Nasca Lines overflight

crowpro

Has anyone taken the Nasca Lines overflight. The ship excursion says it is a one hundred minute flight and does not say what type of aircraft is used. Private tours say it is a thirty five minute flight in a Cessna aircraft. There also seems to be a huge price difference. Any help with info about this excursion would be appreciated. We are on the Regatta Miami to Rio cruise starting January 2013.

Thanks

Be sure to choose a reliable operator if you fly over the Nazca lines. There have been a number of fatal accidents in recent years involving aircraft that may not have been serviced properly. Might be wise to check the current situation out using an on-line search engine. Despite my reservations I'm still jealous. Should be a terrific experience. A friend of mine did it many years ago in a hot-air balloon.

As I posted on our roll call - it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to see something truly unique. I cannot imagine being up there for a hundred minutes - the 35 minutes was more than enough for us. There is a reason why they insist you fly on empty stomach and have plenty of bags available :D The small plane makes constant turns to extreme right and left to allow both sides to see all of the many Nazca lines - again and again. The viewing of images through your lense and zooming in does not help either :).

While it is amazing, I was quite relieved when we finally made an approach for landing. I am not sure I am up to it the second time - we'll see.

That said, I would have not missed it for anything and I am glad we did it.

We're interested in doing this in May on Marina. Haven't been able to find the tour on "O's" website.

Paul, could you please provide details as to time, cost, and other pertinent info?

Thanks!

I cannot comment on O's tours as we did this as an overnight trip from Lima (on a land trip).

The flight definitely qualifies as a "must see/do" in my book, just take some motion sickness pills and go on empty stomach. :D

You might find it in a while on the Regatta's shorex for Jan 2013 Lima to Rio - a little before your excursions will be out.

Paul which touring company did you use?

I've webbed two, Bestperutours, by bus, $349pp, about 15 hours, and, Mysteryperu, by private car, $325pp with lunch, also about 15 hours.

I've also noted on another site that you can do it by plane from Lima, reducing about 10 hours of driving time, but, I haven't been able to find the website.

Paul which touring company did you use?

I've webbed two, Bestperutours, by bus, $349pp, about 15 hours, and, Mysteryperu, by private car, $325pp with lunch, also about 15 hours.

I've also noted on another site that you can do it by plane from Lima, reducing about 10 hours of driving time, but, I haven't been able to find the website.

I believe we did some version of this one out of Lima in 2008:

http://www.peru-explorer.com/nasca_lines_2d.htm

If you have the time, the overnight stay is nice as it is less traveling in one day. Also, the Ballestas Islands were quite interesting. At the time I remember seeing the flight out of Lima as well as a same day trip option.

I do not have the prices for that trip in "08.

PS Or maybe we did this one?

http://www.peru-explorer.com/nasca_ballestas.htm

Our time in Lima requires Nasca being done in one day.

We arrive at 8AM, too late for day one, and, we depart at 5PM on day three, too early for after 7PM arrivals from tours. So, all dayer needs to be done on day two.

Thanks for your help!

Our time in Lima requires Nasca being done in one day.

We arrive at 8AM, too late for day one, and, we depart at 5PM on day three, too early for after 7PM arrivals from tours. So, all dayer needs to be done on day two.

Thanks for your help!

The buses are quite nice with reclining seats - you can get a decent rest. You may have to get 1st class?

You'll be glad you did it.

Regatta- Miami to Rio January 2013

Nasca Lines

Does anyone know what type plane the ships tour uses... How many passengers...... Does everyone have a window seat...etc.

Some on these boards have expressed safety concerns..... Does the ship tour use a reliable tour operator? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

It's a very small local airport and,AFAIK, there is only one operator - but I do not know this for certain.

The planes are very small and everyone will have a window seat.

That was the situation in 2008 - things may have changed since as the place is more popular and probably more visited.

The cessna is a Sky Caravan, a SEL turbo prop STOL, which is used by many air tours. It is a high wing for good visability with large windows and a work horse. Fed-X uses then in mountain regions to carry extreme loads in all sorts of nasty weather. The can seat 18, but 12 is better.

I have flown them and in them... way safer than a twin engine because of glide ratio and power to weight ratio. ( strong single engine aircraft are way safer than light or med twin/ multi engine aircraft)

They use them here in Hawaii for airliners and air tours,

Look up Sky Carravan.. they are tanks....

According to this website:

http://www.mysteryperu.com/eng/co_nazca_lines.html

They are using these planes:

Cessna single-engine aircraft (Station air, Skyhawk or Skyline type).

That means nothing to me but hopefully that mean more to others :)

This website also has a lot of info about the flight itself and the Nasca lines in general.

These are light aircraft of 4 to 6 passengers, high wing and do about 150 mph. They are very safe for the most part and very simple aircraft...IE not a lot can go wrong thats going to screw them up. they are about 235 HP and can fly rather slow like 65 Kts

I am surprised that they do not use the Sky Caravan

A hint on keeping your cookies...its all the inner ear and cent. force. When seated, keep your head looking ahead... in line with the direction of flight. The pilot will turn into a bank and once established in the bank, hold it. Now turn your head and look and you wont get vertigo. Its a simple thing fighter pilots learn earily on.. orient your head where you are going till the G force locks your inner fluid and makes it safe. Other direction, you blow-chow fast. because whne you trun your head and the ear tells you your are going in another direction, you loose vision, orientation and what you last ate........ ( see vertigo)

This works on roller coaters too.. Every US pilot has to go through this in flight for real, before he gets his wings... It is eye opening.. it was for me.

Okay, you've convinced me NOT to do this!

My husband and I honeymooned on Monhegan Island off Maine. We flew from Boston (Logan Airport) to -- I forget which airport in Maine. It was close to our departure point.

When I saw three guys go out on the tarmac and lift the plane so they could turn it around, I knew I was done ...

We flew at about an altitude of 100 feet ...

NEVER AGAIN! (Well, not "never again" to Monhegan, just to the flight!)

Lets put this persepctive, in Peru and in New York the M25: getting to the airport is the most dangerous part, far more than flying. Busses going off roads, etc... is even more common.

If the ship has the Cessna Caravan tour.. they will have had their agents check the certs and insurance of the operator. I suspect some of the accidents are brought about by, pardon the expression, "fly by nights" some guy with a littel plane seeking to make some dough.

While I have never taken this trip the potential liabiliy of it to the ship is your insurance that its going to be just fine. The Caravan is a friggen paragon of safety. When you look at accidents, 90% will be weather and pilot flew into conditions that exceeded his ability . less than 5% are from mechanical.

On the otherhand, ya' cant live forever !!;)

Archived