private boat tours ST John

Jiffymom

You won't have time to do that on a cruise. Yes, you can hire a private boat, but you can't do much beach hopping on one day.

It takes almost an hour to get to St John from the docks in town. Then once a boat from STT gets to STJ, there's the issue of where they're going to "park" the boat. Since STJ is mostly national park, there are restrictions as to where you can put your boat.

Also, the Baths aren't on STJ. They're in the BVI, and most people who go from STT are on a land vacation, because it's pretty much a full 8 hour day trip (they visit other islands during the day).

Don't know where Waterman Island is. Do you mean Waterlemon Cay on STJ? Some of the day sails on STJ go there, but you'd have to get on the boat on STJ.

It could get really expensive if you don't have at least 6 people.

You can have a nice beach day at other beaches. What would be your ideal "nice beach day?"

Well the tours to St John seems its only 3 or 4 hours of actual beach time. I want to show off more than one beach to my kids.I love StJohns. The other option is a snorkel and beach trip on Bones to Honeymoon beach on Waterman Island with a snorkel stop. That is a 6 hour tour. There is a catamaran tour that is 4 hours but I am wondering which gives you the most beach time.

You could probably do it by taxi and visiting Hawknest, Trunk, and Cinnamon, but not by boat. You'd be rushed, though.

Bones goes to Honeymoon Beach which is on Water Island BUT there's also a Honeymoon on St John. The one on St John is only accessible by hike or boat. Don't know where Bones stops for snorkeling, but there is SOME snorkeling at Honeymoon on Water Island. Not as good as other places, though.

There's a 3 beach tour offered on St Thomas that would work for a cruise stop. If you want info, let me know and I'll post the link. I don't think it's offered on the ships yet.

Well the tours to St John seems its only 3 or 4 hours of actual beach time. I want to show off more than one beach to my kids.I love StJohns. The other option is a snorkel and beach trip on Bones to Honeymoon beach on Waterman Island with a snorkel stop. That is a 6 hour tour. There is a catamaran tour that is 4 hours but I am wondering which gives you the most beach time.

Easy - the most beach time is staying on STT and hitting a beach. You can't go wrong with Magens or Sapphire. Ypu wouldn't enjoy rushing from one beach to another on STJ, that is more doable on STT since the East End beaches (Coki, Lindquist, & Sapphire) are close together.

If you want something different look at Pirates Penny / Stormy Petrel from Red Hook to the Baths on Virgin Gorda and a stop at the Soggy $ Bar on beautiful White Bay on Josts. Less beach time but 2 beautiful beaches and a comfortable, uncrowded boat ride. Passport req'd of course.

Many people do the BVI VG/JVD tour or the STJ multi-beach tour when in port for a day, just depends on how long you're in port and what's available. Sapphire Marina ia home to a few STJ options and the operator I mentioned along with others are available for the BVI.

If you don't have the time look at the STT beaches recommended here as they are almost as nice.

Enjoy!

Archived