Halong City/junk terminal/tender question

Charlie Chan

Still trying to finalise our half day tour. Thank you to the great advice I've already found here.

We arrive by ship at 10.00am (Volendam) - had hoped to walk through the city (have read there is not much to do) then take a cruise round 1.00pm. There will probably be 8 to 10 of us.

Can the experts help me to understand the relationship - where the ship tenders dock, getting to the city and where the junks leave? Can we easily go from one to the other? I've looked at maps, but can't find any detail.

I have had a a reply from a cruise company who will take us at 1.00pm - pick up from tender/transport to junk/cruise/return to ship. Just as others have found, it's expensive. I'm guessing it would include hefty port fees?

We'd rather see the town before the cruise - don't leave Halong Bay till 11.00pm, but I don't imagine we'd find a lot to do after dark.

If we met the tour at the point where the junks depart, would this save high port fees? Is it easy to get there? We're being quoted round $45 to $50 pp for the cruise (no meal). Saving $20+ per person would help, even though it would still be greater than arranging it locally.

We haven't given up on the idea of arranging it when we arrive. I'm just trying to see the big picture at this stage.

Archived