Cruising from Rome - advice please

We are thinking of taking the 7 night cruise from Rome September 16th, if anyone has cruised from Rome can you tell me if there are likely to be plenty of other English speakers or will all the entertainment etc be in Italian. Thanks for any info.

We are thinking of taking the 7 night cruise from Rome September 16th, if anyone has cruised from Rome can you tell me if there are likely to be plenty of other English speakers or will all the entertainment etc be in Italian. Thanks for any info.

There will be more Europeans but I do not understand your question, I cruised RCL from Rome almost identical to a Caribbean cruise as far as language(english), announcements were in different languages.

http://www.cruisinbob.com

It does depend on the actual number of Italian passengers that are on the ship. When we cruised there was an International Culteral Host on board, who worked with the Cruise Director during many shows. He did the various annoucements in Italian, and also hosted some game shows in Italian only ( Love and marriage and similar ) but there was still an English version as well. Some events were organised only for Italian guests, but the main language of the ship is still English. The host I refer to is not the same as an International Ambassador like those found on other ships, this position is more entertainment based. There will still be alot of English speakers on the ship, you will have fun, enjoy your cruise.

We recently cruised Mainer from Rome -- about 50% of the passengers were Italian with about 50 countries represented among the passengers. Announcements were in both English and Italian, English skills among the waitstaff was never an issue, and there were plenty of English speaking staff at the excursion and other desks.

Entertainment was also in both languages - did not make much difference with the musical and dance numbers; there were no comedians on our cruise. We had a great time (with 3 days in Rome before the cruise plus time in the UK both before and after the cruise) and are looking forward to another RCI cruise. Go for it! :)

Just off NOS. About 50% were Italian passengers. All announcements in English then Italian. Shows I saw were all in English. Staff I met all spoke enough english even if it was not their first language. Some quizes were done in both languages. Cinema had films shown in English ,then in Italian the times of these were clearly signposted in cruise compass.

You will not have any problems. Go ahead book it and enjoy.

You will be surprised how many of the Italian passengers speak English. Our Med cruise was the best one we have taken out of 11. Do not be hesitate to talk to the locals when you get to the ports; just watch you valuables, cameras, purses phones.

Sailed from Rome last year on Norwegian Jade. The passengers were a wild mix from all over...I thought that was great. American, English, Scottish, Irish, Australian, Italian (maybe 5%), Japenese, etc. But English is the primary language everywhere. We got announcements in 4 languages, but English always first and most detailed. The shows were mostly either song heavy and all the songs were English (such as the show "SHOUT") or the acts were without speaking at all (jugglers, acrobats, etc.) We enjoyed all the shows we saw.

We sailed from Rome late August and found 75% of the passengers were Italian and Spanish plus lots of multi generation families - however it seems that many large European cities - Rome, Paris etc seem to shut down in August and everyone goes on holiday - so I should think by September things may be more balanced.

We found that the shows in English were poorly attended, it was hard to get enthused with theaters only a quarter full. The only other thing you need to be prepared for is some Europeans have never heard of lining up and so tend to move right in, also fixed dining times seem to be treated more as a "'suggestion" - we found some Italian families showing up from 45- 60 mins late for their dining time at a few tables next to ours which put a lot of pressure on the dining room staff.

Archived