Patch for motion sickness :Tips for 1st time user

CMM

My 16 year old gets motion sickness all the time. We are going to try the patch out on our upcoming cruise to see if this will be a good option for her with some future traveling next year. She has tried Bonine, Dramamine, relief band shock watch, ginger etc.

I've heard that there can be some negative side effects with the prescription Patch and wondered if anyone has any tips to share.

We were on a cruise awhile back when a middle aged man began acting odd and roaming the ship in his undies. The patch was causing some cognitive issues and once they removed it he was fine after about 5 hours. You may try the lowest dosage before going on the cruise for side effects. Try chamomile tea, Sniffing peppermint oil on a handkerchief, and black licorice candy.

I always wear a patch. ( I can totally relate to her!!!) I start the day before sail away and then take a bonine (sp?) the morning of. My system has gotten used to the patch but when I first started my pupils would dilate for a day or two and of course the dry mouth. I dont get as sleepy the first day as I used to. So she may sleep a tad more the first day. And I change patches on the 3rd day no matter if how many days I have left on the cruise. It helps to keep it on when you are back on land for a day. Of course these are my thoughts and outcomes. I'm sure you will hear people who do not like the patch. My doctor is good with me with it and I can tell you I hate to be motion sick.

Happy cruising!

I always wear a patch. ( I can totally relate to her!!!) I start the day before sail away and then take a bonine (sp?) the morning of. My system has gotten used to the patch but when I first started my pupils would dilate for a day or two and of course the dry mouth. I dont get as sleepy the first day as I used to. So she may sleep a tad more the first day. And I change patches on the 3rd day no matter if how many days I have left on the cruise. It helps to keep it on when you are back on land for a day. Of course these are my thoughts and outcomes. I'm sure you will hear people who do not like the patch. My doctor is good with me with it and I can tell you I hate to be motion sick.

Happy cruising!

I don't need the patch but husband does the same thing starting the day before the cruise & has no issues....GL

I recently found out bonine has antihistamines in it, which I am allergice to - so that option was out for my first cruise in Sept.

My doctor suggested the patch - BUT recommended trying it before we cruise. That way if there are any problems I am close to hospitals and medical care if need be.

Also it won't ruin my cruise.

Hope this helps,

My 16 year old gets motion sickness all the time. We are going to try the patch out on our upcoming cruise to see if this will be a good option for her with some future traveling next year. She has tried Bonine, Dramamine, relief band shock watch, ginger etc.

I've heard that there can be some negative side effects with the prescription Patch and wondered if anyone has any tips to share.

TransDerm-Scop is a patch prescribed for prevention of nausea/vomiting associated with motion sickness. The patch is generally applied behind one ear at least 4 hours before departure. It is currently the state of the art drug for prevention of motion sickness. The primary side effect is dryness of the mouth. Other side effects include pupil dilation, blurring of vision, dizziness, and itching/redness at site of application.

Several ways to help with possible side effects include keeping Certs/Life Savors/etc on hand to help with dry mouth. ALSO...it is not well known but one may remove patch at night and replace backing and re-use the next morning therefore lessening the daily amount of drug absorbed.

I recently found out bonine has antihistamines in it, which I am allergice to - so that option was out for my first cruise in Sept.

ALL treatments of motion sickness other than TransDerm-Scop is with an antihistamine....ie meclizine, cyclizine, and dimenhydrinate et al.

I use the patch and i don't get the side effects, i drink with it and feel fine. I didn't have the patch on my first cruise and i was so sick that i missed over half of the cruise, my aunt gave a patch and within a hour i started feeling better, i wouldn't be able to cruise without it.

We were on a cruise awhile back when a middle aged man began acting odd and roaming the ship in his undies. The patch was causing some cognitive issues and once they removed it he was fine after about 5 hours. You may try the lowest dosage before going on the cruise for side effects. Try chamomile tea, Sniffing peppermint oil on a handkerchief, and black licorice candy.

Happened to my uncle too. A bunch of my cousins went out on a Deep sea fishing excursion and my uncle went along, wearing a patch. He started having such cognitive issues, they thought he had had a stroke and hurried back to shore! (He didn't try to roam in his undies luckily!)

I suffer from terrible motion sickness!! Our first cruise I took Dramamine and slept the whole time. Tried Ginger didn't work near well enough, HOWEVER I tried the patch and am a believer. I have to wear the patch if I am flying, riding in the back seat of a car etc. Even with the patch IF it gets rough I have to go to bed :( but I feel fine if it's smooth. I do get really bad dry mouth so I drink a lot leading to many trips to the bathroom :rolleyes: but it's not to puke so I'll take it :D!!! Take some SUGAR FREE candy for her...it helps with the dry mouth. And good luck....motion sickness well it just stinks!!!

Our son's first cruise was when he was 16. He wore the "patch" on this first cruise. You can see our limited cruise history below. On each cruise since his first, he has worn the patch. Never gotten close to being 'sea sick'. I've ordered the patch for upcoming cruise. All 3 of us (myself, husband, and son) will be wearing them. I speak for our family when I say we'd rather be thirsty and "feeling" the motion (BUT NOT IN A BAD WAY). What's that old saying...better safe than sorry? After spending the $$ to go on a cruise, it applies here for sure. Just our experience, it's your call. Have a good time.:)

After more than 20 cruises, and only one without the patch, I HAVE to wear it. I do get the dry mouth, some minor light headedness, but the seasickness was SO AWFUL without it that I will NEVER cruise without one again.

I know a few people who swear by the wrist bands. I use Bonine (one each evening before bed) and have never had problems but my sister can only tolerate half of a Bonine. I would definitely have her try the patch before cruising as I have also heard of many people not doing well with it. If you go that route, I would not give her too much sugar free candy as that will cause gastrointestinal distress.:eek:

My mother has horrible motion sickness (also suffers from vertigo) and I finally got her to cruise by getting the trams-derm patch for her. She puts it on 4 - 6 hours before boarding the ship and changes it every 3 days and since then has never had a problem.

I can't help but brag but this patch is non-prescription here in Canada! Purchase from the druggest for $12 - $15 per box of 2.

TransDerm-Scop is a patch prescribed for prevention of nausea/vomiting associated with motion sickness. The patch is generally applied behind one ear at least 4 hours before departure. It is currently the state of the art drug for prevention of motion sickness. The primary side effect is dryness of the mouth. Other side effects include pupil dilation, blurring of vision, dizziness, and itching/redness at site of application.

Several ways to help with possible side effects include keeping Certs/Life Savors/etc on hand to help with dry mouth. ALSO...it is not well known but one may remove patch at night and replace backing and re-use the next morning therefore lessening the daily amount of drug absorbed.

I use the Trans derm patch for flying and while on mission trips. I always put it on the night before we leave and never have any problems until the third day when I change it. I always get dizzy for a few hours. I've learned to change it at night and go right to sleep. I would love to know how she does on the cruise since we will be going on our first in April and I'm undecided as to what to use.

Since you need a script for the patch ask her doctor is you can cut them in half and start from there. The key to not over medicating is to remember that after the third day, when you put on a new patch, is "to place the new one on the opposite ear."

Good luck to your 16 year old. Hopefully this will help with her motion sickness and she will be able to enjoy her cruise.

LOL... Next time I have too much to drink maybe Ill get a little band-aid that looks like the patch and put it on. Blame it on the patch.:eek: Just kidding!

I use ginger and Meclizine as needed.

Best of luck!

Two things: I tried it once and had such a bad reaction with my vision that I had to take it off. The blurriness was terrible. It took a good 18 - 20 hours for my vision to return to normal after I removed the patch. When I returned from our trip, I went for an eye exam to see if I had any problems. I was diagnosed with narrow angle glaucoma. I have since had the condition treated with laser holes to my irises. Make sure your daughter does not have any unknown eye problems as they can worsen if you use the patch.

My dh would not be able to cruise with out the patch but it gives him bloodshot eyes and dry mouth. He deals with it though because I love cruising.

I can't use the patch. Makes me feel terrible-vision very blurred and dizzy feeling. I haven't had an RX for a patch in a while but when I did the instructions specifically said do not cut it in half! So be careful of that.

I used to get seasick if the seas were in the least bit rough but since using Bonine (Meclizine) I do fine. I start the night before boarding the ship and continue each night. Never been sick since.

my sister and I use these bracelets (allbeit not fashionable or attractive looking) grey accupuncture bracelets which stop sickness motion feeling we have never been sick when we have worn them and the best part is we do not have any side effects to wearing them :) if you could hunt down anti sickness bracelets i highly recommend them

I haven't had an RX for a patch in a while but when I did the instructions specifically said do not cut it in half! So be careful of that.

Cutting the patch can affect the absorbtion of the drug... she could get too much too fast. I am an RN in a surgical setting, and we use the Scopalamine patch as an anti-nausea drug fairly regularly with good results most of the time. Good advice to try it before the cruise to discover if any side effects occur. Many people don't experience any!

She definitely needs to wash her hands thoroughly after removing the old patch. If the drug gets in her eye, it can cause that eye to dilate quite a bit. Looks weird, and can be scary if you don't know what's going on!

I wonder if the cognitive side effects are more prevalent in older people maybe?

Good luck!

I used the patch on my first cruise and slept constantly. Finally ditched it the third day, no sickness and awake to enjoy the cruise. On subsequent cruises, if in choppy water and a bit nauseous, I asked for Meclizine at the info desk onboard, and it worked fine.

Archived