Our DIY Stockhom Tour

verga

Eurodam docked at Pier 167 Stadsgarden. We were the first group to get off the ship at 8:00 am. The tourism booth was just outside the secured fenced area and you can buy a strip of 16 public transport tickets for 200SEK or the Stockholm Card for 495 SEK - payment is by credit card only (no cash). The other option was to take the Yellow HoHo Stromma boat which we did.

There are 2 or 3 different operators of the canal boats docked close to Eurodam. We chose the yellow one (Stromma) because it was the first one to leave at 8:05 am. It was 40 SEK for one stop or 100 SEK for an all-day pass. We paid in cash but I think you can pay by credit card too. Our group of 6 plus 2 other couples were the only ones on the boat and since we all wanted to go to the Vasa Museum, they took us directly there. We were in line at 8:15 am waiting for the museum to open at 8:30 am. The tour buses started to come in at just before 8:30 am. There is a separate entrance for group tours. Admission fee was 110 SEK. Although we paid cash, we saw others paid by credit card. It was nice to be the first group in the museum before the big crowd came in.

We left Vasa at 9:40 am, walked 5 mins to take the tram (I think it is tram #7 but please confirm with the Vasa info desk) to Sergel Torgs where we met the Stockholm Free Walking Tour at 10:00 am. Tram ticket was 44 SEK pp (cheaper had we had bought the strip of 16 tickets for 200 SEK).

http://www.freetourstockholm.com/

Our guide was Polina and there were 43 of us in the group. Polina was quite good in handling the big crowd and her English is very good. It was a wonderful 1.5 hr tour from Sergel Torgs to the Royal Palace. The tour finished at 11:30 am.

We took pictures, had a quick bite for lunch and lined-up for the Changing of the Guards. We didn't get a good spot so please be sure to line up early and closest to the Royal Palace to see the actual changing of the guards. We still got good pictures of the guards and the band.

We walked around Gamla Stan and then went inside the Royal Palace. Admission fee was 150 SEK pp (credit card accepted) and it included English guided tours of the Treasury, State apartments and the Tre Kronor Museum. We left at about 3:50 pm and took the Stromma HoHo boat for a nice canal tour with English audio until we reached Pier 167.

Eurodam docked at Pier 167 Stadsgarden. We were the first group to get off the ship at 8:00 am. The tourism booth was just outside the secured fenced area and you can buy a strip of 16 public transport tickets for 200SEK or the Stockholm Card for 495 SEK - payment is by credit card only (no cash). The other option was to take the Yellow HoHo Stromma boat which we did.

There are 2 or 3 different operators of the canal boats docked close to Eurodam. We chose the yellow one (Stromma) because it was the first one to leave at 8:05 am. It was 40 SEK for one stop or 100 SEK for an all-day pass. We paid in cash but I think you can pay by credit card too. Our group of 6 plus 2 other couples were the only ones on the boat and since we all wanted to go to the Vasa Museum, they took us directly there. We were in line at 8:15 am waiting for the museum to open at 8:30 am. The tour buses started to come in at just before 8:30 am. There is a separate entrance for group tours. Admission fee was 110 SEK. Although we paid cash, we saw others paid by credit card. It was nice to be the first group in the museum before the big crowd came in.

We left Vasa at 9:40 am, walked 5 mins to take the tram (I think it is tram #7 but please confirm with the Vasa info desk) to Sergel Torgs where we met the Stockholm Free Walking Tour at 10:00 am. Tram ticket was 44 SEK pp (cheaper had we had bought the strip of 16 tickets for 200 SEK).

http://www.freetourstockholm.com/

Our guide was Polina and there were 43 of us in the group. Polina was quite good in handling the big crowd and her English is very good. It was a wonderful 1.5 hr tour from Sergel Torgs to the Royal Palace. The tour finished at 11:30 am.

We took pictures, had a quick bite for lunch and lined-up for the Changing of the Guards. We didn't get a good spot so please be sure to line up early and closest to the Royal Palace to see the actual changing of the guards. We still got good pictures of the guards and the band.

We walked around Gamla Stan and then went inside the Royal Palace. Admission fee was 150 SEK pp (credit card accepted) and it included English guided tours of the Treasury, State apartments and the Tre Kronor Museum. We left at about 3:50 pm and took the Stromma HoHo boat for a nice canal tour with English audio until we reached Pier 167.

Thanks very much for a nice, useful report. Especially regarding what is available in the small tourist kiosk behind the gates. As locals we are not allowed beyond the gates and there have been conflicting reports on what sort of public transportation options they were offering. Nice to know you can get the ticket strips. I believe that by next year the strips will no longer be available though. Visitors will have to purchase trips on a re-fillable card for use on public transport. I don't believe that will affect this season though.

Thanks again,

Al

Thanks very much for a nice, useful report. Especially regarding what is available in the small tourist kiosk behind the gates. As locals we are not allowed beyond the gates and there have been conflicting reports on what sort of public transportation options they were offering. Nice to know you can get the ticket strips. I believe that by next year the strips will no longer be available though. Visitors will have to purchase trips on a re-fillable card for use on public transport. I don't believe that will affect this season though.

Thanks again,

Al

You are welcome. I hope someone can use the Stockholm info provided.

Archived