Alaska with some blue sky and sunshine.......:)

Archived