USA trip next year: Brussels -> Miami (OOS, AOS) OR ->New York (EOS)???

Hello all,

Looking into a trip to the States next year, we can’t really make up our mind, so all pro’s and con’s are more than welcome :D.

I have been to Florida once before, went to see Disney world, NASA, SeaWorld and the Miami cost line, however it has been a while (14years) so would not really mind going back.

New York is also a must see for us some day…Sights of that city are pretty obvious and very vast.

But then, Miami has the newer monster ships Oasis and Allure, I really like big modern things…Explorer might be an older ship, but she does 9 nighters for just a we little more than sailing on an Oasis class for 7 nights, even combining Bermuda and the Caribbean with EOS, where OOS and AOS only do Caribbean…

Sooooo, what would you guys say here???

*On both occasions we would do the sights a few days before getting on the ship to relax before going home.

Price wise, it would be overall A LOT cheaper to do EOS out of New York taking in account flights, hotels and entry fees compared to Florida.

I would go with New York, especially since it is a city you have not visited.

I will say though, the city may be more enjoyable in warmer weather. Snow and ice are not that easy to walk around in. The only exception is Christmas time...the city is just "magical" then.

Florida is a nice state, and I realize it has been quite a few years since you have been there, but, you have been there. The ships are nice, but not nice enough (in my eyes) to avoid a place I have wanted to explore. You'd still be able to cruise, just not on the newest ships.

While flights to/from NYC will be less costly for you, and you wouldn't incur theme park fees, hotels and food in NYC will likely be a little higher than in Miami.

With that said, if you've never done New York, I think it's time to go for it! But I'm with hazeleyez3, hope this is something you can do late spring-summer-early fall to enjoy optimum weather both in New York and on the Explorer (which has some fascinating warm weather itineraries that route through lovely Bermuda on the way down to or back from the Caribbean). Otherwise, if your travel time is restricted to cooler months, then yes, seeing NYC all dressed up for the holidays is ideal, and you'd simply have to layer up a bit to manage the cooler cruising climate. (Many times, the week or two after Thanksgiving are bargain cruise weeks, and the ships will be decorated and in full merriment mode, so that's something to consider if you're looking to maximize your investment. Hmmm...of course, you'd probably have to devote the savings to the higher hotel prices you'll see in December, so it could be a wash. Oh, well, there's always Priceline!)

Putting aside everything I just said, you've also gotta do the Oasis or Allure just once! So you can't go wrong with that choice. You could mix up your return to Florida by going south to the Keys this time instead of north to the theme parks. Chica Lodge resort is the big splurge down that direction, but there are other terrific choices.

Have fun researching your enviable options! :)

Thanks for the reply’s!

Whilst I highly agree with you two, New York is bound to be very beautiful in the winter…

But we were looking mid-May to do this trip (or is this a bad period to visit the Caribbean?).

Here are the prices (roughly) for the cruise in the cheapest balcony cabin and the flights (in Euros).

-Allure 2196

Flights (with transfer stop) 1376

3572 in total for a 7 night cruise

-Explorer 2551

Flights (direct)1318

3866 in total for a !9! night cruise

We would do the theme parks in Florida, as my girl has not seen them yet. I have looked up Disney world for example and a two day hopper pass is +400UDS!? I was astonished how expensive it all has become…So in the case of doing these visits, I am very sure that New York will end up to be cheaper.

I am a bit afraid of the “older” Explorer, maybe our NOS trip next month will change this

However, I agree to that I want to get on Oasis or Allure someday…I need to do some more looking up apparently :D.

You could do as we did a ciuple of years ago: Fly to NYC, visit the city, then fly to Miami and go on a cruise. After cruise, rent a car, drive to Orlando, visit theme parks and do some shopping, then fly back home.

Don't forget to pray that there will be no volcano ash cloud ;)

Did you catch the Koppen-episode yesterday on Oasis? (or was it Allure?) I saw the last part of it, but did record it, so am going to watch it later on this week.

While the ships look amazing with all the special features, I'm afraid they are too big for us. :)

You could do as we did a ciuple of years ago: Fly to NYC, visit the city, then fly to Miami and go on a cruise. After cruise, rent a car, drive to Orlando, visit theme parks and do some shopping, then fly back home.

Don't forget to pray that there will be no volcano ash cloud ;)

Did you catch the Koppen-episode yesterday on Oasis? (or was it Allure?) I saw the last part of it, but did record it, so am going to watch it later on this week.

While the ships look amazing with all the special features, I'm afraid they are too big for us. :)

Hahaha, that was one of my plans to, except when mentioning it to the misses…I nearly got dinner thrown to my head. She is very weary of long flights, so it is one or the other for us...

Nope, missed the episode yesterday, but still, must get on an Oasis class someday, one of those guys here that just likes really massive things ;) Even looked going to NY via Paris or Heathrow to fly with the Airbus A380 :D

I don't think mid-May is bad for the Caribbean.

The sights in NYC might be cheaper than Disney, but a 3* hotel might cost you $250+/night.

Yes, but even with the 200USD per person for two days Disney you still have to add your stay, I have not looked up what Seaworld and so on costs these days, willing to bet that all went up a lot. And in NY to, we will also need to add entrance costs to visit things...Price might just end up the same.

But even so or not, make the cost issue disappear for a second now ;), what is more worth it…Explorer, visiting NY with 9 nights Bermuda and Caribbean OR Allure/Oasis visiting Florida with 7 nights in the Caribbean??? :D

Archived