Disney cruise lame for 18 yr old?

Hi, I have been on a Disney cruise before when I was 16. I actually really enjoyed it, but I didn't participate in the teen activities, as they were sort of contrived and juvenile - most of the kids in "The Stack" were under 15.

Anyway, my family has decided to take another cruise next summer as my senior trip after I graduate in a year. We have booked a 7-day Disney cruise to the Western Caribbean. I am also bringing at least one friend, maybe two, so that will make it more fun.

I am excited and I am not trying to be negative, but I am beginning to have second thoughts about whether Disney is the right cruise. I loved Disney, but my friend(s) and I will be 18 and I am worried we will be bored. It seems like only married couples go on Disney cruises, and there is a shortage of single 18-25 year olds. Is this true? I didn't pay much attention to what they had for adults last time because I couldn't participate in anything.

I have heard the clubs are lame, but slightly better on Magic than Wonder, and I will be on the Magic. I'm not a big partier, but I don't want to be surrounded by older people all the time, which is why I'm beginning to think Carnival might have been a better choice, though I heard it is overall a lower quality cruise. Is there a lot to do for young adults on the Magic? I would particularly love to hear from someone who has been on the cruise and is in their late teens, early twenties, but all comments and advice are appreciated!! I really just want the best for my whole family, but I want to have fun myself too.

Note: My parents have already told me that I can explore the ports of call on my own, and we are going to Mexico, so that is something really fun I'm looking forward to. My friend(s) and I are also going to eat at Palo one night, and get cabana massages at Castaway Cay. So there's definitely great stuff for me to be excited about. I am just wondering about how many people my age there will be, and if there will be fun stuff for us to do. Thanks in advance!!

When are you cruising? We're booked on the August 19th, 2006 cruise, and my older son will be 18. We cruised last summer when he was 16 and basically enjoyed it. My younger son who was 13 at the time really didn't like the Stack at all because it was much older group that week, most of the kids being 15-17.

Anyway, we asked both boys if they wanted to cruise on Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas instead of the Magic and they BOTH said they'd rather stay with the Magic.

I really don't know what they have for the 18-25 year old age group. I know you'll be able to go to see all of the entertainment in the adults areas, at night, and you can hang out at the adult pool and go to the Cove Cafe.

I do remember seeing a few things on the Navigators, specifically for the 18+ crowd, for example 'Have lunch with the Magic staff' and things like that. Not sure how much fun that is though. lol

I hope you end up having fun, and the fact that you can bring a friend will make a big difference since you'll already have someone to hang out with.

It does appear that DCL is trying to do more with the older teens and events like Terry mentioned (lunch) are great just to meet others your age to hang around with.

My daughter started cruising on DCL when she was 15 and by the time she was 18 knew many of the counsellors and hung around with a lot of them too. :)

With your friends with you, I'm sure you will have a great time!

Cathy

Thanks for the affirmation I was sort of looking for. :) I discussed my concern with my mom, who was surprisingly very open to what I had to say. She actually researched and reserved with a down payment a cruise on Carnival Glory for around the same time we are booked on the Disney Magic. You can get full refunds until March, so we basically get to decide between them. At first I was excited because I thought I might have a better time on Carvinal, but then I started reading some professional reviews and looking at pictures on the website, and it just seems sort of cheap. I am also not as excited about the ports of call as I was about Disney's. So I think we may go with Disney, even after my initial concern. The only thing that was awesome about Carnival is that we booked basically the same rooms for HALF the price of Disney, though Disney's rooms are much nicer. My mom really liked that. I just don't know - but its nice to know I have a choice!

Keep the comments coming, everyone! I need all the help I can get in this desicion!

Howdy,

I'm older than your age group, but we just returned from a 3 day cruise with Disney, our 6th cruise. On ev ery cruise they had one or more times for singles 18 to 25 years of age. That way you do make friends in your age group and can become friends and maybe meet at the clubs in the evening. Disney Spa is great, we see lots of people your age in the clubs at night. If you are worried about not having a dance partner, don't. There are always crew members just waiting for someone to dance with. If you and your friends like Karoake, they have that a few times too. Sometimes it's 18 and older, other times it's any age. Our party had 2 guys in your age group and they loved it. They have Bingo for money prizes too if you like. The excursions are about the same on all cruise lines. Sometimes they will have a singles excursion too. I've heard that is really fun. Uaually a catamaran ride with lunch included. If you want, I would suggest writing your question on another site you'll get more respones than on this site.

It may be more helpful for you. It's http://www.DCL .com It's a very popular site.

Good luck,

Kathleen

Archived