Ft. Lauderdale - Hyatt Pier 66

Leosmom

We will be staying at this hotel pre-cruise for 3 days. Got it on Priceline recently after trying for the Marriot or Renaisannce without any luck :(

The reviews are very mixed. Apparently Priceline customers are put in the

older Lanai section of the hotel. Has anyone stayed here before?

I've read that the "newer" section of the Lanai rooms are in the East wing???

Can anyone verify that for me?

Any tips regarding the Hyatt and/or surrounding area would also be very much appreciated - trying to plan ahead a bit,

Thanks for any suggestions anyone can provide :)

I stayed at this hotel a few years back in a Lanai room and found this hotel to be excellent. I did not get this hotel on priceline, I got it through the cruise line I sailed. This hotel is in a great spot, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanks for your reply, Doone,

I'm hoping to get a decent room here and as long as we do i'm sure our stay will be pleasant as the hotel/grounds look very nice. I know to ask for a second floor room if we are put in the Lanai section. I have very bad allergies and have

read that the 1st floor rooms are musty and damp :(

We stay here quite often for "weekend getaways". We've stayed in both the tower and the garden (Lanai) rooms. Between the two we prefer the Lanai rooms. Awaking in the morning, stepping out onto your patio overlooking the million dollar yachts on the intercoastal or the tropical gardens can't be beat. The gardens are so lush, the fragrance from the flowers is so breath taking. When you wake up in the morning in a Lanai room you actually feel as if your on a Caribbean island.

The Tower on the other hand has some great views, the same views you get from the rooftop rotating cocktail lounge. The waits for an elevator are not too bad in the tower. When you wake in the morning in a tower room, it feels like a hotel room anywhere else in the country. Don't get me wrong, the towers are nice, just a little generic.

Overall, the entire property is beautiful. The water taxi stops on the property, you can enjoy a cocktail while waiting for it. The sunsets from the rooftop lounge are spectacular. The property is well maintained, the rooms are well kept.

Tell us what you think when you get back. ;)

I had a first floor lanai room and did not find it damp or musty. This was a few years back and I know things change, but we were very happy with the hotel itself and would stay there again. Have a great time.

Thanks to you both, I feel much better now!

Bequia, I had also read that the garden rooms can be very nice and do give you the feel that you are not in a hotel in any city. I was thinking of just asking for a room here on the second level in the "newer" wing :) I followed others' advice and joined the Hyatt club also. I'm sure our stay will be okay, i was just a little worried since we will be here 3 days pre-cruise. kinda long if we get stuck in one of those undesirable rooms. We were just hoping for a relaxing few days before we cruise, but if the place is not to our liking, we will just hop on the water taxi, go to the beach, or do some shopping/sightseeing in FLL.

I'm sure it'll be fine, especially since we got the room on Priceline for $85 a night. Can't complain about that!

We cruise on 5/28 and i'll be sure to post when we return :)

I booked this hotel through PriceLine. A few days ago I called in to see if I can get a tower room and was told that I will get a Garden room, that the tower room would cost extra. The guy on the phone also said that I can request a tower room at check-in and if one is available I may get it without having to pay extract.

Thanks to you both, I feel much better now!

I was thinking of just asking for a room here on the second level in the "newer" wing I followed others' advice and joined the Hyatt club also. I'm sure our stay will be okay, i was just a little worried since we will be here 3 days pre-cruise. kinda long if we get stuck in one of those undesirable rooms. We were just hoping for a relaxing few days before we cruise, but if the place is not to our liking, we will just hop on the water taxi, go to the beach, or do some shopping/sightseeing in FLL.

I'm sure it'll be fine, especially since we got the room on Priceline for $85 a night. Can't complain about that!

Leosmom, your worrying for nothing. First and foremost there are no "undesirable rooms" on this property.When you check in, if you have a problem with your room, tell them, I'm sure they'll bend over backwards to accomodate you. I've stayed here quite often and have never been disappointed with this hotel. I think you'll have a hard time trying to figure out which section is the "newer" section. On a side note, all of my stays here have been booked thru Priceline as well.;)

We also prefer the garden/lanai rooms to those in the tower. There is nothing wrong with them - they are quite nice and have great balconies.

This is a fantastic property and our first choice for FLL always. Tried the Renaissance last month - did not care for it near as much, though the staff were very friendly. You can't go wrong with Pierr 66, imo.

Thanks everyone for your comments, we are really not picky and am glad to get some input from cruise critics who have been at the Hyatt.....can always rely on this community :) The garden rooms sound perfect, i think I would prefer them to the towers also, was not going to ask to be upgraded there after reading that they have balconies and are in a nice garden like setting.

The last time i tried priceline was a year ago in San Juan and we got a similar type room which we loved. We were put in a ground floor garden section which was beautiful and had a view of the pond. This was at the Caribe Hilton; I'd go back there in a heartbeat!

We just stayed here in January. The room was second floor lanai room and was perfect. Had a balcony overlooking the pools. The balcony was pretty private and had great views. The gardens were lush. After we checked in, not one person would know that we booked it using PL. The staff was very accomodating and gracious. We would definitely stay here again and would also use it as a destination in itself. The Pelican Bar was a great little restaurant on the property that has a deck and tables overlooking the waterway. The yachts are tied up right there. Just ask the valets at the door to take you there in the golf cart and they will make a quick trip of it. They will then come pick you up when you are done. The revolving rooftop lounge is a great place to watch the sunset. Don't miss it. The pools are open deep into the night, the pool bars are not. Oh well. Breakfast the next morning was a little pricey, but it was very delicious.

Have a great time and if you have any questions, please ask.

The Wog, Thanks for your post and all the great tips. I'm glad to hear more

good things about the Hyatt. After getting this hotel and then reading tripadvisor.com

I got a little worried - the reviews were very mixed. We will definitely visit the revolving

rooftop lounge and the Pelican Bar.

The Pelican Bar was really pretty neat. They had a live musician taking requests. He played the guitar with background music. He was pretty good. And the food was delicious. There is a water taxi stop there as well so you can explore FLL a little more. The pools were empty late at night and the jacuzzi was huge, so make sure you try that.

We got our room through priceline, like you I was concerned about this being a rundown property, etc, etc, etc.($105)

I was very impressed with everything. They will not allow a upgrade to tower over the phone, with their resevsations or with Passport gold program. I tried. But I did ask calling the hotel the morning of our arrival just to confirm. Acted nice and asked them to do whatever they could do.

Got there, they upgraded us to a tower room, no extra charge, in fact we got a junior suite.(listed at $550 a nite) apparently doesn't happen often, so just kep your expectations reasonable and you'll not be disappointed if you get the regular room, anything else will be gravy. We were going on princess for a week to celebrate our anniversary and the stay at the hyatt was a great sendoff.

The whole place is very classy and very well run and clean. There was a large conference there so there were lots of people, but I couldn't tell it.

We got in at 5 and were in the room at 5:30 and had a golf cart take us to the pelican bar for a couple drinks and a great burger. As describe by a previous poster-Thewog, but he was right on his description. He had responded about his visit, before we left and he was very helpful and detailed.(thanks Thewog).

The grounds and layout are great, a liquor store across the 17th street, just a quick walk, and a few drinks in the rotating bar. You get it we didn't want to leave Saturday morning. Pool area was very tropical, lots of large palms, shady but open. Pools were clean and nice, big area but didn't feel big more intimate.

Room was clean, fresh, saw no problems. Looked at the rooms around the pool. Yes they are in an older section but we agreed we could stay there for a nice long weekend or longer. Food wasn't cheap but I about what you would expect at a upscale hotel. I would be quite a walk to the food places on the port side near marriot etc. but not impossible.

Tower rooms get alot of afternoon road noise from the 17th street causeway, which surprised me, but not with the door closed. Nothing like seeing your ship come into port early saturday morning-5:45 -6:00 am, in the early morning light from your tower room.

Go and enjoy, the place was A-OKAY with me and we are upscale travelers, but not perfectionists. But for the life of me, I can't think of anything negative, with the exception of the size of the property being vast with walks to the intercoastal, but what a great stroll it was........ and not alot of other food choices within easy walking distances, but with 3 days you could use water taxi or taxi or car and solve that issue.

Thanks Bob for your input....wow, what a great upgrade! I'm sure that rarely happens! Thanks also for all the great info, you've answered a lot of my other questions. We will be very happy with whatever we get as long as it's clean and not musty :)

Thanks everyone for all your replies, we are leaving Wednesday:D and will post when we return,

leosmom

It was clean,not musty, you'll be impressed with the hotel, unless the older rooms are a mess. I just couldn't believe there could be that much difference. Everything else was spotless, and well cared for. Please give me some feedback, we are deeply considering a return engagment, maybe for a long weekend.

Have a great cruise, and a trip.

Any other questions, just ask.

Bob V.

The whole place is very classy and very well run and clean. There was a large conference there so there were lots of people, but I couldn't tell it.

We got in at 5 and were in the room at 5:30 and had a golf cart take us to the pelican bar for a couple drinks and a great burger. As describe by a previous poster-Thewog, but he was right on his description. He had responded about his visit, before we left and he was very helpful and detailed.(thanks Thewog).

You're welcome. Glad I could help and you had a great time. Wasn't that a surprisingly good burger? I really enjoyed it.

Hi All!

I have been toying with the idea of trying Priceline (would be my 1st) for a hotel pre-cruise stay on 12/2. I checked on Hotwire & a room, which I think is the Hyatt, is going for $225. Do you think it would be around the same on Priceline? What would the chances be if bid $150 for a 4 star/beach area hotel that I would end up with the Hyatt? I have read a few reviews about the 2 Sheraton beach hotels & they weren't good at all (smelly & dirty) and I sure wouldn't want to end up with one of them.

First choice would be the Hyatt then Marriott Marina. Can anyone help me get over the fear of using Priceline??

THANKS in advance!

rocks

I have read others getting the Hyatt for around $85 - $95. I personally have received the Marriott Hotel and Marina twice, once I paid $52 and the second time paid $75 compliments of priceline.

To get over your fear of priceline, read these two web sites, they are very, very helpful: http://www.biddingfortravel.com and http://www.biddingforfun.com wealth of information found here.

This is how I like to bid: 3* downtown Ft. Lauderdale, have, so far, received the Marriott Hotel and Marina. I added the beach zone to downtown after getting nothing for strictly downtown and got the Radisson, I was very happy with this hotel as well.

If you want to try to for the Hyatt, bid 4* beach zone. Remember, there is no guarantee you will receive the Hyatt and once your receive your hotel through priceline, you cannot cancel it, just be aware of that.

Good luck, any other questions, please ask away.

rocks - betterbidding.com is another site to check out. I was leary like you, but took the plunge. I ended up bidding 4* beach zone and got the Hyatt Pier 66 (which after researching, I knew I would get) for $95.00 for the night pre-cruise. This was in November 04 for a January 05 stay. Give it a shot and good luck. Let us know.

We stayed at the Hyatt on a priceline bid of $110.00 for 2 rooms on Feb. 27th. Upon check in we were both given upper floor tower rooms. They were immaculate with incredible views. We did not belong to any club, nor did we call ahead for a tower room. This is just what was given to us, without asking for an upgrade. I'm not usually this lucky, but it can happen!

• 2 weeks later...

I posted earlier in this thread about calling to calling in to request a tower room and being told that that would require an upgrade. Well, I checked in last Friday 5/27 and was automatically given a tower room no questions asked. There was a little mix-up with my first room assignment. It was just a living room that adjoins with a bedroom. The door to the bedroom was opened and there was a lady in there talking on the phone with the front desk... apparently she also got the wrong room.

A quick trip back down to the lobby corrected the problem and 15 minutes later I was in my beautifully appointed and spacious tower room. The place was 100% booked. It was already almost midnight so we ordered room service. Best hotel room service food I'd ever had. Maybe we were just hungry. The views were excellent. From my tower view, we could see the entire cruise dock area including all the cruise ships that arrived the next morning.

I was surprised to find out that the wired internet connection was not free. I was expecting that it would be free for a 4-star hotel. It was about $8 for one day.

I have stayed at the Hyatt, Its my favorite. If there on a Saturday or Sunday night go to the revolving room at the top for a birds eye view of the ships leaving Ft Lauderdale. Especially during the winter months when there are about 10 ships going out

Just be careful because the christmas boat parade is dec 10th.

Archived