MSC on Great Stirrup Cay

JohnIreland

Just been reading the release of the MSC's 2013 itineraries and noticed they include stops on Great Stirrup Cay.

Are they going to be sharing with NCL or is there another port on the Island ?

They usually just do Cococay..:confused: What ship/month did you see GSC listed?

Edited by Got Tequila?

http://cruisett.com/content.php?175-MSC-Divina-to-homeport-from-Miami-for-2013-2014-winter-season

From 23 November 2013 to 5 April 2014, MSC Divina has a full schedule of eastern and western Caribbean 8-day/7-night cruises, departing every Saturday from Miami.

Three different itineraries will allow guests to choose the destinations in the Caribbean they would prefer to explore.

Four 8-day/7-night cruises call at Philipsburg in St. Maarten, San Juan in Puerto Rico and Great Stirrup Cay in the Bahamas.

Ten 8-day/7-night cruises call in Falmouth in Jamaica, Georgetown in the Cayman Islands, Cozumel in Mexico and Great Stirrup Cay in the Bahamas.

Six 8-day/7-night cruises call at Philipsburg in St. Maarten, Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas and Great Stirrup Cay in the Bahamas; and 1 8-day/7-night cruise features two overnights in in Bermuda (Hamilton) and a call at Great Stirrup Cay in the Bahamas.

I suspect that's a mistake on that site. I don't see the cruise listed that way on the MSC site or other booking sites. But then again, the MSC site isn't letting me see cruises past Nov 2013 either. Odd.

Maybe NCL is going to get some additional revenue by letting MSC use it on some days when they have nothing scheduled there?

Edited by jame_g

It does in Europe.

What John said.......the Epic tenders at Cannes. :)

But I've just seen another website that indicates that GSC will also be used by Regent Seven Seas - Seven Seas Navigator, as a stop during it's 11 night Miami to Miami trip, so could this gorgeous island get a tad crowded......or, as another poster suggested, when not in use by NCL, why not rent it out?

I would bet on non NCL days they are renting it out. Like a hotel unused rooms days you never recover if left unused. As far as I know GSC has never had more than one ship per day so no it will not be crowded.

That said I more worried about the breakaway with more people, same # of tenders and same beach space, same bbq line and same seating...

I would bet on non NCL days they are renting it out. Like a hotel unused rooms days you never recover if left unused. As far as I know GSC has never had more than one ship per day so no it will not be crowded.

That said I more worried about my trip on the breakaway with more people, same # of tenders and same beach space, same bbq line and same # of chairs... I may well book a cabana for that one.

What John said.......the Epic tenders at Cannes. :)

But I've just seen another website that indicates that GSC will also be used by Regent Seven Seas - Seven Seas Navigator, as a stop during it's 11 night Miami to Miami trip, so could this gorgeous island get a tad crowded......or, as another poster suggested, when not in use by NCL, why not rent it out?

Regent Seven Seas is also owned by Apollo Management (which owns NCL), so I can see reasoning in this particular case.

Edited by Seanote

Renting it out when not in use is good with me, but I find it a little unfair if NCL is to share it with another cruise line on the same day.

Yes and I plan on watching CC to see what happens when they start. If they are going the same day it might make me change my 2014 cruise which stops at GSC to one that doesn't.

• 5 months later...

Wanted to update people on this.

I was on the Holy Ship sailing this January, on the MSC Poesia, which stopped at Great Stirrup Cay. There were no other boats there on that day (NCL's), and MSC's crew manned the drink stations & everything else.

They also made you purchase drink packages on board the ship; they couldn't take your cards to the bars on the island.

NCL did have their people driving the tenders to the island.

My guess is its only going to be MSC on those days.

Wanted to update people on this.

I was on the Holy Ship sailing this January, on the MSC Poesia, which stopped at Great Stirrup Cay. There were no other boats there on that day (NCL's), and MSC's crew manned the drink stations & everything else.

They also made you purchase drink packages on board the ship; they couldn't take your cards to the bars on the island.

NCL did have their people driving the tenders to the island.

My guess is its only going to be MSC on those days.

Many thanks for the update! :)

How was your stay on GSC, and does it appear that most of the damage from Sandy has been repaired?

If NCL puts the extra revenue generated by this renting back to the island and the island is still primarily at NCL's usage, I think that this is really good thing for the island and it's never-ending development.

Using a web site rhat shows the ships in a port on a given day,I see MSC Divina there alone Nov 22 and 29, Dec 6, 13, 20 and 27. Of real interest, Divina is there 5 days in Jan 2014, the Pearl 2, Breakaway 1 and the Sky 8 and vacant 15 days.

GSC is not anywhere near fixing up after sandy

Its the ugliest island I've ever seen

Palm trees dead -- 1/2 done construction projects

rocks jutting out the little sand that has not been replaced at water's edge

water shoes / any shoes are a must -- even walking up higher away from water

Don't get me wrong - spending 3 hrs. on an island is better than being here in the cold -- but beautification is long long away

• 1 year later...

All I have to say is every cruise I have taken (5) have been on NCL out of 5 i've only made it to GSC 2 x's, I just booked my first cruise with MSC, and I am curious to find out if I will actually make it there this time? last 3 x's were a bust because of weather.