Split--Diocletian's palace--wheelchair access?

bilbo109

My cruise has a stop in Split (September 23). I cannot walk and I use an electric wheelchair. I'll be arriving at the Tender dock. I'd like to look around the Riva and also see what I can of the the Palace. I imagine there are steps involved with seeing a good part of the Palace but I'm wondering how much of it I'd be able to get to. With the help of my wife I can get up a small step 10-15cm (4-6") but for multiple steps I'd need a flat area of at least 60cm (24") between the steps. I'd appreciate any info or advice any of you may have, even if it's general info. Thanks!

Following was posted on Trip Advisor.com

Link http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g295370-d317704-r129722794-Diocletian_s_Palace-Split_Split_Dalmatia_County_Dalmatia.html

“Less of an 'attraction' more of an experience!”

x.gif

Reviewed May 10, 2012

Taking up half of Split's old town, the Palace has been built upon by many generations, making it a fantastic site to explore. The south western quadrant is especially interesting as it is above most of the other levels and is often quieter than the rest of the area. Cafes, restaurants and ice cream sellers are everywhere so if you get weary, there is always a spot to sit down and recharge.

The Palace area and old town generally are also very accessible if you have impaired mobility, use a wheelchair or have kids that need buggies. There are steps going down to the subterranean area in from the Riva and the southern entrance to the Palace, emerging into the Peristyle. This can still be seen if you go further north along the Riva and work your way back eastwards. The old town is entirely pedestrianised (a few motorised carts zip about), and are paved with smooth flagstones. Access to most cafes/restaurants shouldn't be a problem but at the time of writing, I didn't think that many of the 'attractions' were very well set up for folk with extra needs so check before you visit.

Visited May 2012

Sounds encouraging! I saw a post on another travel site that said flatly that the Palace was not accessible to wheelchairs. Like practically all ancient sites, I'm sure there are barriers to some parts. I happy to see the glass is at least half-full rather than half-empty. Thanks!

I have been there a couple of weeks ago. It is really right that you can enter the Old Town and the parts of the Palace from going on Riva to your left hand side. Than you see the entrance to the Old Town on your right without steps. You can be there nearly everywhere but not the underground and the old church which is also within the Palace.

I am sure you will be happy there. It's wonderful

Archived