Balmoral cabins not that appealing?

katrus-83

We would like to try a Fred olsen cruise and like the look of the Balmoral but to be honest the cabins don't always look that appealing and it's putting us off booking. Having said that we have seen photos where some cabins look more up to date than others.

We are looking to book a superior outside cabin and would appreciate it if anybody could tell us what they are really like (bed configuration, decor etc).

Many Thanks.

We were on Balmoral 2 years ago. We had cabin 3062 (I think that was the number) on the 'lowest' deck.

It was an 'outside' because of the portholes, but you couldn't really see out of them - all they did was let some light in.

The cabin was fine and sufficient room for us two. Having said that, we are not too bothered about the cabins, just use them for sleeping or the occasional rest during the day, so our expectations might be different from yours:) I would personally prefer to spend the money on the other parts of the cruise. Balmoral is a lovely ship and we will be sailing on her next year and have happily gone for an inside cabin (well, my OH was a bit undecided, so I guess we've compromised a bit).:(

Talk to FO direct about the beds and your other concerns. I'm sure they can give you the full info. You could also ask them which cabins have received the most complaints - they keep this info, but don't publish it.

Just a further thought. Be sure you appreciate what is actually meant by 'superior'. We were pointed towards a cabin on Deck 5 or 6 (can't remember) at something like £1500 more. When we looked closely at the spec, it was the same size as ours.

I suggested that it was priced higher mainly because it's on a higher deck and they didn't disagree. That might be OK for you, of course, but just understand what you are getting under the heading of 'superior'.:confused::confused:

Cheers

wft

Cruised with FO, PandO, RCI and Thomson.

We always have an inside.

Cruised on Balmoral, and as far as I can remember the cabin was pretty standard, no worse no better than the rest.

The only cabin that was not as good as the rest was on Thomson Destiny, a bit smaller thn the rest.

I would have no hesitation to recommended the cabin on the Balmoral.

Hope that helps.

Thank you worldfamoustravellers and 1160451 for your replys.

You've raised some good points and certainly given us food for thought.

Cheers!

By the way 1160451 I noticed that you posted a reply about the 4 night

Ventura break. Well we were on that cruise too (small world isn't it?).

It was our first P&O and we really enjoyed it but we do agree with your

comments about the children!

Wow you are right its a small world.

We have cruised on the Arcadia with P and O and found it much more to our taste.

Whilst the We enjoyed the Ventura, the Balmoral to our taste is head and shoulders better.

The smaller ships give us that "special" feel, and the Balmoral fits that bill.

We are also keen formal dancers which Fred Olsen cater more for I think.

Anyway I hope you enjoy if you choose FO.

Take it easy.....

I would just like to say beware of the cabins in the "new" section the soundproofing leaves a lot to be desired! We were in cabin 5090 for the Baltic cruise in June and in the end had to ask to be moved. Loud chatting loud TV, drawers banging, we could even hear them snoring etc!!

just back (yesterday) from cruise on Balmoral, our first on this ship. not first with Fo though.

we were on Deck 5. cabin was ok size wise and well soundprofed. it was not one of the newer mid ship cabins, there was plenty of storage space.

but, we found the beds really uncomfortable, they were two single L shaped beds, worse sleep we have ever had on a cruise, i think they were memory foam matresses.

oh and by the way norovirus bug on the ship, much to our dismay.

we did however have a lovely cruise to the Baltic and didnt get the virus bug thankfully!!

Hi, we were on the previous cruise to you trinitytrees, no sign of noro virus, we had a great cruise. We were in a porthole cabin forward on Coral deck and must say we found the beds to be very comfortable. The only thing I would complain about is the shower which was a very cheap shower and in 8 days never managed to get the temperature just right. I did mean to mention this on the feedback form but forgot.

Last year on Balmoral we were midships on Deck 6 and had no problem with noise from neighbouring cabins.

No, I don't believe there was noro virus on board, there were no restrictions in place and the food including the buffet in Palms was excellent. I think I would have known if there was noro virus as I was on Boudicca in 2010 when we had the virus and we were made well aware of it by the fact that the waiters were serving us in the buffet and the Captain kept us aware of the situation always emphasising the washing of hands thoroughly etc.

I would just like to say beware of the cabins in the "new" section the soundproofing leaves a lot to be desired! We were in cabin 5090 for the Baltic cruise in June and in the end had to ask to be moved. Loud chatting loud TV, drawers banging, we could even hear them snoring etc!!

I agree ,some of the new cabins don,t seem to have any soundproofing,I was able to hold a conversation with a friend through the walls,she had the cabin next door and we didn,t shout.Grade H ,5055-5063- 5063.:eek:

Last year we were in a cabin on the same deck (5) but in the original cabins and had no problem at all, bed heads against the outside under the window. But bear in mind that the bed head end on both sides in 5090 are on the internal wall head to head with the next cabin!!! Now think what I mean about the "etc" in my original message!!!

We still had a wonderful cruise the entertainment was excellent the weather perfect and the cruise through the Kiel Canal fantastic!

I'm new to cruising but on my first two cruises on Balmoral I was very happy with the accommodation first on Coral deck 4035? quite enough room and plenty of storage (great shower too) and then on Bridge deck in an SS 9029 which was spacious and very comforable with a good balcony which was marvellous during the heat of the Med. Next i'm outside in D grade on Black Watch which I'm looking forward to so ,really I'm happy with all grades so far. I'm sure you'll have a great time and only want to go to your cabin for the night or , perhaps, an afternoon doze which I always enjoy!!

Reading all these posts about new cabins & original cabins is making me think Balmoral is one of those ships (like Boudicca) which has been split in the middle & loads of extra cabins added. Is that right? (yes I know, I should have done some research but DH really wanted to go on this cruise!). Please can someone reassure me that the public areas have also been enlarged to accommodate all the extra passengers? Having spent 17 days on Boudicca in 2008 where every single area of the ship was heaving with people, I dread the thought of repeating that experience in November.

Yes, Balmoral has been stretched. But it is our favourite Fred. Olsen ship and Boudicca our least.

Because of the layout on Boudicca we felt like people always seemed to be in the same part of the ship at the same time; e.g. all going through the same corridor for meals, Neptune and Lido lounges above each other at the same end of the ship. We felt like we queued a lot and it always felt crowded.

This isn't the case with Balmoral, to us the layout is far better as the public areas are more spread out. Because of that we think that it feels spacious and it didn't feel crowded.

It's purely personal, I know lots of people love Boudicca, but we would only choose it if we wanted the itinerary and there was no other option.

We'd go back on Balmoral any time (and Braemar), in fact we have cruises already booked on them.

As regards cabins on Balmoral, we tend to choose one with a picture window in the older part of the ship; usually D on deck 5 (I think the newer cabins are grade C) but sometimes we choose on deck 6 grade B, forward of the front lifts. In our experience there is no real difference between B & D apart from location. We also quite like the L shaped arrangement of beds as you have space for a little seating area. As you've been with Fred. before you'll have seen the decor and state of the cabins before as it's very similar on all of their ships.:)

We have been on Boudicca (twice), Black Watch (they are sister ships) and Balmoral and we are booked on Balmoral next year.

Yes, possibly Boudicca might get a bit crowded in the corridors at times, but we never logged it as a major problem and wouldn't have any problems sailing with her again, although I wasn't impressed with the embarkation process at Portsmouth.

wft

We've also been on Black Watch. To us it had a different feel; more spacious than Boudicca, sister ships yes, but just a few less passengers and you are able to go in the other entrance to the restaurant so not everybody is queueing together. We also like the garden Cafe on Black Watch more as it isn't in the centre of the ship so has windows and feels airier. All minor points, I know, but you can only give personal opinions.

I'm pleased to hear your remarks on Black Watch because I'm having my first cruise on it in November. Talking to passengers on Balmoral earlier this year many seemed to have a special love for Black Watch and spoke of it with undisguised affection. Is that Old Brits yearning for An Old Brit or something more?

I have been on all Fred. Olsen's ships, including the much loved "Black Prince" which is long gone. I am torn between the "Balmoral" and the "Black Watch" as my favourite. I am booked on the "Black Watch" for its Grand Voyage in January so I shall decide after that if it is the best.:)

When we were on Boudicca over last Xmas/NY, we met a couple of senior ladies who said they always went on the Xmas cruise either on Boudicca or Black Watch. They even had a sign on one of the tables, announcing 'at home'. :)

They also said their favourite ship was the now-departed Black Prince.:(

FO certainly does have a loyal following.

wft

Thanks everyone for your encouraging replies, I feel a whole lot better now about our forthcoming cruise. My main memory of our Boudicca cruise is of endless queuing and grumpy crew members - may have been something to do with Norovirus!! Our cabin was absolutely fine (balcony) but our friends were in a rabbit hutch with a porthole. We are on deck 9 on Balmoral so hopefully no problems there other than a bit of rocking & rolling.

We had a lovely suite on Bridge Deck on Balmoral for our cruise to The Adriatic so, Atriumgirl, you should have a good trip. In a violent gale in The Bay of Biscay The room divider did rattle a bit but,oddly,I quite liked it!Eventually we got fed up with the free canapes which arrived at the wrong time for us as we were getting ready for dinner and had to time our baths/showers around their expected arrival. We cancelled them for the last part of the voyage! The balcony was lovely and perfect for hot weather in the Med.

Wow, canapes, that's a treat we didn't anticipate - although we may not get them in a JS. However, like you callas when we've had them on other ships the novelty soon wore off as they always arrived at the wrong time.

Katrus-83 - are you any the wiser about Balmoral cabins after all these slightly off-topic posts??

Archived