Mendenhall city bus?? MT. Roberts Tram??

marilynbn

We will be arriving in Juneau at 2pm. I will be going directly to our whale watching excursion and probably will be done by 6:30 or so. I was thinking about having dinner in town ( any suggestions?) and then taking the bus to Mendenhall glacier. Does anyone know how late the buses run? What is the cost? Will there be enough daylight, mid July, to see glacier well and where do you catch the bus? Second question. What is cost of Mt. Roberts Tram and how late does it run? Third question...is Red Dog Saloon a place to have dinner? Thanks so much Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

I live in Juneau, let me see if I can help you out a bit..... If you are taking the whale watching trip with ORCA, they may be able to drop you off at the glacier on the way back to town, if not, you may want to arrange for a cab to pick you up at the dock in Auke Bay after your whale watch and take you to the glacier, this will save you a lot of time because the glacier is in the same vicinity as Auke Bay where you leave and return to for the whale watch. Eating in town suggestions would be the Red Dog, good food, and non-smoking, and lots of fun. Hangar and Twisted FIsh are also very good. You will have decent daylight until about 10pm in July, really depends on the weather. Tram prices: Adult: $23.95,Child 6-12: $12.50, Child 5 & Under: FREE

I hope this helps! Enjoy your visit!

Ak Angel - Thanks for your help. I am going whale watching with Capt. Larry at 3:30. Are you saying that where they pick us up and drop us off is near Mendenhall? Would we then have to take a cab there and a cab back to the pier area? Cost? Do we need reservations at the Red Dog Saloon, since there will be a few ships in port that day? Wow, I was shocked at the price for the tram..there are 3 of us so I don't think I want to spend $75 just to ride a tram. Are there any ways of getting coupons or discounts for that? Thanks again.. Marilyn

Where you come in from the whale watch is called Auke Bay, from there it is only a couple miles to the Mendenhall Glacier, you could call a cab, have them pick you up at Auke Bay, take you to the glacier, when you're done there, you could call another cab and have them take you back to downtown Juneau, where the cruise ships are. I just called the Red Dog, no one is answering right now, but I think its a first come first served deal. I will ask around and let you know.

At Auke Bay when you come in from the Whale watch there is the Hot Bite, right there and they have good food, the halibut burger is GREAT!

As for the tram, I personally think its over-rated, but that is from a locals aspect, its different but very pricey, for not much......once again, personal opinion. The only time there are discounts is for locals and then this weekend for local appreciation.

Archived