Pride of America cruise

JJAuckland

Aloha

I am travelling with some friends from NZ in October 2012 to do my first cruise for my 50th birthday (I plan on doing something every month for a whole year to celebrate). I come on cc every day & read up on everyones wonderful reviews and comments on their various cruises. I just must say that I wish more of you wrote about your POA experiences ... I thoroughly enjoyed the thread from Zimomiller. I hang on in the hope that POA is in some of your titles & am so excited to have 64 sleeps until we leave for Hawaii.

I do not have big expectations but love all the little tips I am picking up (cupboard behind mirror in bathroom, hanging frame on back of bathroom door to hold all of our containers, plastic bags etc etc.. oh and not packing the clothes we want to wear off the ship on the last night so that we dont have to leave wearing pajamas!)& hoping that in our 2 bed aft family suite we get some of the treats that so many of you mention...

I just want to thank everyone for sharing :-):D

We sailed on the POA late last year just before the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbour. If you have the time take the tour, you can arrange it online before or after the cruise. As you know New Zealand played a big part in the Pacific after the bombing. The USS Missouri Museum is another good place to visit along with the Punchbowl National Cemetery of the Pacific.

We toured with Roberts, they were great, however I am sure there are other tour companies.

Thanks for your responses. I have been to Hawaii many times but never on a cruise. We saw POA when we stayed in Kona last year & I remember thinking how I wished I was cruising on her!

I have previously done the Roberts tour of Pearl Harbour & Punchbowl National Cemetary & last year we again went to Pearl Harbour.

Goodness Budgetqueen - every year? Do you go at the same time or different months?:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off it on Saturday. Did it for our 20th anniversary and had a great time. Haven't had a chance to write my review yet. Basically we rented cars everywhere but Hilo. If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer since fresh in mind. Plus I have plenty of pics if you want to see something

Doug

Just got off it on Saturday. Did it for our 20th anniversary and had a great time. Haven't had a chance to write my review yet. Basically we rented cars everywhere but Hilo. If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer since fresh in mind. Plus I have plenty of pics if you want to see something

Doug

Can't wait to read your review. We leave in 91 days.

Thanks for your responses. I have been to Hawaii many times but never on a cruise. We saw POA when we stayed in Kona last year & I remember thinking how I wished I was cruising on her!

I have previously done the Roberts tour of Pearl Harbour & Punchbowl National Cemetary & last year we again went to Pearl Harbour.

Goodness Budgetqueen - every year? Do you go at the same time or different months?:)

I posted alot about our POA trip Feb of 2011, loved it and would do it again. We rented a car on every island and just did our own thing. Only tour we booked was the road to Hana and it was so worth it

We loved the outside buffet, great place for sailing out of port. Amazing views!

Bring light weight rain jacket, umbrella just got in the way!

We bought online maps from frankomaps.com, they were perfect! talked about the history of the islands, best places to stop at, best beaches to see. they were perfect!

do the pub crawl on the first night! fun, fun, fun and a great way to see the entire ship!

i brought refillable water bottles to bring on the road with us each day, also brought a foldable ice bag to keep drinks cold. got ice on ship first

plenty of road side places to stop for snacks or fresh fruit for lunch

have a great time!

I posted alot about our POA trip Feb of 2011, loved it and would do it again. We rented a car on every island and just did our own thing. Only tour we booked was the road to Hana and it was so worth it

We loved the outside buffet, great place for sailing out of port. Amazing views!

Bring light weight rain jacket, umbrella just got in the way!

We bought online maps from frankomaps.com, they were perfect! talked about the history of the islands, best places to stop at, best beaches to see. they were perfect!

do the pub crawl on the first night! fun, fun, fun and a great way to see the entire ship!

i brought refillable water bottles to bring on the road with us each day, also brought a foldable ice bag to keep drinks cold. got ice on ship first

plenty of road side places to stop for snacks or fresh fruit for lunch

have a great time!

In addition, if you have an Iphone, it works great as a GPS. And bring plenty of ziplock bags because you can buy fruit on the side of the road but you can also take food off the ship and snack on that. Maybe bring a small cooler if you want to keep things cold on land. We rented cars and if you really want to experience the great weather, go for a jeep or convertable. Just remember it does suddenly rain and then clear up. As for pub crawl, I would say it depends on when you get to Hawaii. Those that flew in that day from the east coast were dragging the next morning. If probably is a blast if you have at least had a little time to rest before the cruise as opposed to traveling for about 20 hours straight.

Doug

No complaints - loved everything about it. Really enjoyed having a balcony. We ate at the buffet most of the time as we liked the variety.

We lucked out with a great steward - and enjoyed all of our excursions and trips on our rental cars.

Highly recommend it - we took it in April. If you have anymore questions just ask.

Here's a direct link to my review just after we got back

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1616343

In addition, if you have an Iphone, it works great as a GPS. And bring plenty of ziplock bags because you can buy fruit on the side of the road but you can also take food off the ship and snack on that. Maybe bring a small cooler if you want to keep things cold on land. We rented cars and if you really want to experience the great weather, go for a jeep or convertable. Just remember it does suddenly rain and then clear up. As for pub crawl, I would say it depends on when you get to Hawaii. Those that flew in that day from the east coast were dragging the next morning. If probably is a blast if you have at least had a little time to rest before the cruise as opposed to traveling for about 20 hours straight.

Doug

Your right about the time change, 6 hours time difference for us from New York. Left at 4 am our time got there 4 pm which was 10 pm but we were super charged and had so many things to do!

We did go in three days early but it wasn't enough to balance us out so we were waking up at 3 or 4 am Hawaii time till about the last day!

Coming home was the worse but I'm ready to do it again!

I bought online an insultated bag, used it with ice and drinks and smal snacks.

I used it as my carryon and all around the islands!

Yes bring ziplock bags for snacks, ice and sea shells!

* Avoid the Lazy J Steakhouse. Dog food.

* Avoid the East Meets West sushi bar. Not good.

* Stick with the Skyline Dining Room.

* Go to Pink's Champagne Bar every night. Tip Kaloian, the bar waiter, profusely.

* If Davit is your assistant waiter at the Skyline, treat him nicely. He is a wonderful person.

Archived