Glory Cell phone/data

Stevedan

We are going on the Glory soon to Canada from NYC. It has been a few years since our last cruise, and even longer since we cruised on Carnival. Therefore, this may seem like a stupid question.

We got the 100mg data plan for our phones (Iphones and Blackberry Tour), but does the Glory have WIFI? If it does, is there a charge for it? How do you access it when aboard?

Sorry, but we are not very technologically savvy (except for our kids).

Thanks!

If you are not tech savy, my best advice to you is to turn the phone off and put them in the safe as soon as you board.

Even people that thought they knew what they were doing have come home with hundreds or thousands of dollars on their phone bill.

In general your smartphone is constantly checking for data. There are no cell towers so it's using the ships satelitte. This has nothing to do with your plan. It gets real expensive. Ship-wide Internet is available but it's slow and expensive as well. Using your cell to call home runs about $2.50 per minute. You're best off turning off your phone. For more info check Cellular at Sea's website or with Carnival regarding internet plans.

http://www.wmsatsea.com/index.html

There are roaming charges in addition to the international plan I got from Verizon for the duration of the cruise?

Also, what does Carnival charge for WIFI?

There are no roaming charges if you have the international plan and are on land using land towers. When you are on the ship the cell service is through cellular at sea. Data is almost non-existent on the the ship unless you go via ship's wifi:

Time Plans offer guests the opportunity to enjoy a lower per-minute rate. These Time Plans are transferable between Internet Café terminals and personal laptops/wireless devices, can be used anytime throughout the cruise until disembarkation and don’t have to be used in a single session. No refund will be provided for unused minutes. Upgrading a pre-selected pricing option is not available and plans are subject to change.

• 480 minutes for $159 USD

• 240 minutes for $89 USD

• 120 minutes for $59 USD

• 45 minutes for $29 USD

• Pay As You Go: $0.75/min

I saw another post from someone who ended up getting high charges even with their phone turned off. Someone said make sure to put your phone in airplane mode also to avoid this / be safe. // We're going on the Glory on August 6th, and I'm going to have everyone in my family do the airplane mode thing, turn off their phones and then I'll collect them all and put them in my backpack. For budget purposes, our cruise will be a wireless cruise. // My 16 year old will keep in touch and let us know where he is if he is with other teens rather than us on the ship by using the regular phones that are all over, calling our room, and leaving a voice mail message. We'll just have to do things the old fashioned way and go to our room to pick up messages to get information.

Archived